Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Snow Chain Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 08:42 PM
iszatso
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow Chain Recommendations

Need to get snow chains for front and rear for my 94 AWD with standard wheels. Any suggestions especially to buy locally? I live in Oakland California.
I'm pretty sure in the Sierras the AWD will substitute for chain controls with all weather rated tires on unless it is super bad out and they move up a notch to 4WD with chains.. Want to drive to Reno for Thanksgiving to see Dad and get there no matter what. Links to size would be nice. TIA, BRGDS.

patrick

Old 11-23-2015, 10:21 PM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it snows on that heavily traveled road, the plows will have the snow hammered down into a 1/2" of hard packed ice that turns to skating rink slick water on top.
It's not the get going that's the problem, it's the stopping before sudden death that can be the killer.

Super Z6 cable chains only and check the chains/tensioners hourly.

Stop at a tire shop near before the mountains and have them show you how to correctly put on cable chains.
$10 bucks worth of lesson is priceless

Complacency and expecting the other guy to do the right thing leads to early icey road death. Lots of deep canyons and loaded semis on that road.

Watch Highway to Hell, it will convince you, be over prepared. and keep it under 35 mph.

Amazon.com: Security Chain Company SZ429 Super Z6 Cable Chain for Passenger Cars, Pickups, and SUVs - Set of 2: Automotive Amazon.com: Security Chain Company SZ429 Super Z6 Cable Chain for Passenger Cars, Pickups, and SUVs - Set of 2: Automotive

Old 11-25-2015, 11:13 AM
RojoStar
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by iszatso
... Want to drive to Reno for Thanksgiving...
Nice plan.

Reporting from the SF Bay Area...
Although we just got a wet cold front, the roads should be clear & dry by mid-day (today, Wed 25, day before TG).

Thule CB-12 on the way to Bear Valley, CA for skiing.
Plz don't laugh, its 2WD and legacy touring rubber.

095 on 215/65-15. Would have appreciated a tad more chain size.

Now 102 on a 225/60-16.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:34 PM
Car Guy
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
What are your thoughts on the Thule brand chains? Any experience with others? I sold Laclede at a retail store and feel their Alpine series are good. I haven't experienced them 'in the field' but installed countless pairs on customer's vehicles.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:04 AM
RojoStar
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Car Guy
... Any experience with others?...
Good follow up Q.
Answer: No. I'm not promoting the Thule brand, just saying what I use.
One benefit, probably not unique to the CB12, is that because of the tailored design and open pattern, you don't have to roll the vehicle to complete the install, and you don't have to lie on the ground.

1) Send the chains all the way around the tire patch.
2) Grab the two cable ends and pull them up around the tire so that the cable, now on the inboard side of the tire, moves upward off the ground and towards the axle. At this moment it looks like you are giving your tire a big bear hug.The native population, gawking, will approve and maybe show you how bear hugs are really done.
3) Up at the top of the tire, connect the (inboard) cable ends, and a single link on the outer face, then slide the cable loop inbound over the top of the tire so it drops down on the inbound side to a centered position.
4) Snug up and tie the outside face.
5) Drive away.

I'm guessing the diamond pattern is also quieter on dry pavement (verses a straight across pattern).
Hasn't rusted but it hasn't gotten much use either.
Even less usage in the future, the rubber is now Altimax RT43, which could have managed the situation.