6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Cooper tires are gone, new Michelins installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 06:27 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cooper tires are gone, new Michelins installed

A few weeks back I installed two new Cooper tires on the front of the truck, followed by new dually rear tires installed a little over a week later. After having the rear tires balanced 3 times I took them back one more time to try for a fourth time. I once again mentioned that I felt at least one of the rear tires were out of round or had a construction issue that was causing a vibration issue time and time and time again.

This time back I was told that there was a 30 day ride guarantee on tires purchased and had the option of having a full new set of the Coopers ordered in, trying to rebalance the tires once again. Or a full refund credit towards any other tires I would like to try.

I went with the Michelins MS2 tires this time around. While the company is not a US company the tires were made in Arkansas. They come with a 70,000 mile warranty and backed by Discount Tire.

They may not be an all terrain tire nor an aggressive tread design they will serve the purpose for what I use my truck for which is an everyday driver and hauler for the 5th wheel.

So far they run smooth as glass with no vibration to may ___s.

Wish me luck.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:44 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
too bad that you couldn't get the coopers dialed in right. Probably was an issue.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:18 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
I predict these tires will serve you well.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:00 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Here on FTE I read about how great Cooper tires are from members I respect. I also know a few people that have experienced the same trouble you had with Cooper tires. I like your new tire selection.

Bruce

Old 11-14-2015, 03:06 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
I just got some MS/2's as well..the tire dealer didn't balance them right and I had vibration at 65 plus..so I went to Tire Warehouse here and they did a great job of balancing them for $48.
They had a Hunter Force Road Machine which they said I didn't probably need to do but maybe that's what you should of had done to your Coopers.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:35 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
After so many trips back to DT for rebalancing the frustration had peaked. I have long bee. A fan of Cooper tires and still am. I do truly feel that at least one of the four dually tires had either a belt issue or was out of round.

I do need to get hold of Cooper Tire however, I have rebate that has been processed but not yet received. Since I did return the tires I feel that I need to return the rebate also.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:22 AM
tony montana 42
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't wait to wear out the cooper's on my truck, hate them. They are loud and ride very harsh.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:25 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jonrjen
I do need to get hold of Cooper Tire however, I have rebate that has been processed but not yet received. Since I did return the tires I feel that I need to return the rebate also.
An HONEST MAN!!!!

Litterly all tires have a dot painted on them close to the bead. I have long forgotten what the color codes were, but that dot should be lined up closely to the valve stem. Memory is half kaput.. I believe the dot was indicating the heaviest side of the tire..

Old 12-30-2015, 01:42 PM
doczenith1
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Another vote for the LTX M/S tires. And I have always made sure to have my tires balanced at a shop that has the Hunter Force Road machine. I also recently noticed that tirerack is selling a new Defender LTX M/S model. From the tirerack site:

"Compared to the popular Michelin LTX M/S2 it replaces, the new Defender LTX M/S tires share the same highly-functional highly functional tread pattern, and offer improvements in wear life/longevity to better meet the high-torque demands of modern trucks. Defender LTX M/S is designed to be stronger, longer."

Old 12-31-2015, 07:42 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by doczenith1
Another vote for the LTX M/S tires. And I have always made sure to have my tires balanced at a shop that has the Hunter Force Road machine. I also recently noticed that tirerack is selling a new Defender LTX M/S model. From the tirerack site:

"Compared to the popular Michelin LTX M/S2 it replaces, the new Defender LTX M/S tires share the same highly-functional highly functional tread pattern, and offer improvements in wear life/longevity to better meet the high-torque demands of modern trucks. Defender LTX M/S is designed to be stronger, longer."
Actually, I was to have the Michelin LTX M/S tires installed, seems however they were not available and Discount Tire installed the latest version which is the Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires on my truck. My biggest complaint is that the mile warranty is shorter on the Defender than on the old LTX M/S tires. I was told it is an improved tire, but if true why lessen the warranty. Guess it's a bean counter profit watcher working for Michelin.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:57 AM
tracyclifton
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am fairly satisfied with the BFG on my current truck. I have been using Michellin for about 10 years. I put over 100k on the rear inside set on my previous dually without any issues. I could have gotten a few more thousand out of them but I always replaced my front tires and moved the front tires to the rear if they were still in usable condition. Before that, I replaced the Factory Firestones with Uniroyal tires on my SRW. Put over 100k (2 sets) on those without issue. The Uniroyals are made by Michellin in the U.S. I have a set of MS2 on my 5th wheel also. When I bought my current 5th wheel I immediately replaced the Chinese tires with BFG commercial TAs, also a Michellin product. About 6 months later they were recalled. Michellin authorized all the dealers to replace the BFG with MS2 if they didn't have BFG in stock. I was running the Uniroyals on my previous 5th wheel also. So after about 310k on my trucks and several thousand of my 5th wheel I have no complaints.