1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

steering help on e350

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 06:35 PM
BogginWagon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering help on e350

Hey all...considering some mods to my van, a 00 15 passenger with a 5.4 to improve steering. I've done the entire front end twice and have added caster to it as well. It's still a white knuckle ride at interstate speeds and constantly fights me and is a pain on long trips. The alignment is perfect and has been rechecked multiple times. Looking at other posts on here, there are options out there. For the money, what would you guys recommend for the greatest change in steering feel? Rear wheel spacers, hellwig bar, safe T steer, roadmaster active suspension, and others are up for discussion. Experiences, pros and cons are welcome. Just want my van safe for my wife and seven children. ANY suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Old 01-08-2016, 07:23 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does it have a steering stabilizer?

Old 01-08-2016, 08:42 PM
Jmanb13
Senior User
Alignment is definitely the first thing to look at which you already did.

If you do not feel safe driving it on the highway and it wanders around really easily and you have to make large adjustments on the steering, i'd look to the steering gear being shot.

Does the steering wheel have lots of play before it moves the tires? Jack up the front end and stand outside the van while turning the steering wheel to see how much you can move the wheel before the tires move. If you can move the steering more than an inch or so back and forth without it moving the wheels your steering gear needs adjustment or replacement. You can also just see how much movement the steering has when the van isn't running. With the engine off, if you can move the steering wheel back and forth quite a bit and there is no resistance then again replacement or adjustment of steering gear.

Mine was terrible to drive because the steering gear was shot. My steering wheel had a good 4 to 6 inches of play without moving the tires. I replaced the steering gear from redhead steering gears and the thing drives like a dream now.

If your steering is nice and tight, i'd look to shocks being worn or adding a steering stabilizer. Sway bars are only going to make a difference when turning, they don't do much of anything when driving straight.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:05 PM
BogginWagon
New User
Vettex-No, it does not currently have a stabilizer shock. I was wondering about the safe t steer system. It has good reviews, but is almost 500 bucks. Is there any other one you'd recommend or have tried? The one mentioned in the steering fix thread is available here for half that. Is it effective?

My steering gear is probably in need of replacement with over 300k miles on the van. Btw, I work at a tire and alignment shop and do these repairs all the time. I measured the actual steering play, and it is only two inches. That's what seems odd to me. All ball joints, tie rod ends, and bushings are new moog. Brand new tires, and+5 degrees of caster on right front. That all helped, and on flat roads, it does great. Hit some rough pavement and it walks all over the place. Shocks are new too-Monroe rv shocks all around. I work on these vans ans service several fleets of them on a regular basis. I have never had this much of a time with a ford van. I'm stumped!

Old 01-08-2016, 10:27 PM
tabijan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 163 Likes on 153 Posts
I have nothing against modifications but these vans felt good enough to me when new that modifications seem like band aids. We got a good used steering box around 190K miles and thoughts of stabilizers, dampers and sway bars dropped waaay down the wish list.

Sixto
93 E150 Chateau 5.8 194K miles

Old 01-08-2016, 11:33 PM
Jmanb13
Senior User
Are you saying 2 inches of steering play before you start feeling resistance, or 2 inches of steering play with immediate resistance?

If you can move it 2 inches before resistance starts then that is an issue. Mine has zero play before you feel resistance.

I have 208k on my van and the steering box was crap. If you have 300k+ and it has never been replaced, I would replace it without even thinking, especially considering you have all those new steering components. They are going to waste if you still have a **** steering box that has lots of play.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:53 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
This same issue has been discussed here many times, one link quite extensively addressing it. Try these:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ering-fix.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...one-right.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-problems.html These might be helpful.

If you've added caster, up to +5 degrees, know for certain the front AND rear springs are in good condition and the front steering components are also in good condition the steering stabilizer system as offered by Ford is one cure many have used and swear by.

If this is just a steering box issue and you don't mind spending big money on a top quality box contact Redhead steering gear---be prepared to spend about $400 plus send them a core in advance.

I installed a reman'd Ford box due a leaking lower shaft seal and they do feel a bit "loose", almost too easily to effect a change of direction, the rear end sway making almost constant steering corrections an every day thin, "twitchy" is one way to describe it.

I'm convinced a variable ratio steering box would be great, slower ratio at the very center, faster ratio as the steering wheel would hit the 3 & 9 o'clock positions. Just an idea...................

Old 01-09-2016, 06:37 AM
BogginWagon
New User
Thanks everyone for the replies. I had never heard of redhead gears before. I have used companies before that not only rebuild, but re engineer components to make them better than original. That sounds like a great use of the money to me.

I guess where I've driven ambulances with more miles on them than my van after doing front end service on them and seeing such a difference in them, I never considered a gear on mine.

I would like to ask about the rear wheel spacers from super steer tho. thoughts on those? I've seen about as much good as bad experiences with them. I had considered a dual conversion, but can't due to my van being a slider

Old 01-09-2016, 10:19 AM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Check the gearbox play. if it OK, get a stabilizer. Use ford brackets and a aftermarket stabilizer.
Are the shocks OK?

