1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Pulling Codes with Torque

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 11:57 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pulling Codes with Torque

Was helping a kid on Saturday with a 02 Superduty 7.3. Truck would run, had CEL on, no power at all, couldn't even pull itself up a small hill.

Put my torque on it to pull codes, no codes were found. Checked data, everything seemed to be working in that regard.

This happened one other time on green, after I re sealed the oil cooler I was having trouble getting it to start. I unplugged the ICP and it started but ran rough, CEL was on, checked it with torque (knowing I would/should get a code for ICP), and go no codes. Didn't think much of it then.

After sticking an actual scanner on it, The Superduty ended up being the drivers side bank wasn't firing. They checked the UVCH and all was well. No detectable shorts. Swapped an IDM in and it was running. I think it may have gotten water inside.

Was wondering if anyone else had this problem? It was kinda a perk of having this was being able to pull codes. And it has been done before hasn't it? Is there a setting that needs to be changed or enabled? Maybe the ability was lost in a software update?

Any insight for the future would be awesome. As you never know when you may need to pull codes.

BTW as a test, I pulled codes on something else, and it worked fine and gave me codes, so I know my hardware seems to be working.

I may also post on the superduty side and see if Tugly has anything to say on the matter.

Last edited by madMatador78; 01-15-2016 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 01-15-2016, 12:07 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in the same boat as you. I think TP can't get IDM codes, but maybe you'll find out that I'm wrong.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:09 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
I wondered that as well, Phil. I know you cant buzz with torque, But I thought it would at least see an ICP code, or HPOP code. Now I'm really curious.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:12 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
I think it should see ICP codes and the like. I've been meaning to test this on mine, but with my shoulder injury and everyone and their brother in the hospital right now I just can't get to it lol.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:16 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
My thoughts as well, I know it has no problem reading it in the live data. That's how Aaron found out the problem on his brother in laws truck.

How is your shoulder? Been wondering. That must be painful. Hope everyone feels better soon. Hospitals are no fun.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:17 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
I sure like the app I will say that. I might try to pull codes tonight on josh truck. It's all in pieces so it should set ipr and icp codes lol
I'm curious myself. It really is a great little tool. Can't wait to get rid of this apple thing and get a nice normal android device.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:23 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
For the money, it is fantastic. I have gotten lots of valuable information with it. But in that case, knowing there were injectors not working/firing would have helped point to a diagnosis. Maybe I expect too much for the money. lol.

Maybe its time for AutoEnginuity. lol. I could use it for more than just my truck.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:29 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Yeah, Aaron let us know what you find out. We all need to put our heads together and hammer out exactly what its limitations are. We know it can't do the buzz test or CCT.

I noticed when I tried pulling codes last time that the WTS kept flickering like the pcm kept resetting itself. I suppose that would make it impossible for a code to be pulled.

My shoulder is healing I think. Some days its still really sore, but today its feeling pretty good. MRI on Monday, see the doc on Wednesday. If nothing is torn, I'm just going to rehab it and pray it doesn't happen again. I should probably quit playing basketball, but I love it too much. If I dislocate it again I'm getting the surgery. It makes you feel like only half a man to not be able to take care of your family the way you should.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:30 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Originally Posted by madMatador78
Maybe its time for AutoEnginuity. lol. I could use it for more than just my truck.
I've been thinking that myself, but wow its expensive.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:39 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Originally Posted by cowmilker08
Yeah, Aaron let us know what you find out. We all need to put our heads together and hammer out exactly what its limitations are. We know it can't do the buzz test or CCT.

I noticed when I tried pulling codes last time that the WTS kept flickering like the pcm kept resetting itself. I suppose that would make it impossible for a code to be pulled.

My shoulder is healing I think. Some days its still really sore, but today its feeling pretty good. MRI on Monday, see the doc on Wednesday. If nothing is torn, I'm just going to rehab it and pray it doesn't happen again. I should probably quit playing basketball, but I love it too much. If I dislocate it again I'm getting the surgery. It makes you feel like only half a man to not be able to take care of your family the way you should.

I put in a message to Rich, maybe he will stop by.

I have seen that too, I though maybe it was some sort of KOEO test. But I agree, there have been no real statements on what it can and cant do, besides what we already know (Buzz, CCT, Ect...)

Great on the healing, hopefully they find nothing wrong on the MRI and no surgery will be needed. Prayers coming your way for that. This getting older crap just sucks. I know they tell us young guys to suck it up, but ultimately were avoiding the inevitable. lol. You will get it all sorted out. Prayers for quick healing, and no further re injury.

Originally Posted by cowmilker08
I've been thinking that myself, but wow its expensive.
Yeah it is, but I figure in comparison to a 6K scanner, its rather cheap. I suppose you could find an old SnapOn Brick scanner, that would work too. But there is no support for newer stuff. Which isn't necessarly a big deal. They are relatively cheap on Ebay.

If only I would have won that powerball.........Oh wait, I would have had to play first!!! lol.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:38 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Hey guys,

I just have a sec here (until Saturday). Don't AE up just yet - the Giotto version totally sucks. Download the beta version of FORScan, the price is right - free for Windows, and inexpensive "lite" versions for Android and Apple. It's not a good gauge set like TP, but it's a great stand-in for AE.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:44 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
I'll have to give that a go.

I need to get the screen on my tablet replaces, I kinda had a oops last week, and ran it over with the front tire of my truck. It still works fine, but the screen is trashed, and the little glass shards in the fingers are unpleasant.

Thanks for stopping in Rich! Hopefully you can shed some more light when you have some more time.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:33 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
For scan... I like it. I have a USB to obd2 cable from my vagcom vw. Sweet! Still like tp for the live gauge data!

Old 01-15-2016, 08:32 PM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When my IDM was bad, I had no CEL, and Torque Pro definitely didn't pull a code.

I don't know if there was a code or not, but I couldn't see one. So I'm just offering my experience.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:44 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I used Torque Pro a couple of times for code pulling because of convenience (it was already hooked up, and I didn't feel like getting the carputer out of the bag). Other than that, I don't use it for anything more than gauge monitoring/logging/alarms. The reason behind this: Many of the most powerful codes we need to troubleshoot the truck come from performing built-in tests like KOEO, KOER, Buzz, Cylinder Rotational Velocity, etc.... If the app doesn't do that - find something that does.

FORScan is a new and developing thing. They haven't had the opportunity to polish the product yet - but I'd like to buy the developer(s) a beer.

Car Gauge Pro is inexpensive and powerful - but it has absolutely the worst user interface a human could conceive to write into code. It's like they want to keep the capabilities of the app and the vehicle a secret - yet the dedicated soul can run all the tests available in the truck.

AE rocked - until Giotto came out to deal with Windows 8.x. You can't save your configurations anymore, so you have to select and configure every PID every time you hook up. Oh... and one or two of the PIDs operate the opposite of what they are supposed to - so they can't be used for data.

Quick Reply: Pulling Codes with Torque