Sponsored by:

Ban on coal rollers..

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 11:22 PM
gman97005
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ban on coal rollers..

A modified diesel owner in new jersey 'rolled coal' all over a Toyota Prius which just happened to belong to a US Senator, that same US Senator passed a bill 36 - 0 banning coal rollers in new jersey and levying heavy ($5,000) fines against vehicles emitting visible smoke, these coal rollers have made it a point to 'give the finger' to environmentalists by rolling coal all over an economy / hybrid / electric car as can be witnessed by any one of dozens of videos on youtube demonstrating their 'blackness?' and now environmentalists are giving the finger right back to the coal rollers and this bill will most likely spread like wildfire to other states..

'Coal rolling' ban approved by N.J. Senate | NJ.com

Old 01-05-2016, 02:15 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Idiocy, I wish these morons would stop trying to write laws about subjects they know nothing about. I'm no fan of "rolling coal" I think it should be ticketed and any jack-hole does it to me with my window down there's a good chance their truck will end up with a few ".45 holes.

But this idiotic law makes it illegal to have stacks. Stacks don't make smoke stacks direct exhaust up, heck even "rolling coal" with stacks isn't that big of a deal, it's the jerks that do it with side exhaust. Idiocy.

S2418

1. No person shall retrofit any diesel-powered vehicle with any device, smoke stack, or other equipment which enhances the vehicle’s capacity to emit soot, smoke, or other particulate emissions, or shall purposely release significant quantities of soot, smoke, or other particulate emissions into the air and onto roadways and other vehicles while operating the vehicle, colloquially referred to as “coal rolling.” Any person who violates this section shall be subject to the penalties established pursuant to section 27 of P.L.2005, c.219 (C.26:2C-8.52) and any other applicable law.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:55 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,158 Likes on 2,202 Posts
old news, that was quite a while ago.
and i do not agree with the fine. i think it should be $20,000, and the truck should be impounded and not released until it is fixed to pass opacity test.

these rectal orifices in the smoke belching pieces of crap make all diesel truck owners look bad.

lucking for us ford owners, most of the dipsticks drive dodge mall crawlers.
but to the uneducated drivers on the road a diesel truck is a diesel truck. it dont make any difference if it is being driven by a 60 year old that worked all his life to afford it and treats it like one of his children, or a 17 year old snot licker that has mommy and daddy buy him everything he wants.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:31 AM
gman97005
Elder User
Agreed, a select few ruined it for the majority.. It was the emergence of coal rolling clubs and organizations promoting this type of behavior that caused the problem to grow to epidemic proportions.. I've had black smoke head in my direction and i was none too pleased about it..
Next project, place a ban on train horns
The same type of people who want nothing more than just to irritate others, throw them under the bus as well..

Old 01-05-2016, 08:42 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
yea. that law has been on the books for over a year now, but the police are only going after the dodge boys in the mall crawlers with the 12 inch stovepipes in the bed that take pleasure in closing down roads.
they do not bother us regular working stiffs that give a little puff when leaving a traffic light.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:25 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 1,017 Likes on 778 Posts
Originally Posted by BruteFord
1. No person shall retrofit any diesel-powered vehicle with any device, smoke stack, or other equipment which enhances the vehicle’s capacity to emit soot, smoke, or other particulate emissions, or shall purposely release significant quantities of soot, smoke, or other particulate emissions into the air and onto roadways and other vehicles while operating the vehicle, colloquially referred to as “coal rolling.” Any person who violates this section shall be subject to the penalties established pursuant to section 27 of P.L.2005, c.219 (C.26:2C-8.52) and any other applicable law.
so my unmodified 2010 f-450 with the 6.4 can be ticketed if an enforcement office sees my truck do its "regen" thing.

Originally Posted by BruteFord
emit soot, smoke, or other particulate emissions, or shall purposely release significant quantities of soot, smoke, or other particulate emissions into the air and onto roadways and other vehicles while operating the vehicle,

Old 01-06-2016, 11:02 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
nope, regen is normal operation.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:13 AM
gman97005
Elder User
The law clearly states that engines that are modified to emit emit soot or visible smoke, ..

