6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Lifts (Icon vs Carli)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 09:41 AM
jlalanas
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lifts (Icon vs Carli)

I'm strongly considering doing a 4.5in lift on my F350 and wanted to get some feedback from the community comparing these two for ride quality, etc. Let me preface this with the fact that I likely will not be doing a lot of serious offroading, but do want a quality lift that will give me an improved on road ride over the stock set up. I will likely go with 295/65/20 Nitto Trail or Terra Grappler tires.

I'm considering the Icon 4.5 Stage 3 and the Carli Performance 2.0 systems. One thing I noted with both is that neither comes with a dropped pitman arm or a track bar drop bracket. Since these are both high end set-ups, I would assume that they aren't necessary?? I'm sure there are some technical diffs in the springs and shocks, but the main difference that I see between the two is that Icon uses a rear block and carli uses a spring pak which eliminates the overload spring for the F350.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This topic has been asked before, do a search. If you are going to skimp out on the Carli kit, just get the ICON kit. If you get the Carli, get the King shock Pin-Tops period.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:01 AM
jlalanas
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Sgt93
This topic has been asked before, do a search. If you are going to skimp out on the Carli kit, just get the ICON kit. If you get the Carli, get the King shock Pin-Tops period.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback, although I hardly think spending $3200 on the carli performance system with the bilstein 7100s is "skimping out." Is the only difference between the all the systems (save the coilovers) just the shocks that come with the kit?

Old 08-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jlalanas
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback, although I hardly think spending $3200 on the carli performance system with the bilstein 7100s is "skimping out." Is the only difference between the all the systems (save the coilovers) just the shocks that come with the kit?
It's skimping out, there is that much of a difference between the shocks. Differences are full leaf packs etc. Call George at 8Lug Truck gear for comparisons. He was running 2.0's and swapped to Kings. They are called King for a reason. Good luck.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:19 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
I don't know anything about the ICON system other than what Andy has told me. He is very happy with his set up.

Personally, I think that the Carli add a leaf packs are better than just a larger block in the rear. A larger block boes not change the suspension at all. The leaf pack makes the spring more progressive. The rear suspension on my truck is great loaded or not.

I would highly recommend the pintop king 2.5 system the ride is great.
The 7100's are great shocks too but it is amazing how had you can pound on the kings and they just soak it up. If you are going to beat on it at all it is worth the extra IMHO, but I tend to be a bit hard on things

Carli and ICON put some design time into these systems from what I can tell (I know first hand carli did, their system works great). No drop pitman arm but an adjustable track bar is all you get but it works great.

Thanks

Old 08-22-2012, 04:23 PM
btm991
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I can decide on what rims I want I'll be getting the icon 4.5...only because I'm too cheap to buy the carli pintop

Old 08-22-2012, 04:49 PM
jlalanas
More Turbo
Spoke w/Nick at 8 lug (george was out), he gave me some good info on the set-ups (performance vs pintop). He says they sell about twice as many pintops as performance (kings vs bil 7100s).

Also gave me some info on the upgrades to the kings (cold temp upgrade, SS shafts). I think I'll go with the later, don't need the heavy shock oil upgrade.

I'm still on the fence on whether or not I'm going to pull the trigger on the lift, but if I do I'm pretty sure I'm going with the Carli setup.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:52 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Definitely get the stainless shafts.

Thanks

Old 08-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by darren32
Definitely get the stainless shafts.

Thanks
And Boots!!

Old 08-22-2012, 09:05 PM
OffroadSD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know anything about the ICON system other than what Andy has told me. He is very happy with his set up.

Personally, I think that the Carli add a leaf packs are better than just a larger block in the rear. A larger block boes not change the suspension at all. The leaf pack makes the spring more progressive. The rear suspension on my truck is great loaded or not.

I would highly recommend the pintop king 2.5 system the ride is great.
The 7100's are great shocks too but it is amazing how had you can pound on the kings and they just soak it up. If you are going to beat on it at all it is worth the extra IMHO, but I tend to be a bit hard on things

Carli and ICON put some design time into these systems from what I can tell (I know first hand carli did, their system works great). No drop pitman arm but an adjustable track bar is all you get but it works great.

Thanks
I wish Icon had the drop pitman arm. The Icon setup works well, I only have the stage one but I added the pan rod bar to keep the truck straight. I also added the Icon dual stabilizer and it works great. I have 35" tires and never get any kind of wobble. The truck works great off road. I plan on adding the Icon 2.5" piggyback at the end of the year though, hopefully it will be worth the price. I wish Icon had a coilover for the 2.5 leveling kit.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:19 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Andrew010
And Boots!!
Thanks Andrew, not sure how I left that one out....

Yes get boots on the shock no matter what they tell you. My shafts only lated a year without boots. They got pitted by rocks and then the shocks started leaking. Then you get to buy new stainless shafts at $180.00 each and seal kits and oil and labour and get them fixed!!!!!! NADP and Carli covered everything but the cost of the shafts for me, if not it would have been a $1,000.00 bill.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:20 AM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm still on the fence on whether or not I'm going to pull the trigger on the lift, but if I do I'm pretty sure I'm going with the Carli setup.
That's the spirit! Go all out, that is the way to do it if you plan on keeping the truck or you could just dump a ton of money on high end modifications and sell it in 12 months for a huge loss!

Old 08-23-2012, 09:33 AM
jlalanas
More Turbo
Thanks Andrew, not sure how I left that one out....

Yes get boots on the shock no matter what they tell you. My shafts only lated a year without boots. They got pitted by rocks and then the shocks started leaking. Then you get to buy new stainless shafts at $180.00 each and seal kits and oil and labour and get them fixed!!!!!! NADP and Carli covered everything but the cost of the shafts for me, if not it would have been a $1,000.00 bill.
Will carli sell them w/ the boots or do I have to get those aftermarket somewhere?

Old 08-23-2012, 09:35 AM
jlalanas
More Turbo
Originally Posted by 720Deere
That's the spirit! Go all out, that is the way to do it if you plan on keeping the truck or you could just dump a ton of money on high end modifications and sell it in 12 months for a huge loss!
That's always in the back of my mind becuase that has happened before.....I intend on keeping all the stuck components and would likely return the truck to stock before I sell it.

Matt, will you be interested in a lightly used carli pintop system in say 16-18mos....if so I'll look you up.....

Old 08-23-2012, 09:40 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Will carli sell them w/ the boots or do I have to get those aftermarket somewhere?
I would certainly hope that after my fiasco they would at least have the option. But they said my problem was "those canadian roads". There is definately more gravel on the roads here because of snow and ice but it doesn't stop at the boarder. Maybe in Florida you would be OK with no boots, I don't know.

But NADP is putting boots on all open shaft shock from here on in. If you take them off you are on your own.

Regardless, if you can't get them from Carli, you can get them anywhere. Pretty easy to put on before the shocks go on the truck

Thanks

Quick Reply: Lifts (Icon vs Carli)