Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Need help identifying a paint code.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:16 PM
animator
Senior User
animator is starting off with a positive reputation.
Need help identifying a paint code.

I'm curious to know if anyone can identify a factory ford paint scheme based on this photo. I don't have any decent pics of my truck clean and in good light, so this is the best I can come up with. Photo is a 92, I believe, and mine is a 93 (single cab short bed) with an identical paint scheme.

The sticker in the door jamb is missing, and using the VIN decoding tool does not get me anything related to paint schemes.

But from what I can tell, this is an original factory paint scheme, and I've seen other trucks with it, so I don't believe it to be aftermarket. I've owned the truck for a very long time, so I really have no reason to believe this is anything other than factory colors.

I have a few areas that need some attention, and I'd like to be able to buy the correct paint based on the number, but I have no way of getting that number that I'm aware of.

So, does anyone know factory paint codes enough to know based on this photo? Obviously it's gray and black, but several gray colors are listed for the year, and I do not know which one is correct.

Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2016, 07:17 PM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
Old 01-24-2016, 08:57 AM
animator
Senior User
I've seen that, as well as a handful of other websites where you can order factory match paint by the code.

Only problem is, I don't know the code, and there are 4 or 5 possibilities, and that's quite a bit to be ordering just to end up with only one that gets used...

That's why I'm hoping someone can say "oh yeah, that's the same paint scheme on my truck, and the code is ________ ". I've seen pics posted here of trucks with the same scheme, so I know it exists... It's not common, but it's out there.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:26 AM
choate
Elder User
choate has a good reputation on FTE.choate has a good reputation on FTE.
Wow Ford really went wild with the paint scheme choices. That's crazy

Old 01-24-2016, 06:49 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Posting Guru
My4Fordtrucks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.My4Fordtrucks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Looks silver and grey on my phone. Why not go to a body shop and look at their paint chips? They can mix up the paint and color match it.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:01 PM
MR KROGOTH
Elder User
MR KROGOTH has a good reputation on FTE.MR KROGOTH has a good reputation on FTE.
Go to the biggest dealership in your area, look for the parts guy with the grayest hair, ask him to help you get the paint code from the VIN.
He should be able to help you. I call a guy over @ Gullo Ford in Conroe to get this kind of info. He still has all the old microfilm and paper catalogues.

EDIT:
Does your color look anything like this combo?
http://www.purplewave.com/cgi-bin/mn...130501/B5455/1

I know we keep an extensive library of paint chips for cars/truck for decades back. Try a body shop in your area.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:16 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
FORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputation
i know this vin decoder gives you the paint codes too.at least it used to.it used to be free but it's a few bucks now.it gives you basically the whole build sheet info of the truck.it's cool.

Comprehensive Chevrolet, Saturn, GMC, Hummer, Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Geo, Dodge, Plymouth, Jeep, Chrysler, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Truck, Mercedes VIN Decoder

for example it gave me for chip truck (back a couple years) the following:
1993 F250 PICKUP 4X4
Built: May 11, 1993
Paint Code: EP - this is the main color here.the red.
Tutone Paint: MS - this is my middle section,section tone.
Trim Code: DD

then it lists a crap ton more info with all options the truck got and calls the interior:SCARLET
then i see for exterior:VERMILLION SOLID
then another option: WITH BODY TU-TONE PAINT
then what the center was:SMOKE MET #2

then you get a list off all options like axle type,axle ratios,trim codes,sliding rear winter,cassette and etc.etc.etc.the whole list.it's cool.

i since repainted it different colors to BRG metallic with blk center (totally transformed it too. dually/dump) but it shows what it came with.i never did pay for the one for log truck but i probably should.just cool info.

we can see the center mine used to be:SMOKE MET #2 is not what your truck is.yours is clearly a silver,rather than a grey.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:12 AM
animator
Senior User
Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks View Post
Looks silver and grey on my phone. Why not go to a body shop and look at their paint chips? They can mix up the paint and color match it.

This is my option of last resort...

Originally Posted by MR KROGOTH View Post
Go to the biggest dealership in your area, look for the parts guy with the grayest hair, ask him to help you get the paint code from the VIN.
He should be able to help you. I call a guy over @ Gullo Ford in Conroe to get this kind of info. He still has all the old microfilm and paper catalogues.

EDIT:
Does your color look anything like this combo?
1993 Ford F150 XLT pickup truck | no-reserve auction on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 |

I know we keep an extensive library of paint chips for cars/truck for decades back. Try a body shop in your area.

The dealership option is another good choice, and something I have considered as well. If I can't get anything, I will try a dealership around here.

The pics in that link are hard to tell for sure, but based on the photos, those appear more gray, and quite a bit lighter than my paint color.

Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT View Post
i know this vin decoder gives you the paint codes too.at least it used to.it used to be free but it's a few bucks now.it gives you basically the whole build sheet info of the truck.it's cool.

Comprehensive Chevrolet, Saturn, GMC, Hummer, Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Geo, Dodge, Plymouth, Jeep, Chrysler, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Truck, Mercedes VIN Decoder

for example it gave me for chip truck (back a couple years) the following:
1993 F250 PICKUP 4X4
Built: May 11, 1993
Paint Code: EP - this is the main color here.the red.
Tutone Paint: MS - this is my middle section,section tone.
Trim Code: DD

then it lists a crap ton more info with all options the truck got and calls the interior:SCARLET
then i see for exterior:VERMILLION SOLID
then another option: WITH BODY TU-TONE PAINT
then what the center was:SMOKE MET #2

then you get a list off all options like axle type,axle ratios,trim codes,sliding rear winter,cassette and etc.etc.etc.the whole list.it's cool.

i since repainted it different colors to BRG metallic with blk center (totally transformed it too. dually/dump) but it shows what it came with.i never did pay for the one for log truck but i probably should.just cool info.

we can see the center mine used to be:SMOKE MET #2 is not what your truck is.yours is clearly a silver,rather than a grey.

That center paint looks like a damn near perfect match. If it is indeed Smoke Metallic, that may be what I have...

Old 01-25-2016, 12:52 PM
MR KROGOTH
Elder User
MR KROGOTH has a good reputation on FTE.MR KROGOTH has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by animator View Post

The dealership option is another good choice, and something I have considered as well. If I can't get anything, I will try a dealership around here.

The pics in that link are hard to tell for sure, but based on the photos, those appear more gray, and quite a bit lighter than my paint color.
Shoot me your VIN and I'll call my guy and get an answer quickly with any luck.