Old 01-09-2016, 10:29 AM
BogginWagon
New User
Shocks are all brand new Monroe rv shocks. made a huge difference. everything I've done has made it better, but not where the wife feels safe with seven children. I do most of the driving when we're together, but I want a better experience overall that doesn't wear me out so bad on long trips. The stabilizer I think will be a good addition along with a new box.

JWA- the van sits level and the springs aren't sagging that I notice, but you think with the miles on them that replacing them at the same time as the gear will be worthwhile?

Old 01-09-2016, 01:01 PM
Jmanb13
Senior User
I used the redhead steering gears when I replaced mine. They are wonderful.

It was about $400 with core charge and shipping. Core was $100 so once I returned it, the cost was around $300 with shipping.

This was the one I got.
1980-97 Ford F-Series With 2 Bolt Top Cover | RedHeadSteeringGears.com

I'm not sure if the later vans kept the same steering gears. If they updated the gears on the newer vans to match the F series then your looking at serious $$$. The 2008-2012 F250 gears are 546+300 core.

I would be cautious with wheel spacers, unless you have a full float axle. They cause lots of extra stress on the bearings and can cause failure.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:51 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BogginWagon
Shocks are all brand new Monroe rv shocks. made a huge difference. everything I've done has made it better, but not where the wife feels safe with seven children. I do most of the driving when we're together, but I want a better experience overall that doesn't wear me out so bad on long trips. The stabilizer I think will be a good addition along with a new box.

JWA- the van sits level and the springs aren't sagging that I notice, but you think with the miles on them that replacing them at the same time as the gear will be worthwhile?
Waste of time.

Originally Posted by Jmanb13
I used the redhead steering gears when I replaced mine. They are wonderful.

It was about $400 with core charge and shipping. Core was $100 so once I returned it, the cost was around $300 with shipping.

This was the one I got.
1980-97 Ford F-Series With 2 Bolt Top Cover | RedHeadSteeringGears.com

I'm not sure if the later vans kept the same steering gears. If they updated the gears on the newer vans to match the F series then your looking at serious $$$. The 2008-2012 F250 gears are 546+300 core.

I would be cautious with wheel spacers, unless you have a full float axle. They cause lots of extra stress on the bearings and can cause failure.
I agree.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:59 PM
BogginWagon
New User
Thanks for the info everyone! I will order a redhead gear the end of the month or so when tax time comes. I do have a ff rear. It's an open diff 3.55. I'm kind of torn on the spacers. I've seen guys who really like them on these vans, and people who have had axle bearing failures bc of them. I'll do the gear first and then update on the results.

Has anyone done the roadmaster active suspension? those look intriguing.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:42 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by BogginWagon

I don't see where you list the mileage or what use this E350 has seen over its years. Is it a Club Wagon, hauling a load of people constantly? Or most miles driven while mostly empty?

Ride height is a sure way to determine if springs have sagged over time---rear springs being more highly influential to a vehicles overall handling characteristics than most know or realize, are probably the most overlooked part of suspension. Find a good big truck spring shop, one that's recommended by actual users not the "facebook" or Yelp ratings---people who use trucks to make a living. This type of shop knows their Do-Do, can work wonders in areas you may never suspect.

As an example---I run a 2003 E250 extended body, arrived to me completely empty weighing 5,300#---it now tips the scales at 7,800# as a daily driver/work van---that load is consistent from day-to-day. PO was a trucking company using this van for expedited shipments---anything that would fit inside was transported. I'm sure more than a few times rear springs were a bit stressed to handle on-board cargo. Ride height was "normal", handling was for shyte.

As a quick easy test a set of AirLift air bags were installed---instant improvement without any changes in daily load or other modifications. (FWIW I run Bilstein shocks and Hellwig front & rear sway bars.)

Adding a single leaf to the stock spring pack, renewing spring bushings and rear hangers I have a brand new van---with 217,800 miles anyway.

Long story even longer now before you throw a ton of money up front get an idea what's happening in the rear. Without a proper diagnosis its a losing battle with the budget replacing parts that might otherwise be in perfect condition. Don't treat the symptom, treat the cause.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:01 AM
BogginWagon
New User
JWA- the van is a 2000 extended passenger van that I bought severely used as a cargo van/work van for most of its life. I completely rebuilt the entire interior including all seatbelts and brand new seats from a 2010. I have been thru just about every system on this van. Rebuilt engine, trans, front end, and interior. It's rated at 9100 dry, and on a regular basis with seven children and their stuff, it's probably close to 10k or over. Mileage is 304k on body, mechs are all new. Looking at the rear springs, I do have a bushing and hangar that looks suspect. There may be something to what you're saying. I'll look into prices of springs next I think.

Thanks for your time and input, all.

Quick Reply: steering help on e350