1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Tips for a test start on Flathead 6

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 02:37 PM
pezsox
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did get some Marvel Mystery oil and plan on doing that to take a break from this splas pan and oil pan removal. If everything goes well with this startup then I will have a decision to make as to what to do from there. keep it bone stock and "revive" it, or have some point of reference for someone else to dig deeper if I decide to sell it. I would love to keep the engine, just not super hip on the suspension, transmission, and rearend! haha

Old 11-18-2015, 02:42 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
On the flat-6, I'd bet the lifter chest is a common hiding place. But that's a pretty hard area to access without pulling the manifolds. My impression is that few 6's ever had their valves adjusted, even tho it can be done with the manifolds in place. It would be nice to do it now and not have to get back in there.
I highly suspect you are right. Only flatty I've ever been into was a V-8. What a nasty mess. I miss a lot of quality things from the old days. Motor oil is not among them. Only way to do it truly right is take it to a machine shop and give them $4000+. I think his approach is logical. Make sure it has a chance at some oil pressure. Do what he can to free the rings, and let the chips fall. Good chance it uses oil if it lives. I could live with that to have an old flatty on the cheap.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:11 PM
Marauder2004
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I can verify that the valve chambers on the flat 6 are a hiding place for sludge. They are accessible now more than ever, and cleaning them out will help to keep your valves moving when she runs again.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:52 PM
pezsox
Senior User
What process would I do to get the sludge out of the valve chambers?

Old 11-18-2015, 10:01 PM
3twinridges
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts
Break out the nitrile gloves, rags, and mineral spirits - start cleaning away. Make sure your crankcase holes are not plugged and same for the holes that connect each chamber. The bottom plates come out so clean those also. $100 days it's never been cleaned and the nastiest plAce in your truck.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:02 PM
3twinridges
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts
$100 says......

Old 11-18-2015, 10:17 PM
pezsox
Senior User
I am still learning and waiting for my manual. I have never gotten into an engine before... Ever! So after I remove the splash pan, and the oil pan, am I just looking straight up to the valves and cleaning or does it require removal of parts to get to? Sorry for dumb questions, but... I'm dumb! Lol

Old 11-19-2015, 01:02 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by pezsox
I am still learning and waiting for my manual. I have never gotten into an engine before... Ever! So after I remove the splash pan, and the oil pan, am I just looking straight up to the valves and cleaning or does it require removal of parts to get to? Sorry for dumb questions, but... I'm dumb! Lol
You aren't dumb. You are just inexperienced. You can't access the valves from the oil pan. I suggest you clean the oil pan and oil pump screen. Lube the cylinders and give it a shot. If you get too deep in disassembly you could run into siezed fasteners or other complications. That can be a serious obstacle for a brand new mechanic. There will be time to address other issues later after you determine if the engine has a chance.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:48 AM
pezsox
Senior User
Last night I squirted that oil in the spark plug holes. It spun previous to the oil, and spun even easier after I added it. I think I will take fatfenders advise on this one. I'll take the pan off, clean as much as I can with getting too crazy an go from there. Hopefully once that hidden oil heats up, it cleans itself out a little when it starts to run... Hopefully

Old 11-19-2015, 09:22 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by pezsox
Last night I squirted that oil in the spark plug holes. It spun previous to the oil, and spun even easier after I added it. I think I will take fatfenders advise on this one. I'll take the pan off, clean as much as I can with getting too crazy an go from there. Hopefully once that hidden oil heats up, it cleans itself out a little when it starts to run... Hopefully
It will very gradually break free from modern detergent oil. Your new oil will be black in a matter of minutes. The only way to get it truly clean is to completely disassemble the engine and hot tank it at a machine shop. If the engine has compression and the bearing clearances are reasonable it might be fine for along while. Only one way to find out.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:49 AM
pezsox
Senior User
I got the oil pan off, scraped, and cleaned. I have my fuel line set up, fan/crank spins smoothly, oil pump screen clean, have my 4-5 quarts of oil in it, and I got a 6v battery charger ready instead of battery, so now one last question before trying to turn it over. Do I need to prime the oil pump? I figure for the first go around I would unhook the coil and remove the plugs to check compression. I just want to make sure no damage can be done before priming. Also what compression should I be looking for on the first go?

Old 11-24-2015, 09:53 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,441 Likes on 1,390 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the compression check. Turning it over a few times with the coil unhooked is a good idea to get oil around everywhere before putting a load on everything. Watch the oil pressure gauge to see if it moves, if you have power to the gauges. (If not, then disregard) Give it 10 seconds or so of cranking (don't burn up the starter), then plug in the coil and give it a go.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:07 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
A battery charger, unless it's a really big one like gas stations use, isn't going to spin the engine. It takes ~300 amps minimum, this time of year more likely 450.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:34 AM
pezsox
Senior User
So if that isn't enough would it be better to use a battery with ground to the starter and hot to the frame? It is a charger on wheels, not the little box type

Old 11-24-2015, 11:42 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Are all of your connections and cables sound? And good deal on the battery charger. It may not turn it over on its own, but it will be a good assist and recover fast. And as 52merc said be patient and keep the starter cranking time down or you'll be buying a starter before you proceed. May need one before it's over but no sense burning it up if it happens to have a year left in it.

Quick Reply: Tips for a test start on Flathead 6