1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

'96 F250, Charging question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 06:49 AM
ultraclyde
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'96 F250, Charging question

Hi all - I'm new to diesels but just picked up a '96 F250 XLT Supercab, 2wd to use as a tow mule for a large boat. We plan on buying the boat late in 2016, so I've been watching craigslist for a good deal on a tow vehicle. I got a good deal on the truck, it's only got 230k on it and the driveline has been well maintained and never modified. Cosmetically it's rough but livable, and it needs a lot of minor peripheral work. I'm fixing all the mechanicals and functional issues, but I'm not too worried about cosmetics, at least not yet.

Anyway, on to my charging question. When I first crank the truck the voltmeter reads low. Once I get the RPMs up, like driving to the end of the street, it's steady just above the halfway mark, right where I would expect it. After that it stays right where it should even when sitting at idle for a while.

The serp belt was making a lot of racket when I bought the truck so I slapped a new one on - thought it was slipping until warmed up. No change in voltage but it is much quieter.

Both batteries look very new, group 65 Interstates. No problems cranking - it fires right off. Cables are clean and in good shape.

I suspect either the regulator (on the alternator) or the alternator itself are going bad, unless you guys tell me this normal for these engines. I've wrenched on stuff for 30 years, and it certainly doesn't seem normal to me but this is my first oil burner.

I don't mind replacing the alternator given the prices at Rock Auto, but I'd hate to do it if this is a "feature" and not a "bug."

Also, how do you tell if you've got the 65amp or the 130? With power windows and such, I'm guessing the larger but ...? If it is the 65, is the 130 a bolt in swap?

Thanks guys. Stay tuned for more dumb newbie questions.

Dave

Old 01-04-2016, 08:36 AM
lee00
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ultraclyde
Hi all - I'm new to diesels but just picked up a '96 F250 XLT Supercab, 2wd to use as a tow mule for a large boat. We plan on buying the boat late in 2016, so I've been watching craigslist for a good deal on a tow vehicle. I got a good deal on the truck, it's only got 230k on it and the driveline has been well maintained and never modified. Cosmetically it's rough but livable, and it needs a lot of minor peripheral work. I'm fixing all the mechanicals and functional issues, but I'm not too worried about cosmetics, at least not yet.

Anyway, on to my charging question. When I first crank the truck the voltmeter reads low. Once I get the RPMs up, like driving to the end of the street, it's steady just above the halfway mark, right where I would expect it. After that it stays right where it should even when sitting at idle for a while.

The serp belt was making a lot of racket when I bought the truck so I slapped a new one on - thought it was slipping until warmed up. No change in voltage but it is much quieter.

Both batteries look very new, group 65 Interstates. No problems cranking - it fires right off. Cables are clean and in good shape.

I suspect either the regulator (on the alternator) or the alternator itself are going bad, unless you guys tell me this normal for these engines. I've wrenched on stuff for 30 years, and it certainly doesn't seem normal to me but this is my first oil burner.

I don't mind replacing the alternator given the prices at Rock Auto, but I'd hate to do it if this is a "feature" and not a "bug."

Also, how do you tell if you've got the 65amp or the 130? With power windows and such, I'm guessing the larger but ...? If it is the 65, is the 130 a bolt in swap?

Thanks guys. Stay tuned for more dumb newbie questions.

Dave

Not sure if this helps, but keep in mind that the glow plugs can run up to 2 minutes...and that is a huge drain on the electrical system.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:44 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
What Lee said! This is normal operation with the glow plugs. Welcome to the forum.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:12 AM
ultraclyde
Freshman User
Thanks guys!

Okay, that makes sense. See, it's the little stuff like that makes this kind of forum valuable.

Here's a pic I took on the way home. She's scruffier than it looks here, but she runs great. My wife named her Blue Bell.

So far I've fixed a bunch of small stuff, cleaned the interior and threw on some seat covers. Biggest problem so far is that it needs tie rods all the way across and ball joints. Those parts should be here this week, along with a bluetooth transmitter for Torque. I've got all the stuff for an oil change and a fuel filter too, just to start from zero.

What's a good place to find test strips for SCA in the coolant? Does NAPA have them?

Old 01-05-2016, 09:39 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm interested in that alternator question...

Old 01-05-2016, 04:47 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Nice looking truck. Napa should have the test strips for the green coolant.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:16 PM
krifenbu
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Your truck looks good.

I ordered my Fleetguard test strips from Ebay. Just have to make sure they aren't out of date.

Kevin