Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Stumped on No Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 05:12 PM
Flame Out
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stumped on No Start

I have been working on this for a week now and could sure use some suggestions. Here is the situation. 1999 F-250 with 160,000 miles on the OD. Standard Tranny.

-20 degrees (F).

Fuel filled two days earlier. NO anti-gel added 'cause dummy forgot.

Block heater plugged in. I could here the coolant gurgling with the heat.

Truck started without trouble. Not aware of white smoke.

Got down the road about 4 miles before it started missing and serious power loss.

Attempted numerous restarts. Started, ran rough and died. I checked the fuel filter by draining and refilling. Would not restart.

Towed home and here it sits. Added 32 ounces of Red 911 and a bottle of Sea Foam to tank. Added 50/50 Red 911 and Diesel to fuel bowl. Cranks but will not start. Block heater plugged in. No smoke apparent. Re-charged the batteries.

Changed GPR. Tested GPR and volts at 11.2.

Oil at top of dipstick.

Glow plugs last changed about 87,000 miles ago.

Cam Position Sensor replaced 68,000 miles ago.

I suspect the missing and cutout was caused by gelling of the fuel or water in the fuel. Plenty of additives since.

My failure to treat fuel was the bonehead error of all time. But, life must go on. Not sure what to do next. I hate trailering it to a mechanic without having a good idea what the problem is. It could be as simple as the fuel.

I have read other similar threads here and am getting confused. What are the most likely problems? Am I missing something?

Thanks is advance.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:28 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Know anybody with a heated garage u can borrow for a few hours

Old 01-17-2016, 06:27 PM
Flame Out
Senior User
I wish I did. Not around here except for a trucking outfit and they are pretty busy with their own stuff.

I could put an electric heater under the truck. You think under the fuel tank?

The fuel filter bowl is filling and draining. Perhaps there is too much water in the fuel?

Old 01-17-2016, 06:58 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

If fuel bowl is filling & draining try draining the fuel bowl 3-4 times to try & clear the fuel lines from the tank ? Sounds like the fuel in your tank is ok with all the additives. Might be frozen in the fuel rails. Just taking a wag here. Watch your voltage also, these trucks need 10.4 volts(app) minimum to start. Make sure u don't run the batts too low cranking a lot. Cant say about the electric heater- just be careful with it. If your getting the fuel bowl to fill your tank isn't frozen up.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:50 PM
Flame Out
Senior User
Finally achieved ignition and lift-off at 1628 hours. Temp warmed to 33 degrees for the first time in eight days. Filled and drained the fuel filter bowl about 20 times. I caught the drained fuel in a bucket and noticed it did not smell like diesel. So, kept going and trying restarts. Had the batteries on a charger for most of the day. I must have gotten most of the water out of the system following that -20 degree night last week. Really glad it was nothing more serious. I bought glow plus and a cam sensor just in case. Many of the failed starts these past eight days did not produce noticeable white smoke. The fuel rails might have been frozen with water which finally melted during the warmer day. Henceforth, when temps drop that low, I plan to place a light bulb on top of the engine to keep the rails warmer.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:43 PM
isaachelgestad
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool I have no idea why my trucks not starting

I have a 1996 Ford F-150 4.9L Inline 6 Manuel Transmission. Truck started fine in the morning after having not been driven in a week. Drove it to my school, and let it sit for about 5 hours. Finally got back to it, and it started like a charm. I then drove to lunch and left it for about 30 minutes. I tried to start it and all of the sudden i get absolutely nothing. All that works are the electrical components such as the lights, radio, ect...Ive replaced the battery, spark plugs, starter, battery cables, alternator, and today, the fender mounted starter solenoid relay. Still nothing! The only other thing I can think of is the wiring around these pieces. Any ideas?

Old 01-19-2016, 09:21 PM
Flame Out
Senior User
I do not mean to appear like a bureaucrat, but you are on a diesel truck forum. You might want to repost your question in the "Older Truck: 1984 to 1996 F-150" forum. The people there are more tuned to gasoline engine problems and ready to help.

Others here might have some thoughts but posting in both places might be quicker for you.

Good luck!

Old 01-20-2016, 07:02 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Flame Out
...Henceforth, when temps drop that low, I plan to place a light bulb on top of the engine to keep the rails warmer.
Assuming you still have a working block heater in there, that takes care of everything under the hood - but not in the tank or the fuel lines/pump on the frame. You need some safe heat under the truck for a while to get the juices flowing. This may involve rigging up a temporary drape under the driver side of the truck to trap warmer air.

While others may gasp in horror, I'd personally risk some cardboard and my thermostat-controlled electric space heater that can adjust to 750 watts. The unit I have doesn't get hot to the touch, and the label suggests putting flammables 36" from the unit. [
LINK LINK
]

Old 01-20-2016, 09:10 AM
Absolute
Elder User
At Home Depot you can buy in the plumbing section, a plug in heater line. Its used to wrap around copper pipe to stop from freezing. It has a sensor on the end that shuts it off if it gets above 35f, so it wont over heat. Its like a flat extension cord and you could zig zag under the tank, and along the fuel line for the night. I have several I use outside to keep lines running. They come in several lengths, and are totally safe. If you take your time and plan it right you could hook it up permanently and just unplug it like the block heater when your using the truck. They sell the foam tubing too to add some line protection. I put the heat line around the fuel line, then the foam over that. Foam even has sticky tape on it so it seals shut after.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:34 AM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Flame Out
Finally achieved ignition and lift-off at 1628 hours. Temp warmed to 33 degrees for the first time in eight days. Filled and drained the fuel filter bowl about 20 times. I caught the drained fuel in a bucket and noticed it did not smell like diesel. So, kept going and trying restarts. Had the batteries on a charger for most of the day. I must have gotten most of the water out of the system following that -20 degree night last week. Really glad it was nothing more serious. I bought glow plus and a cam sensor just in case. Many of the failed starts these past eight days did not produce noticeable white smoke. The fuel rails might have been frozen with water which finally melted during the warmer day. Henceforth, when temps drop that low, I plan to place a light bulb on top of the engine to keep the rails warmer.
Good to hear u are on the road again- Keep some 911 or water dispersant in the tank when it gets real cold & should be ok-

Old 01-20-2016, 12:08 PM
Flame Out
Senior User
Originally Posted by guitarpicr
Good to hear u are on the road again- Keep some 911 or water dispersant in the tank when it gets real cold & should be ok-
You got that right. I am carrying:
DS White
DS Red 911
Sea Foam
GPR
Fuel filter
Cam sensor
Glow Plugs
tool box

It is good this is an extended cab or there would not be room for me.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:39 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Don't forget a stretch of semi-rigid 5/16" fuel line to get those glow plugs out.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:59 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
I would immediately address that 11.2v battery reading.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:02 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Whitey Ford
I would immediately address that 11.2v battery reading.
That is a normal reading for GPs on, engine not running.