Old 01-06-2016, 03:08 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
so my unmodified 2010 f-450 with the 6.4 can be ticketed if an enforcement office sees my truck do its "regen" thing.
Yes technically, the word 'or' is key.

Originally Posted by gman97005
The law clearly states that engines that are modified to emit emit soot or visible smoke, ..
No, it says 'vehicle' not 'engine' so any modification to the entirety of the vehicle. It also uses the word 'or' a lot vs. 'and' this is a VERY important distinction in law.

So the phrase "any device, smoke stack, or other equipment" covers EVERYTHING, and specifically outlaws "smoke stacks". Which is an idiotic term in this application, but it's in a poorly written law, written by an idiot so....

It goes on "emit soot, smoke, or other particulate emissions" this again covers EVERYTHING, all forms of visible exhaust. Most notably water vapor which all vehicles emit, is often visible, and is water particulates.

Law Enforcement may only be enforcing this on true coal rollers now but look at the history of all laws like this. They almost all end up strictly enforced to the letter much more then the intent.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:20 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 1,017 Likes on 778 Posts
yes, I agree with BruteFord....my stock vehicle does this all the time...so if I get a ticket...I need to go to court and tell the Judge the intent of the law is folks who modify their vehicles and I did not....swear to god I didnt. Hes going to say not to tell him what the intent of the law is....hes the judge.

"or shall purposely release significant quantities of soot, smoke, or other particulate emissions into the air and onto roadways and other vehicles while operating the vehicle"

Old 01-06-2016, 03:23 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
BUT...

Oddly enough the only two places the word "and" is used may be the saving grace of this law for a decently capable defendant. "or shall purposely release significant quantities of soot, smoke, or other particulate emissions into the air and onto roadways and other vehicles while operating the vehicle" So for this clause the emissions must not only enter the air(duhh) AND onto roadways(on the road, that means down) AND another vehicle. So by the letter the emission must strike the road AND another vehicle. Again, more idiotic wording, it completely contradicts the rest of the poorly worded law. But could also constitute a decent defense.

EDIT..

It would go something like "I move to dismiss the charges due to not meeting all elements of the alleged crime. Your honor will please note that the law applies to particulate exhaust that contacts both the roadway and another vehicle. You're honor will also please note that the ticketing officer provided no evidence or testimony that the alleged exhaust particulates struck the roadway AND another vehicle. I therefor motion to dismiss the charges due to insufficient evidence.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:52 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Holly overeducated moron Batman. I looked up the Senator that sponsored this trash Sen. Linda Greenstein. I think this law could be grounds for her to sue Georgetown University. This stupid B has a JD(Judicial Doctorate) from Georgetown. All that education and THIS is how she words a law.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:09 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Quibbling over the wording isn't to the point of what gives someone the right to purposely pollute our air and water? Some call it "freedom" but I call it inconsiderate and mean spirited jerks.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:03 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
Quibbling over the wording isn't to the point of what gives someone the right to purposely pollute our air and water? Some call it "freedom" but I call it inconsiderate and mean spirited jerks.
it's primarily done by uneducated red necks and hill billy's who think it's just smoke and since it goes away from site right away it no longer exists.completely oblivious (or worst in some cases,without care) on what it does to the air.what's sad is that we need the law so stupid people will stop doing it.

If we sell you our land, remember that the air is precious to us, that the air shares its spirit with all the life that it supports. The wind that gave our grandfather his first breath also received his last sigh. The wind also gives our children the spirit of life. So if we sell our land, you must keep it apart and sacred, as a place where man can go to taste the wind that is sweetened by the meadow flowers.

Will you teach your children what we have taught our children? That the earth is our mother? What befalls the earth befalls all the sons of the earth.

This we know: the earth does not belong to man, man belongs to the earth.
- Chief Seattle

Old 01-16-2016, 07:31 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
it's primarily done by uneducated red necks and hill billy's who think it's just smoke and since it goes away from site right away it no longer exists.completely oblivious (or worst in some cases,without care) on what it does to the air.what's sad is that we need the law so stupid people will stop doing it.
no, it is primarily done by immature wannabe redneck jerks driving a $50k truck mommy and daddy pay for who think it is cool to fill an intersection or fuel efficient car with black smoke.

Quick Reply: Ban on coal rollers..