North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

Official NCFTE Works Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 07:40 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,274 Likes on 1,937 Posts
Originally Posted by Cracker289
Thanks; mines a 265 (2 barrel). Survivor car! Great cruiser. Always leaves tranny fluid on the floor of my garage though
On the way home I saw this light blue & white "bullnose" Ford at McGees crossroads, at first I thought it looked like Kurt's but it turned out to be a LWB. We gave each other a wave & thumbs up

Tarheel Blue?
If I stand out in the road I can see that light & CVS from my house.
If I was around I would have gone to the show.

As for Kurt I have not seen him post in a long time, hope he is OK.
Dave ----

Old 09-27-2019, 07:43 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Added Peel & Seal to the doors to make them sound less tinny when closing and for the speakers to sound better.

I gathered the painted bolts & nuts for the bed sides and got them installed and all tight.
It took me a lot longer than I though it would. I do have some touching up to do to them but not bad.

I than finished prepping the fenders and the 2 gas filler doors for white paint.
Yes we have white paint on the rear fenders and gas doors.
I don't know how I am going to paint the red yet. If they are on the stands I have then some of the edges may not get paint so going to have to figure that out.

As for red paint I need I think 2 more qt's to do the fenders, running boards, bolts / nuts & tail gate.
I will try and pick that up first thing in the morning so I get the red done but ..........

When I pulled my DD out of the house garage to put the pick up in the DD almost did not start.
I replaced the ALT. before I went on vacation and it was not charging like it should have.
The PCM controls / regulates the ALT. out put and I do not know where it is or how to test it.
AZ lists one for $220 but it has to be factory reset on top of that.
Looks like it has to go to the dealer and if they don't have a loner I am SOL during the work week getting to work or the wife is stuck at home.

Yep she is not happy as she wanted to get rid of the 02 Durango years ago but I say this is normal wear items like brakes.
Dave ----

Old 09-27-2019, 07:56 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
I just realized I missed a update I did before I went on vacation.
I had a nutsert that pulled out and not being able to find them I welded a nut to a washer and welded the washer to the floor and hit it with a little paint to keep the rust at bay.
I than mounted the floor to the truck frame and placed the sides and front panel on the floor held with a few bolts till I get back from vacation.

Dave ----

Old 09-28-2019, 01:49 AM
Cracker289
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Shawn. Take a deep breath. Go work on different project for a week. Let the engine continue to soak.

Old 09-28-2019, 06:43 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Cracker289
Shawn. Take a deep breath. Go work on different project for a week. Let the engine continue to soak.
i gotta buy tools before i can even start tearing it down... there some specialty ones i need to get that i dont have... most of which will need to be "shipped"...

Old 09-28-2019, 07:29 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
got some of the "missing tools" from HF today... like a set of snap bore gauges, dead blow hammer (since mine all disintegrated and fell apart years ago.. this was needed even with a free spinning engine anyways)... then some fun items like some new ratchet straps and a bench top buffer...

once i got all the tools i could find locally i ordered the other specialty ones online.... itll take a few more days to get here... not sure when thatll be... but have some other things in the background thatll take up my time... along with something i havent announced yet but will be soon.... but since im at a stale mate with the engine i did some maint on the mustang... changed the oil and the wiper blades... then painted the ceiling in my office... ill work on the walls soon.. we had paid to have the inside of the house painted before we moved in.. but the guy did a horrible job... theres spots like the roller ran dry and didnt bother to go back over it with a "fresh loaded" roller and theres other spots like on the ceiling that just look like he missed entirely.. (like the 4'x4' section next to my ceiling fan and the 3' wide stripe that runs all the way across the ceiling right over where my beds at... ) so working on fixing that but thats not the thing im not announcing yet..... thats still coming soon..

Old 09-30-2019, 01:02 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Discovered the crank case was still full of oil the other day. So i broke out the "engine lift" to hold it up while i drained the oil.

Still looked smelled and felt like oil. But no im not gonna try and taste it. Seemed pretty clean too. Darkened from age but still clean. So thinking it mighta been changed before the bike was broken apart to paint.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:41 AM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
I just realized I missed a update I did before I went on vacation.
I had a nutsert that pulled out and not being able to find them I welded a nut to a washer and welded the washer to the floor and hit it with a little paint to keep the rust at bay.
I than mounted the floor to the truck frame and placed the sides and front panel on the floor held with a few bolts till I get back from vacation.

Dave ----
Looks good, I finally saw it the other day out front, you're maybe 10 mins from me.

Old 10-03-2019, 06:45 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by FordTruckfan89
Looks good, I finally saw it the other day out front, you're maybe 10 mins from me.
Thanks I have been sticking it out in the sun to bake the paint. I also have to stick it out side when done more paint work.
Speaking of paint work I hope to get the last of the red done on the tail gate, running boards and red on the rear fenders this weekend.

