Modular V10 (6.8l)  

AVM 439 locking hub issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 08:17 AM
hodge5
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
AVM 439 locking hub issue

Shortly after buying my 04 Superduty a little over a year ago, I bought a set of AVM hubs for it. I have put about 7,000 or so miles on the truck, and have recently started having a problem when engaging then disengaging the driver's side hub. It will not completely disengage- you can hear a slight but persistent click. I pulled the hub off, and found that when you disengage it, and the dial pulls the engagement ring back, the plastic cup that the spring is pulling on won't sit parallel with the face of the hub cap. Therefore, the steel ring sits crooked, interacting with the inner ring. I have to manually push the plastic ring down, which barely locks the engagement ear into the channel that it rides in. I will attach a photo.
I emailed AVM about it, and they #1 informed me that there are imposters selling hubs with their names on them, so they need to verify that I have authentic hubs, and #2 they are doing inventory and can't decide anything until after Jan. 12. That is unfortunate for me, because I have to remove the hub and manually push the ring back down each time I disengage the hubs. It gets old.
I haven't had any issues up to this point, but I also don't offroad my truck, push snow, or otherwise treat it rough. So, I would say that the hubs haven't been taxed, at all. Besides that, this is an issue of plastics- the engagement ear isn't staying in the channel, so there are clearance issues in the plastic part. But, I'm beginning to not be a fan of plastic parts in the hub, and I probably should have spent more and gone with the heavy duty Warn hubs. For anyone considering AVM hubs, you might want to take these things into consideration for your decision. They look good, they've worked good up to this point (and others on the forum have had good service out of AVM hubs), but as with anything else, how an issue is handled is the mark of a good company. Time will tell, and hopefully AVM will process this sooner.

The photo shows the ring in its natural position, with the dial set on free, without pushing it back down where it's supposed to be. I found some fine metal dust inside the hub, but no appreciable wear, at this point.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:13 AM
hodge5
More Turbo
The plastic ring let go on Wednesday, and the only way to drive the truck was with the hubs locked in- unlocked, it wouldn't hold the metal ring flat to keep it from interferring and grinding.
I had emailed the requested photos to AVM, but they aren't processing the issue until after the 12th of January. While I understand doing inventory and such, I am not content with the status quo, or having to drive my truck with the hubs locked when I don't need to. So, I bought a set of Warn hubs and installed them- that is definitely what I should have done initially. The AVM's cost less, but they are also lower quality. Comparing them to the Warns, they are not built as heavy, and I anticipate more attentive service from Warn. Sometimes, it does not pay to spend less.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:08 AM
truckfella
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hodge5
how an issue is handled is the mark of a good company.
Amen, brother. Amen.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. But appreciate the head's up.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:00 AM
hodge5
More Turbo
I have heard nothing from AVM, but I have been in contact with the ebay seller. They are going to take my information and contact AVM, although the hubs are only warrantied for one year. No promises, but he (Clint) thinks that AVM will replace the bad parts. Whether they do or not, Clint has been very attentive and quick to communicate.

The Warn hubs, on the other hand, carry a lifetime warranty. So, lesson learned. Saving money doesn't always save money.

Old 01-11-2016, 04:05 PM
hodge5
More Turbo
I never have heard anything back from AVM- they were true to their word, and wouldn't look at my circumstances while doing inventory. With that being how they do business, I won't buy anymore of their products.
But, I do want to give a shout out to C&C Equipment, the ebay seller whom I bought the hubs from. He, Clint, is mailing me one hub unit at his expense, to hopefully be reimbursed later by AVM. That is good business, and I can't praise them enough for taking care of me, when it is technically the responsibility of AVM.