Transit Connect 2010+ Ford Transit Connect

front bumper protection

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 07:20 PM
EvanBly
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front bumper protection

I've just about accessorized my TC: dash mat, wind deflectors, bug deflector, seat covers, trailer hitch, seat belt extenders that allow me to drive through my local area without hearing the seat belt warning, and a glare protection tint across the top of the front window. Now I'm considering some front bumper protection. Any suggestions?

Old 10-19-2015, 09:57 AM
2LostInTransit
Junior User
Evan, Ford offers a bug deflector as made by LUND.. Although the defector attaches at the hood seam, this still leaves a wide area uncovered. At one point we had considered the La Bra type cover on the van, But as of yet nothing has been made. Except there could be an option available from the Focus/Fusion family.

The only other alternatives to this is, ceramic coating or vehicle graphics.. I've been offered a chance to have our van creamily coated (for life) and not just the front end but the entire van in side and out.. this coating can not be set on fire and is graffiti proof. I'm not sure I wanted to go to that extreme.. but the vehicle graphic is looking better to us and after seeing this image:

We've changed our plans on having a van look drab with an all black, Grey accents.. Adding some color will defiantly come into play soon. But what I'm getting at is that the vinyl film used on our vans can easily be clean more so that the painted surface.

One other things comes to mind here.. Husky Liners has a clear film which is applied on the front end on the hood, around the headlights etc.. this is a very durable product also. However, it's unclear if Husky had created this product, because they're waiting to see if there is a big enough demand of this coating.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:59 PM
EvanBly
Senior User
2Lost;

Thanks for he suggestions. The shop that did the 8" glare tint on my windshield recommended that I not do the clear film liner on the body. The manager explained by showing me a Beemer in the shop that had the clear on various body parts--the material was yellowing with time and there were some ragged edges.

This shop had not done the original job, but was being asked to do the extraction. The manager was nervous about the job because he said that when removed the paint would most likely have a different shade than the rest of the vehicle. He was also worried that if there were weak spots in the underlying paint that removal of the film might tear up pieces of paint. He was thinking of backing out of the job.

I suppose the clear film might have been done a number of years ago, when the process may have been relatively new. It may be the case that new technology has produced a better product. But I don't want to be the experiment.

Also, I am looking for something structural, like a bull-bar. Not that I plan on running into any bulls but I'd like something in front that might take a minor hit without messing the bumper.

Old 10-19-2015, 04:40 PM
2LostInTransit
Junior User
Evan, You've been doing your home work. true there could be some yellowing of the clear.. But again it was a suggestion. As for the bull bar, I've searched myself and currently the only thing I've found is a single tube design which look rather ugly in my option.. I was searching for something more rugged looking and sort of frames off the front end.

One Subaru site has an custom job where the fellow welded his own bull bar and fog lights on the forester, I believe.. Even camo with a permanent muddy splash/splat look.
I believe the issue is, there isn't enough front end (metal etc) on the TC to actually make something work. I'm electing to use the tow hook only and may find something after market that can screw into what is already existing.. But as of yet.. nothing.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:59 PM
EvanBly
Senior User
Brave new worlds. I've seen pictures of Connects with bull bars, but have no idea what they are hooked up to. When I look under the vehicle I do not see any available, strong support. Humm...maybe something for ford to consider. Along with a better clearance and AWD.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:04 PM
2LostInTransit
Junior User
Could this be what you're referring to?

Ford Transit-Connect Front A Bars | 4x4 Accessories & Front Styling | Transit-Connect Front Bar Trade 4x4 Accessories
This is the tubular design I was referring to in my above statement.

Europe is the best place to find accessories at the moment.. But one would have to buy out the nose to get it to the states.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...221665939.html
This is something we're considering for the front of the TC, More of a AUX lighting support than a push/bull/brush guard. even though this plastic guard is made for the crv.. it's the same general concept/idea.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:09 AM
EvanBly
Senior User
2Lost;

Indeed, that's what I'm referring to. Thanks for the source. As I look at the ad it seems that the bar arrangement further lowers the front clearance by about 3 inches. I'm not sure what I think about that.

Anyway I appreciate the information and it gives me something to come back to and think about.

I wonder what the ship price would be? I will check with my trailer hitch source and see if they have anything in the U.S. market.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:29 PM
Lost In Transit
Evan, There's not much I haven't seen or looked for while attempting to create an overlander out of this micro van.. I guess if you like that sort of bull bar, more power to you.. I'm going to search for something a bit more refine.

oh btw, this is me I guess you knew that by now.. I decided to log in with my Google+ account info seeing how the Admins aren't going to change my other account's name and delete to old messed up post.

Let's start from scratch..

Old 10-20-2015, 06:50 PM
EvanBly
Senior User
Good! I appreciate your homework and like your exploration of the TC.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:16 AM
kandratya
New User
Excellent information and so by the way! Thank you!