Guys I am home most weekends so stop by and say hi.
Now that it is going to be cooler and I have a dead line of Nov. 9 for a car / truck / motor cyl show & party at my work for their 60 years that I want to take the truck to I will be working on it a lot.
It will not be 100% but I hope together enough to drive to Apex for the party.
Dave ----

Old 10-06-2019, 05:04 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Done yesterday:
We got the last of the paint on the truck!
Started at 4am and lights off at 8:30 yep a long day again.

The tail gate needed a lot more prepping than I remember it needing.
After wet sanding down pretty close to bare metal I had to give it a few heavy coats of primer.
Then more wet sanding till ready for paint. Also wet sanded the 2 running boards.
The fenders got taped up then dry sanded, all final sanding was with 600 grit paper even on the cab.

In the middle of this I had to move the truck out of the house garage to get the tape & paper rack out to my garage.
I have had an issue of the idle being to high so I looked into it. Turning the screw did nothing?
Digging deeper covering the carb with a rag also did nothing! That showed me there was a good size vacuum leak some were?
I knew the intake manifold was good as I did new gaskets not long ago and the carb gaskets are new when I rebuilt the carb so where could it be?

I got thinking of a post Matthew posted about the PCV valve & the charcoal canisters.
He said the PCV valve has 2 ports, large one for the valve and a small one for the canisters / carb bowl vent.
This this small port should have a vary small opening to meter the amount of vacuum to go thru.
Well mine did not have this metered opening and caused a vacuum leak.
Went thru my Holley carb pit box when I raced and pulled out the smallest jet I had, #64, and installed this in the rubber hose and stuck it back on the PCV valve.
I think the #64 is still to large but the idle is now at about 800 RPM by the dash tach. and that is what the sticker said it should be at.
I also adjusted the idle mix and she runs good again.
Dave ----

Old 10-06-2019, 05:08 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
This morning before unwrapping

Just 2 bolts holding it on, breakfast was getting cold!

Dave ----

Old 10-06-2019, 05:09 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
After I got the fenders held on with a few bolt I was able to get it in my garage to fit the running boards, fender & running board braces and the rest of the fender bolts and got them all tight.

In fitting the rear fender brace on the left side I can see why the factory may not wanted to run the rear tank on flare sides. The brace kind of run thru where the filler is. I was able to push the hose over but if I have issues filling that tank I may need to remove it.

Fitted up the 2 fuel fillers & doors. I did not order enough rubber bumpers for the doors but the 1 I did order would fall thru the holes for it in the fuller box.
I had 2 larger bumpers I ordered but did not know what they were for, found out later, and used them on the front door but the door still hits the bolts?
I will order 4 more of them bumpers, 2 for the other fuel door and 2 for what they are for. I also need 1 more "unleaded" sticker for the 2nd fuel door.

Mounted the tail gate and the chains. Was not bad once I figured how I was going to do this and not hurt the fresh paint on anything. It was when mounting the chains I found where them bigger rubber bumpers went ...... Yep the handles of the chains to keep from hitting the painted tail gate!
I also glued in the 2 rubber strips in the tail gate sides to keep the gate tight to the body and moving making noise.

When doing all this I was going thru my parts bins looking for parts I could put on but was really looking for the rear tail light harness for either truck.
I found the full harness from the flare side, I am using the parts truck harness for the options it had and I am running.
The flare side harness did not have a tail light harness. Someone cut the plug off the frame harness and added wires to reach the cheap boat lights that were mounted up high out back, so that harness when back in the parts bin.

I did find the 2 broken flare side tail lights my brother sent and he did cut the truck side harness so I have the needed plugs to put in the new lights when I get the 2nd one this week.
I also pulled off the brackets, prepped and painted and installed on the truck with the 1 new tail light I have.

Mounted the new front side marker lights, installed new 194 bulbs & 1157 in the front turn lights but I need to pull the head light doors & grille to repair & paint yet.
I also cleaned up the grounds for the lights at each fender and the hood ground and got them in place.

The rear lic. plate bracket I marked and drilled for the plate light and got the light & bracket
mounted up.
I did find the parts truck tail light harness in a bin I did not placed with the others and it was the only thing in it for the trucks. I did not look it over just yet but did see it has the Tee for the trailer light harness so I don't need to splice into the trucks harness.

Oh I took down my paint booth, plastic I had on the walls and over stuff in the other 2 bays so no more painting!
Dave ----

Old 10-06-2019, 05:12 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner

Forgot I installed the battery hold down & fresh air flex to the air filter

Dave ----

Old 10-06-2019, 06:46 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
stuffs been in the cyls for 2 weeks now and the engine still hasnt broken free and the mad scientist mixture is still full in the cylinders... unfortunately my new tools still havent shown up for me to even to begin to tear it apart...

Old 10-06-2019, 10:48 PM
Cracker289
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Tailgate came out nice Dave you got the truck looking good!

Quick Reply: Official NCFTE Works Thread