Sponsored by: Moser

2013 F150 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 07:58 PM
mule700
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 F150 won't start

Hello everyone, I have a 2013 F150 XLT 4X4 with the 5.0. It has 53k miles on it and I purchased it new. A few days ago I tried staring my truck, and on the 5th attempt it finally started. Well I went and replaced the battery because it tested weak. It happened again this morning and it didn't start. I had to have it towed to a mechanic. It turns over strong so I'm thinking it may be a fuel problem. It's not a security issue regarding the smart key. I tried my wife's key and still It didn't start. So has anyone heard of this type of problem? I was wondering if this was a common issue. Thanks.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:08 PM
Rod Fletcher
New User
It's hard to say if it's a common issue, because a no-start could be caused by lots of things. You're probably right about it not being security related, so long as you didn't see a security light blinking with the ignition on. At this point it could be a faulty fuel pump, crank position sensor, or any of a handful of relays and fuses. As my truck is very similar to yours, I'd be curious to hear what your mechanic finds. I'm a tech myself, my mileage is much lower than yours, and I've had zero issues to this date.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:20 PM
fastback89
Senior User
There has been known issue with crank sensor with the 5.0, even in the Mustangs. I am also curious what they find with your truck, because I have a 13 5.0 F150. Good luck with getting it fixed

Old 11-02-2015, 09:26 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mule700
Hello everyone, I have a 2013 F150 XLT 4X4 with the 5.0. It has 53k miles on it and I purchased it new. A few days ago I tried staring my truck, and on the 5th attempt it finally started. Well I went and replaced the battery because it tested weak. It happened again this morning and it didn't start. I had to have it towed to a mechanic...
Welcome to the forum, mule700! Just to clarify, are you having a Ford Dealership diagnose your truck? I want to see what I can do to assist.

Crystal

Old 11-02-2015, 06:18 PM
mule700
New User
Originally Posted by FordService
Welcome to the forum, mule700! Just to clarify, are you having a Ford Dealership diagnose your truck? I want to see what I can do to assist.

Crystal
No Crystal I have it at my local mechanic. The truck was not getting fuel. I went to Ford Saturday and bought a fuel relay and a 20amp fuse. The 20amp fuse in the #41 spot is burnt, but not blown. When I went to the dealership I talked to a mechanic and told him what was going on. He is the one who told me I needed a new relay and fuse and that was the problem. I went to my truck at the mechanic and installed both new items, but it didn't start. He said they have been seeing this lately.

Today I stopped by to check on it and it would start, but they are not sure what the problem was. They are gonna keep it overnight and see if it will start in the morning. Maybe the fuel system reset, I don't know.

I sure hope this is something small and not real expensive. I really like this truck.

I really appreciate you reaching out and trying to help. If this is something that you or your coworkers have seen and have some insight that would be great.

If it happens again I will bring it to the dealership. The only reason I didn't is because I don't have an extended warranty, but now I realize I probably should have.

Thanks again very much.
Brian.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:16 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
If it happens again I will bring it to the dealership. The only reason I didn't is because I don't have an extended warranty, but now I realize I probably should have.
Yes you should have, you are still under powertrain warranty until 60,000 miles which includes the fuel pump. You're paying your private mechanic for something that is probably covered under warranty.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:55 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
...If it happens again I will bring it to the dealership. The only reason I didn't is because I don't have an extended warranty, but now I realize I probably should have.

Thanks again very much.
Brian.
Sure thing, Brian. Give me a shout if you experience this again; I'll be happy to step in and get involved.

Crystal

Old 11-04-2015, 09:01 AM
mule700
New User
Originally Posted by FordService
Sure thing, Brian. Give me a shout if you experience this again; I'll be happy to step in and get involved.

Crystal
Thanks Crystal. I picked up my truck yesterday, and it has been starting fine. Mechanic is not sure what happened, but I will keep an eye on the fuse that had a burnt spot on it.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:28 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Thanks Crystal. I picked up my truck yesterday, and it has been starting fine. Mechanic is not sure what happened, but I will keep an eye on the fuse that had a burnt spot on it.
I'm happy to hear that you have your truck back, Brian. If you need any help in the future, I'll be here.

Crystal

Old 11-05-2015, 07:33 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I hate it when problems "go away" without a valid cause as to why. Welcome to the forum btw! I agree with Tom you should have taken it to the dealer if it was still under warranty.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:54 PM
BoostedDesigns
New User
No Crank issues

My Wife and I are having the exact same issue. We have taken it to a local transmission shop and had them "replace" the neutral safety switch inside the transmission (6r80), worked for a the day and then same thing, No Crank no start. We have 137k miles on it. I removed the dealer installed alarm and stater kill, thinking that may have something to do with the intermittent issue, but that did nothing as well. When it does not start the LCD dash knows which gear it is in, the backup camera works in reverse, but no cranking. We have been getting it to start for the last few weeks by either trying it in Neutral, sometimes works, or aggressively running it through the gears several times and then back into park. Sometimes this process takes 20+ min. but hasn't left us completely stranded as of yet. cant seem to find any relation to truck being warm, cold. outside temp, time of the month, moon cycle etc. sometimes it works fine sometimes it doesn't.

Any Help?!?!?! guesses, thoughts, ideas. im open to anything at this point.

Hello everyone, I have a 2013 F150 XLT 4X4 with the 5.0. It has 53k miles on it and I purchased it new. A few days ago I tried staring my truck, and on the 5th attempt it finally started. Well I went and replaced the battery because it tested weak. It happened again this morning and it didn't start. I had to have it towed to a mechanic. It turns over strong so I'm thinking it may be a fuel problem. It's not a security issue regarding the smart key. I tried my wife's key and still It didn't start. So has anyone heard of this type of problem? I was wondering if this was a common issue. Thanks.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:00 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Makes me think its the fuel pump

Old 04-29-2017, 07:13 PM
BoostedDesigns
New User
We had the melting fuel pump relay and replaced it with the ford relocation kit with the bigger fuse, the square kind. That was about 4 months ago. Would the fuel cause it to not crank?

Originally Posted by brokenleg
Makes me think its the fuel pump

Old 08-23-2017, 10:28 AM
mccabesd
New User
Found It

Just had the same problem, but i noticed that fuse #27 (Fuel Pump Relay Power) was burnt. It did not pop, but burnt the fuse box too. The entire box will be replaced.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:36 AM
BoostedDesigns
New User
Turned out to be just a bad starter, climbed under the truck one morning it was not starting and hit it with a hammer, turned over immediately after. replace starter and haven't had an issue since. now i just feel dumb.

Originally Posted by BoostedDesigns
My Wife and I are having the exact same issue. We have taken it to a local transmission shop and had them "replace" the neutral safety switch inside the transmission (6r80), worked for a the day and then same thing, No Crank no start. We have 137k miles on it. I removed the dealer installed alarm and stater kill, thinking that may have something to do with the intermittent issue, but that did nothing as well. When it does not start the LCD dash knows which gear it is in, the backup camera works in reverse, but no cranking. We have been getting it to start for the last few weeks by either trying it in Neutral, sometimes works, or aggressively running it through the gears several times and then back into park. Sometimes this process takes 20+ min. but hasn't left us completely stranded as of yet. cant seem to find any relation to truck being warm, cold. outside temp, time of the month, moon cycle etc. sometimes it works fine sometimes it doesn't.

Any Help?!?!?! guesses, thoughts, ideas. im open to anything at this point.

Quick Reply: 2013 F150 won't start