Sponsored by:

V code/C code springs from ATS Springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 09:14 PM
BeesX
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V code/C code springs from ATS Springs

So I bought a 2001 V10 4x4 with stock suspension--112K miles in great shape. I'm going to be towing around 10,000lbs. from GA to IA around 4X/year, and using it as a family hauler the rest of the time (wife and 5 kids).
I read until I was blue in the face on what I needed to do to make this thing live up to its potential when towing and be stable, safe, and a pleasure to drive.
I put new Michelin LTX M/S2 265/75R16s on it, replaced the ball joints, put Monroe Reflex shocks on it, added a rear Hellwig sway bar and just ordered replacement springs.
After seeing recommendations on here for ATS springs, and talking with Junior from ATS Springs, he recommended V codes on the front with C codes on the rear, so I ordered them.
I have since read that aftermarket spring codes don't reflect the same spring capacity as Ford F250/350 codes, and now I'm wondering what, if anything, did I gain by ordering the aftermarket V codes for the front. I was told the ATS V codes had a capacity of 2230 each, and now I'm seeing a Ford chart that true Ford V codes have a capacity of 2600 each.
Did I mess up? Somebody reassure me that I'm going to be OK with these ATS V codes/C codes and will see drastic improvement in the handling/wandering. Or should I hold off on having them installed and get the 'real things' from Ford.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:42 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BeesX
So I bought a 2001 V10 4x4 with stock suspension--112K miles in great shape. I'm going to be towing around 10,000lbs. from GA to IA around 4X/year, and using it as a family hauler the rest of the time (wife and 5 kids).
I read until I was blue in the face on what I needed to do to make this thing live up to its potential when towing and be stable, safe, and a pleasure to drive.
I put new Michelin LTX M/S2 265/75R16s on it, replaced the ball joints, put Monroe Reflex shocks on it, added a rear Hellwig sway bar and just ordered replacement springs.
After seeing recommendations on here for ATS springs, and talking with Junior from ATS Springs, he recommended V codes on the front with C codes on the rear, so I ordered them.
I have since read that aftermarket spring codes don't reflect the same spring capacity as Ford F250/350 codes, and now I'm wondering what, if anything, did I gain by ordering the aftermarket V codes for the front. I was told the ATS V codes had a capacity of 2230 each, and now I'm seeing a Ford chart that true Ford V codes have a capacity of 2600 each.
Did I mess up? Somebody reassure me that I'm going to be OK with these ATS V codes/C codes and will see drastic improvement in the handling/wandering. Or should I hold off on having them installed and get the 'real things' from Ford.
Everyone that has them loves them...You'll be fine with ATS
WELCOME to the world of XXXs Your off to a GREAT start it would seem.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:58 AM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Everyone here loves their ATS springs.

Pics ??

Old 01-22-2016, 06:42 AM
BigBlueX
Senior User
I love my ATS setup. You will be happy too. Why didn't you just go with the X up front instead of the V? That would've put you just above the 5200lbs mark with about 1 more inch of lift.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:52 AM
BeesX
New User
Originally Posted by BigBlueX
I love my ATS setup. You will be happy too. Why didn't you just go with the X up front instead of the V? That would've put you just above the 5200lbs mark with about 1 more inch of lift.
Thanks for the replies so far.
BigBlueX: Junior at ATS said that I didn't need the X's if I didn't want the added lift--which I didn't. He said if I had gone with the X's up front then I would have had to add a block to the back. He said my simplest fix for stability and improved towing was to add V's up front and the C's in the rear, which would maintain the even to slightly high rear end.

Also, I just went and drove it at the garage after they added the rear Hellwig sway bar, but before they change the springs. Drives like a different vehicle around sharp curves and when turning in town. Wow--huge improvement. Can't wait to see the total difference with springs replaced.
The X also had an annoying 'rattle' under the front end when going over small bumps or when driving on dirt/gravel roads. I replaced the front sway bar bushings and link bushings with a kit from Energy Suspension, and the rattle is completely gone. Sounds like a new ride.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:33 AM
RubenG
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Congrats BeesX, I am interested in learning more about the ATS Springs. What part numbers did you order. I have just started to look at changing them and wanted to see which would be best. Now that you have done the swap, what would recommend?

Old 01-22-2016, 11:37 AM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the forums! With the non modded c codes it will sit correctly with their v code front springs. With the modded c code rears you pretty much need the x code fronts to keep it level. I love my ATS springs now that they are "broken in". They went through a noisy period where they squeaked pretty good, but after 3k miles they have settled and ride quiet. Towing heavy with the new springs is a much better experience and the swaybar is also a great addition. Pics when you are through!

Old 01-22-2016, 11:40 AM
BeesX
New User
Ruben,
The springs are being swapped today at the garage--I'm not doing it myself. I will post pics and measurements of before and after, along with noticeable handling/driving changes once the swap is done.
There were no part #'s from ATS on the invoice. Just the descriptions "replacement V code leaf spring, Front and replacement C code leaf spring, Rear".

Old 01-22-2016, 01:13 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you had the modified C codes they would be identified as "C-XL" instead of c code alone. At least they were on mine.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:53 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RubenG
Congrats BeesX, I am interested in learning more about the ATS Springs. What part numbers did you order. I have just started to look at changing them and wanted to see which would be best. Now that you have done the swap, what would recommend?
No KIT,No just pull it off the shelf...CALL Jr. at ATS & discus your personal desires & goals. He'll fix you up.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:00 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BeesX
I have since read that aftermarket spring codes don't reflect the same spring capacity as Ford F250/350 codes...
To address your initial concern in a little more detail, that was primarily referring to SDTruckSprings.com. Their literature states they're the same springs as the F250/350, but the rates are noticeably lower when compared. People that have done the V/C or X/C swap from SD have had measurably different results in handling and ride height compared to ATS, at least from what I've seen floating around here and other forums.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:50 PM
BeesX
New User
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
To address your initial concern in a little more detail, that was primarily referring to SDTruckSprings.com. Their literature states they're the same springs as the F250/350, but the rates are noticeably lower when compared. People that have done the V/C or X/C swap from SD have had measurably different results in handling and ride height compared to ATS, at least from what I've seen floating around here and other forums.
That's exactly what concerned me. I had an order placed with SDTruckSprings.com and then cancelled it after talking with Junior and ordering from ATS. However, I was still confused as to whether my V/C swap was going to be close to the same improvement folks got from doing a V/C swap with Ford springs.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:04 AM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes, you'll be right on the money with ATS. I have a Ford spring swap on mine and neither myself nor my friend can tell the difference between his ATS springs and my Ford ones.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:17 AM
BigBlueX
Senior User
I think Junior himself said that they use the exact same manufacturing process that Ford uses to build their springs right down to the building materials.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:14 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ATS is the bees's knees when it comes to springs in my opinion! You will not be disappointed!

Quick Reply: V code/C code springs from ATS Springs