What is a DPFE sensor, what does it do? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

What is a DPFE sensor, what does it do?

Old 08-06-2003, 08:18 PM
Shakina Glory
Freshman User
Shakina Glory is starting off with a positive reputation.

My '99 Ford Ranger is popping code. A handheld diagnostic machine shows the trouble code P1401. I looked it up and what I found is, that trouble code corresponds to a "DPFE sensor high voltage". Anyone have an idea what this could be, and where on the engine is the DPFE sensor?

Old 08-27-2003, 08:39 AM
jeremylove
New User
jeremylove is starting off with a positive reputation.

Differential Pressure Feedback EGR - it's basically like a MAP or a barometric pressure sensor for your EGR system - it's there to measure the flow of EGR, but it's very troublesome IMO.
The sensor should be either a black or metal box about the size of a large zippo lighter with two vacuum hoses attached to it near the firewall. The hoses should go to your EGR tube between your intake and your exhaust manifolds.

I found the cheapest one at Pep Boys for about $60, but fords wants $90 or so and it's a bit better 'cuz it's plastic and doesn't deteriorate like the metal ones do.

Old 08-28-2003, 10:14 PM
Shakina Glory
Freshman User
Shakina Glory is starting off with a positive reputation.

Thanks for the help. the light stayed on for about a week and then it turned off and hasn't turned back on. I take this as a warning to keep a close watch on things but I won't change it unless the warning comes back. Is this okay?

Old 06-03-2018, 11:06 PM
tripog
New User
tripog is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Shakina Glory View Post
Thanks for the help. the light stayed on for about a week and then it turned off and hasn't turned back on. I take this as a warning to keep a close watch on things but I won't change it unless the warning comes back. Is this okay?
No, thats not okay.

edit: how am I new user with a join date of 2007, ive been breaking down in ford trucks since 1985

Old 12-20-2018, 11:02 PM
SupremeE350
New User
SupremeE350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Arrow

Originally Posted by Shakina Glory View Post
I am just get on board & Thank you for all the tech info share, My 97 E350 V10 6.8 recently try to stop at traffic light but the RPM race up to 1300 and down to 850 if brake not firm it seems like to hit the car in the front. service engine light on ABS also on after reset to remove but after driving half mile both warning light on again.take the Dog house away and check all air hoses are fine, uninstall the DPFE sensor and check with 200K ohm and it show the DPFE is working fine. but my van still race high rpm when brake to stop, Also why when I shift to reverse try to make a U turn once shift to reverse, step on fuel pedal, van engine die, need to restart, what mad this happen?