Let's share some horror stories - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's share some horror stories

Old 10-31-2015, 03:56 PM
Senior User

MUDBUCKET is starting off with a positive reputation.
When I was about 20 yrs old I had a 77 F150 351/4spd 4x4 shortbox 3" lift with 33's. Put some rust free doors on it got a nice metallic blue paint job, looked really nice. Being young and dumb one day, shortly after the body work was done, I had it in granny low 1st gear on the pavement and stomp the gas pedal....snap ,crunch ..the rear wheel went rolling past me...the axle snapped and the tire folded in the rear quarter...
Old 11-02-2015, 01:16 AM
Posting Guru

ZombieSlayer has a good reputation on FTE.ZombieSlayer has a good reputation on FTE.
I can't remember the date but a few years ago my sisters aerostar got a flat and she called me to come fix it. They tried the fix-a-flat and took it to a shop and the shop plugged a hole. However nobody noticed the valve stem was leaking. So I get up there and do the soapy water test, see the leaky valve stem and say "oh easy fix"

I put on the spare and we take the van to the tire shop to have them replace the valve stem. Along the way we kept hearing this odd noise. The speed limit on the road was 50 and it was me, sis, and her two youngest cruising at 50 when all of a sudden there was a horrible bang and the van lurched to the left and the rear fell and was dragging on the asphalt. When I finally got it stopped I noticed that the left rear tire was no longer there

I had completely forgot to tighten the lugs after putting them on by hand and lost the tire on a fairly busy road. Scared the crap outta my sis and the kids and made me kick myself for a few weeks afterwards.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:14 PM
Senior User

dreamofford is starting off with a positive reputation.
drove a 1970 maverick through rush hour traffic and noticed my steering was funny. pulled into a parking lot to check it out and found the tie rod end hanging down so put it back in and used a bread tie to hold it in place and drove real slow on the back roads to a parts store. boy was i scared. but i drove that car for another three years it had a 300 six in it and a three speed colum shift and it was fast to me.