6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Fass Fuel F17 125 GPH 55psi

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 10:19 AM
thomil18
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fass Fuel F17 125 GPH 55psi

I installed a new Fass fuel system onto my 2012 6.7 powerstroke. After everything was all said and done I can't get my truck to start and the truck is saying low fuel pressure. I haven't had an opportunity to put an actual guage in the system yet to see what I'm really getting for fuel pressure but it is suppose to be preset from the factory to 55 psi. After messing with it for several hours and spilling about 5 gallons of diesel on the ground I hooked the factory pump back up so that I could get home. I followed the directions as best I could however I think their instructions are just about as bad as IKEA's.

Has anyone had similar problems, are there any simple solutions? Any input/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:29 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Welcome to FTE and Sorry you slipped through the cracks and did not receive any replies. Off hand most of the guys here are not using after market systems because the 6.7L is pretty new.

In my own opinion the Fass pump has a hard time pulling fuel from the tank.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:56 PM
thomil18
New User
Quick update. After messing with the pump some more I found that there is a ball and spring set up on the return side of the pump for pressure relief however the ball wasn't in the pump so I contacted fass and they were more than happy to overnight a new ball and spring and I was able to quickly hook the pump back up the correct way and all is well.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:28 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Glad to hear that you got it fixed.

Can you explain a bit more about the system and how it's supposed to work?

Thanks!

Old 11-12-2015, 07:00 PM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's pretty sad. I got and installed mine a few weeks back and had same problem, crank no start with low fuel pressure warning. I finally put a gauge on the pump and it was putting out 8 PSI. Called FASS and they were somewhat hostile (I wasn't very pleasant either so we were even). Called the selling dealer and he had me pull my spring and ball and determined I had wrong spring. FASS sent me another and the pressure went to 70 PSI. I called again and they said the higher pressure wouldn't hurt anything so I kept it. BEWARE: I ran out of fuel yesterday with 70 miles to go on the dash display. The tube that goes to the bottom of the tank setup won't get you near as far on a tank of fuel as the stock fuel pickup. I ordered a sump to install on mine so I can make use of all the fuel in the tank. I also put an electronic fuel pressure gauge between pump and under hood filter and am darn glad I did. Without it I would have cranked and cranked it yesterday to try to get it to start. I monitored the gauge and couldn't get the pressure to build up after adding fuel. Called FASS and they guided me through the bleeding process to get pump primed. Got pressure up and started right up with no problems since.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:28 AM
thomil18
New User
Originally Posted by superrangerman2002
Glad to hear that you got it fixed.

Can you explain a bit more about the system and how it's supposed to work?

Thanks!
The system is set up with 2 separate filters the first being a larger 10 micron filter that is suppose to separate larger debris and water from the fuel and then onto a 3 micron filter that is suppose to eliminate any other contaminates and remove air from the fuel before supplying the clean air free fuel to you high pressure injector pump. With all of the headache I have had with mine and considering the fact that my factory pump was working just fine when I made the upgrade I wouldn't recommend the system unless your factory pump had already kicked the bucket or you had some seriously increased fuel demands such as duel CP4's and larger injectors. I will provide a link to a Youtube video that has a decent animation of how the system is suppose to function.

https://www.youtube.com/user/FASSFuelSystems

Old 11-14-2015, 10:35 AM
thomil18
New User
Originally Posted by sgrol
That's pretty sad. I got and installed mine a few weeks back and had same problem, crank no start with low fuel pressure warning. I finally put a gauge on the pump and it was putting out 8 PSI. Called FASS and they were somewhat hostile (I wasn't very pleasant either so we were even). Called the selling dealer and he had me pull my spring and ball and determined I had wrong spring. FASS sent me another and the pressure went to 70 PSI. I called again and they said the higher pressure wouldn't hurt anything so I kept it. BEWARE: I ran out of fuel yesterday with 70 miles to go on the dash display. The tube that goes to the bottom of the tank setup won't get you near as far on a tank of fuel as the stock fuel pickup. I ordered a sump to install on mine so I can make use of all the fuel in the tank. I also put an electronic fuel pressure gauge between pump and under hood filter and am darn glad I did. Without it I would have cranked and cranked it yesterday to try to get it to start. I monitored the gauge and couldn't get the pressure to build up after adding fuel. Called FASS and they guided me through the bleeding process to get pump primed. Got pressure up and started right up with no problems since.
When you installed your system you may have not placed you fuel pickup tube close enough to the bottom of you tank. It is suppose to be placed no more than 1/8" from the bottom of your tank. Depending on where in the tank your tube is place it could also be over a ridge which would also limit your available fuel. It is very important to have you tube as close to the lowest spot on your tank so that you don't end up with unusable tank capacity. However a properly placed sump should eliminate any problems that you are having.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:15 PM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thomil18
When you installed your system you may have not placed you fuel pickup tube close enough to the bottom of you tank. It is suppose to be placed no more than 1/8" from the bottom of your tank. Depending on where in the tank your tube is place it could also be over a ridge which would also limit your available fuel. It is very important to have you tube as close to the lowest spot on your tank so that you don't end up with unusable tank capacity. However a properly placed sump should eliminate any problems that you are having.
I had bed off when I installed my system so fuel tank was in normal position. I installed pick up tube per FASS instructions. According to FASS, their pump pulls much more fuel than the stock pump and it can create a vortex when the fuel level is low and suck in air. Knowing what I do now, if it would happen again I would try to prime the pump by opening the filter valve. I think I could have started it again to get off of the road if I would have tried this. Wouldn't go far but may be able to get out of traffic.