Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Radiator!?!?

Old 11-30-2015, 08:05 AM
Cjpower9185
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiator!?!?

Hey all. I just removed a wvo system from my truck. Don't run it long enough to use it. Well now I have a open port off my radiator. It's on passenger bottom left of radiator. About an inch or less in diameter. There 2 ports there 1 smaller and 1 bigger. Where's she go? Thanks.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:28 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe they were using the trans cooler in the rad to heat the wvo??

Old 12-01-2015, 05:24 AM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Cjpower9185
Hey all. I just removed a wvo system from my truck. Don't run it long enough to use it. Well now I have a open port off my radiator. It's on passenger bottom left of radiator. About an inch or less in diameter. There 2 ports there 1 smaller and 1 bigger. Where's she go? Thanks.
What sorta kinda truck is it?? Little, BIG, medium?

I had to use ESP to figure out that it's a 1993 F350.

What transmission does it have? E4OD?

Does that port look like this one?
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...y-plan-is.html

Is it plugged like the one in the photo?

The only relevant text in that post is this:

... I've also read that it is used to divert hot coolant from the engine head to the transmission fluid heat exchanger (in the bottom radiator tank) to bring the transmission up to operating temperature more quickly. Someone else commented that this was not necessary and that is not it's function so I don't really know which function it serves (?)
I would make sure you get it reconnected properly if you have an E4OD. The truck I got that radiator from had a completely ruined E40D and that plug could be a reason why- and your transmission was rebuilt once so make sure it gets hooked up right.

Exactly how to do that I don't know, I've never looked at one but I would think there is a bypass valve from the hose going into the heater core from the head which diverts hot coolant from the engine to the lower tank on the radiator until the engine coolant reaches a certain temperature and the bypass valve closes- (I am only presuming this is how it works).

Inside the bottom tank on the radiator there is a heat exchanger where transmission fluid is flowing back to the transmission out the small port next to the one in that photo- That heat exchanger is mainly to keep the transmission fluid from getting too hot but in this case the transmission fluid needs to pick up more heat to come up to it's operating temperature more quickly. That is my understanding of this extra port which is just based on a few discussions in forums.

Radiators for 6.9L engines with C6 transmissions up through 1987 don't ' use such a port and a C-6 in a later model year probably has a plug in that port like the one in the photo

Old 12-01-2015, 07:26 AM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
If it's E40D and the fitting closes to the side of radiator, that would be where the hose that comes off the tee in the head to heater core hose would connect to the radiator. That would have been a restricted fitting so the flow was minimal into the rad.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:55 PM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy1626
If it's E40D and the fitting closes to the side of radiator, that would be where the hose that comes off the tee in the head to heater core hose would connect to the radiator. That would have been a restricted fitting so the flow was minimal into the rad.
I assume you meant "the fitting closest to the side of radiator." OK understood. I'm very curious about this E4OD setup for technical reasons, - something I was planning to do with a radiator that has this fitting.

So, it's only a 'T' fitting with no bypass valve and the hot engine coolant runs down from the 'T' to that fitting on the radiator at all times then??

When you wrote:"restricted fitting so the flow was minimal into the rad." How is it restricted? Did you mean that it is somehow restricted at the radiator fitting? The fitting is 5/8 inch dia on the radiator I have BUT this is a plug, not intended to have fluid run through it. Maybe the fitting that is supposed to be screwed into the radiator for the E4OD is smaller for a smaller hose. If so, the 'T' would have the outlet to the radiator smaller than in line through the heater core hose (which is 5/8 inch I.D.)

Or, by 'restricted' did you mean it just has a low flow rate from the 'T'?
which would be 5/8 inch at all three ends. Even then the flow to the radiator fitting would be less than to the heater core which is straight line with less resistance.

I don't mean to confuse anyone, I am just thinking out loud about a project I've had in mind which, to do it all right, is quite technical and how this E4OD setup was originally (technically) designed to work is important. If that flow is actually restricted by design that is important for me to know.

It could be that there is really nothing much 'technical' about it. They just realized that the E4OD needed some help to get up to temperature. It's a good idea really because the much warmer engine coolant going into that radiator fitting will pass directly along the transmission fluid heat exchanger before ever being cooled by the radiator and go right back to the lower radiator hose on the driver's side and back into the water pump, etc.
I would expect at higher RPM here would be much more of that warmer coolant going into that radiator fitting - unless it does in fact have a restriction of some sort.

I am not asking you for a technical analysis, I found what you wrote very interesting, just wondering if I understand it correctly and now that the project is on my mind again I'll be out searching the web tonight for more information and try to at least find a picture of this E4OD hose set-up.

Thank you!

Old 12-02-2015, 04:51 AM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Yes, closest. The fitting that threads into the radiator is restricted. It has a small I.D. Constant flow.