Sponsored by:

Yet another-Third Row Headrest Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 12:32 AM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Yet another-Third Row Headrest Install

I am putting yet another twist on this modification. I sourced headrests from an Excursion at the Gold Mine, and I got the seat frame parts at the same time; so they are a matching set of Excursion parts.

When I got my third row apart, I found it did not look like any of the other third row frames I have seen so far. Not sure how many designs are out there, but this makes 3 different ones I have seen.

A new twist on the seat back frame...again.

Once I took stock of what I had, I realized this was going to be easier, and better than I had hoped.

Instead of mounting the bracket on the seat-face side (like it was on the second row I got it from), I found it will fit perfectly mounted on the top of the frame.

This is what I will be after in the end for mounting. The rod behind the bracket will be removed with a grinder.

Rod removed, and pilot holes located.

Got my holes drilled using a step-bit up to 3/4". The angle must be checked and re-checked while drilling. It is critical it is correct from the start. This is a mock-up to check angles. So far so good.

First one is welded on...

...and the second one is on. Notice the difference in the frame build for the seat. There were a dozen hog-rings holding the cushion to the frame on those rods.

Checking the angles after welding the brackets on...

I got good penetration on the welds. I set the MIG welder at 4 and a wire feed of 5.2<br/>My welds are ugly, as I am no Snowseeker.

Figuring where to trim the cushion

Once I got to this point, it was super easy. Re-attach the cushion to the frame and check fit on the headrest guides. I had to widen the holes on the bottom of the pipe due to the angle the headrests took. Was simple to do with the step-bit (#4). I then test fit everything and put the seat cover back on (after cleaning it).

After cleaning the leather up really well with Scrubbing Bubbles. That stuff is great!

Fully adjustable headrests sourced from a 00 Excursion.

On the top of the seats, I cut 1 inch wide X-cuts in the leather and seat foam using a razor blade. I removed some of the cushion under the X-cuts, and I pushed the guides down into their holes until they snapped in. You cannot see the cuts in the leather at all with the guides installed. Then I slid the headrests in, and I put the seat back together. This mod took right about 2 hours to complete. It was really easy in my opinion.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:09 AM
PSUhoss
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great, really nice work. Now I have another item to add to the "to do" list!

Quick question: I would think that headrests could also be added to the middle seats of the 2nd and 3rd row as well. Right? If so, I need to start procuring some headrest and frames.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:55 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
Nice work and write up Mike, I'd rep you for it but I'm in lockdown currently.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:12 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Added.

Stewart

Old 12-30-2015, 08:54 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by PSUhoss
Quick question: I would think that headrests could also be added to the middle seats of the 2nd and 3rd row as well. Right? If so, I need to start procuring some headrest and frames.
Check the other third row thread I got this idea from. You will see pics of the frame on the second row exposed where I took out the headrests and brackets. I know for sure you could put another one in the center of the 3rd row, but it gets a little more complicated with that center brace in there. That depends on the design of your 3rd row seat frame design, too. Seems like a lottery as to which one everyone has.

Post #50 in here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...install-4.html

When you look at the photo, you will see there is very limited space down from the top of the seat before you hit the fold down cup holder/arm rest in that center spot. This would really limit a fully functioning headrest travel distance (I think). You could install a fixed headrest that does not move, though.