Aerosol Primer

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 12:58 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Aerosol Primer

In the process of sand blasting 3 steel 65 grilles, couple upper valances, and a few other items and rather than break out the air compressor, paint gun, etc.; not to mention cleaning, is there a good aerosol type primer anyone can recommend that would prevent rust from resurfacing? I do not intend keeping the items or I would take a different approach. Also, considered using a paint but then should I decide to sell the buyer may have some thing else in mind?? I do not expect to find quality primer/paint locally and would like to order ASAP!! Thank you.

Comments/suggestions appreciated!!

Old 10-17-2015, 05:31 PM
tbm3fan
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Try this. We use this down on the ship museum to cover up aluminum panels when restoring a plane before color.

Krylon DPP101 Green Dupli-Color Self-Etching Primer

Attached Images   
Old 10-17-2015, 06:04 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by tbm3fan
Try this. We use this down on the ship museum to cover up aluminum panels when restoring a plane before color.

Krylon DPP101 Green Dupli-Color Self-Etching Primer
Story of my life, as soon as I made the purchase your response popped up; I do appreciate your input. I have used the product you suggested in the past and very please with results, unfortunately, I could not remember the brand name, or item description. Can't beat the price so, intend purchasing a box. Again, I thank U!!

Here's the stuff I just purchased: SEM Products High Build Primer Surfacers 42043 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Old 10-19-2015, 12:37 AM
tbm3fan
Cargo Master
I replied the same day you posted. You were just too fast for your own good or in a big hurry...

Old 10-19-2015, 07:33 AM
MP&C
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Most typical aerosol primers do not offer the sealing qualities of a good epoxy primer, so it's unlikely they will prevent the re-surface of rust.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:37 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by MP&C
Most typical aerosol primers do not offer the sealing qualities of a good epoxy primer, so it's unlikely they will prevent the re-surface of rust.
Agree, in the event decide to sell the items I was looking at the aerosol can as a quick and temporary solution, will advise buyer they should apply a top coat ASAP. Not knowledgeable when it comes to the types of paints and what I do not want to do is apply a primer that would present a problem, or not be compatible with the application of a 'top-coat'. If I understand correctly neither of the suggestions, so far, would not present a problem??

Appreciate everyone's comments!!

Old 10-19-2015, 11:44 AM
tbm3fan
Cargo Master
Top coat can be done on the paint I suggested. Not my preference as I would prefer epoxy primer. Anyway one plane that was entirely painted with the self-etching was top coated a year later with no problems. The plane above was top coated one month ago and there was some lifting and runs. Our resident paint chemist, who actually made the paints, knows it happened because of the higher amount of solvent in the paint. His next batch will take that into account since the plane has been scuffed for another coat after the runs where eliminated.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:52 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by daveengelson
Agree, in the event decide to sell the items I was looking at the aerosol can as a quick and temporary solution, will advise buyer they should apply a top coat ASAP. Not knowledgeable when it comes to the types of paints and what I do not want to do is apply a primer that would present a problem, or not be compatible with the application of a 'top-coat'. If I understand correctly neither of the suggestions, so far, would not present a problem??

Appreciate everyone's comments!!
You can paint over nothing if you want . The biggest deal is how clean you got the parts to begin with . Acid etch primer is best over clean aluminum or steel . You used a surface prime high build . Its better than nothing & for the record you can paint over it with anything if you like. How long it lasts is dependent on what it is exposed to over the years

Old 10-20-2015, 07:00 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Originally Posted by tbm3fan
Top coat can be done on the paint I suggested. Not my preference as I would prefer epoxy primer. Anyway one plane that was entirely painted with the self-etching was top coated a year later with no problems. The plane above was top coated one month ago and there was some lifting and runs. Our resident paint chemist, who actually made the paints, knows it happened because of the higher amount of solvent in the paint. His next batch will take that into account since the plane has been scuffed for another coat after the runs where eliminated.
THe few airplanes I have painted were stripped & coated with Dupont acid etch . Based on the fact that they were aluminum & we wanted to add as little weight to the plane as possible .

Old 10-20-2015, 07:09 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
What I am considering is once I have sand blasted, or wire brushed the item, clean it with a cleaning agent, rinse, then apply a mild solution of metal etch, rinse thoroughly, then apply couple thin coats of primer. I purchased about 3 flavors of primer to sample then determine which works best?

Appreciates all's suggestions and comments!

Old 10-21-2015, 07:16 AM
MP&C
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Dave, if these are items you are selling, do you put them online (auctions, CL, etc) or local swap meets? I understand wanting to make them look better, but just questioning whether you see that much extra in sales to offset your time and expenses. In my case, as I have a paint job to guarantee, I would strip any part to bare metal just to have a warm fuzzy as to what I'm painting over top of, especially if it has been covered with something out of a spray can. So for me, and likely many others in the market for used parts, they would rather see original finish, however degraded it may be, to better know the true condition of the part. I would be less inclined to pay the upcharge for such efforts to clean and paint when I am going to strip it regardless, so I would lean toward buying something in original finish, if available. Just curious if you are coming out ahead with your additional efforts in blasting and priming?

Old 10-21-2015, 11:19 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Dave, if these are items you are selling, do you put them online (auctions, CL, etc) or local swap meets? I understand wanting to make them look better, but just questioning whether you see that much extra in sales to offset your time and expenses. In my case, as I have a paint job to guarantee, I would strip any part to bare metal just to have a warm fuzzy as to what I'm painting over top of, especially if it has been covered with something out of a spray can. So for me, and likely many others in the market for used parts, they would rather see original finish, however degraded it may be, to better know the true condition of the part. I would be less inclined to pay the upcharge for such efforts to clean and paint when I am going to strip it regardless, so I would lean toward buying something in original finish, if available. Just curious if you are coming out ahead with your additional efforts in blasting and priming?
Appreciate the information, very good point. I am in the infancy stage of passing on 'stuff' and not good at it at all. I try and take before/after photos but found nothing is free and there is a cost in acquiring 'stuff'. Your point of perhaps putting too much effort into presenting an item; strip/blast, clean and prime, may be time consuming and unnecessary, so in the future intend clean and put it out there as is?

Again thank you much for the input, certain given me food for thought!

Old 10-22-2015, 07:28 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
This I agree with if it were me buying

Old 10-22-2015, 07:55 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Action4478
This I agree with if it were me buying
Again, appreciate everyone's input. About to list an item I intended to prep for listing and most likely would have taken 2-3 hours, decided to clean, then list and now see how it goes?? Thank you!!