Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Rear Wheel ABS Sensor? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 04:05 PM
fishfighter
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Wheel ABS Sensor? HELP!

Have an 03' 7.3 with 355K on it, recently a potentially dangerous problem has come up and some what has informed me it could be stemming from my Rear Wheel ABS Sensor. About a month ago I pulled away from my house didn't get a mile down the street when my engine light along with others came on, I lost the ability to accelerate and brake but my radio and everything else kept working. I took my foot off the accelerator and after several seconds of coasting all the lights went off and I regained control. Nothing else happened and it was fine for about a month until today when the same thing happened as I approached a stop sign not a mile from my house. after I regained control I put the truck in park, turned it off and restarted it. I continued driving but as I tried to accelerate up later on right around 40mph the engine light would come on and I wasnt allowed to accelerate and overdrive would kick on however I did still have my brakes and my radio and all that was still working and I never needed to restart the truck just allow it to coast until I was able to continue. If I took my foot off the accelerator several seconds later the light would go off and I was free to continue, This happened about a half dozen times on my way to work.
does anyone have any other ideas or agree that it could be the ABS sensor that needs replacing?

Thanks for any help

Old 10-24-2015, 04:15 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It doesn't sound like an ABS sensor to me but not 100% for sure. The sensor is cheap 30 bucks I think and go OEM only NO aftermarket ones. These trucks do not like aftermarket sensors, relays or glow plugs. Or you can use an ome meter to test the old one.

It sits on top of the rear diff with a plug going into it. If I remember correctly it's a 10mm bolt, pull off install new OEM sensor.

I never had any trucks with a bad TPS (throttle position sensor) but sounds like that may be an issue. From what I have read when those go out it's a no throttle issue.

Do you have any way to read codes like AE (auto ingenuity) or snap on? Most others will not read these trucks.

I'm sure others will chime in that may know this issue better.

Old 10-24-2015, 04:19 PM
fishfighter
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay thank you I will look into that as well, my buddy who I'm trying to get a hold of I believe is able to read the codes for me

Old 10-24-2015, 04:58 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Good deal, as long as it is not a cheap on. Most can not read these trucks.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:51 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's either the IVS (idle validation switch) or APP (accelerator pedal position) sensor. If you pull codes, you'll find a P0220 and/or P0221. On an 03, those are an integral unit, and come as an assembly like this one. Sometimes removing the assembly and spraying some quality contact cleaner in it clears it up. I'll go out on a limb and say it is definitely not related to anything in the ABS system.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:00 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
That is true. Forgot about that, anything related with speed control is through the ABS computer.