6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Long Term Hope for 2012 F250

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 11:28 AM
Joannr24
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long Term Hope for 2012 F250

I've had a multitude of death wobble problems and Ford customer service is a JOKE!
I've decided if I keep the truck to pay $1000 out of pocket to fix the suspension the right way at a non-Ford mechanic. I have a full bumper to bumper warranty but Ford won't cover anybody but their dealerships. Well in 3 months the parts Ford put on have broken twice.
However, my daily drive with my 2012 F250 is about 25 minutes at about 45 -55 mph and the same drive back. It's 13 miles one way. I tow about once a month max and it's about 5000 - 7000 lbs. The truck has 37K miles on it at 3.5 yrs old. I'm really toying with trading it for a tundra today. I love this truck but people have told me if I don't work it enough it will start having trouble. I have not had any engine trouble to date (besides the crack cylinder thing which they fixed) and it goes into regen about every one to two days. Do you think this kind of driving will affect the truck down the road or would have issues have already popped up by now?

Old 10-17-2015, 12:02 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have a "leveling kit"?? Larger tires?
And what does the caster measure? I have found that many trucks can benefit from a +1 caster correction.
+1 is the minimum I would go with and level kit or left/larger tires.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:18 PM
Joannr24
Freshman User
It is stock with no leveling kit and the factory size tires. I've read about the caster but it seems like a lot of work to adjust it. The suspension place said the Ford parts stink. Ford replaced the track bar, tie rod, bushings on both sides in May and again in July and now in october it's broke again. If I keep it I was going to replace all of those parts with Moog parts and put in a dual stabilizer something or other. The suspension place said that should fix it. Fingers crossed. Moreso, I worry about all this stuff I hear about if you don't work it hard enough you'll run into trouble.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:55 PM
tony montana 42
Senior User
What is the death wobble anyways?

Old 10-17-2015, 01:34 PM
Joannr24
Freshman User
Old 10-17-2015, 01:39 PM
DeeDubz
More Turbo
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
I experienced the death wobble too, I had to take my truck to ford two times to get it fixed. Finally after arguing they fixed it. Replaced the steering stabilizer. It was out of adjustment and didn't meet the specs to get replaced. They replaced it free of charge (under warranty). Now my truck is having a rough idle and intermittent loss of power. Really not too happy might be looking for a new truck.

Old 10-17-2015, 01:40 PM
Powerdude
Elder User
Yep, that's the death wobble alright.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:36 PM
tony montana 42
Senior User
Damm. I don't have that problem at least yet lol

Old 10-17-2015, 03:05 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Joannr24
It is stock with no leveling kit and the factory size tires. I've read about the caster but it seems like a lot of work to adjust it. The suspension place said the Ford parts stink. Ford replaced the track bar, tie rod, bushings on both sides in May and again in July and now in october it's broke again. If I keep it I was going to replace all of those parts with Moog parts and put in a dual stabilizer something or other. The suspension place said that should fix it. Fingers crossed. Moreso, I worry about all this stuff I hear about if you don't work it hard enough you'll run into trouble.
Although none of my trucks have ever had this problem I would not hesitate to correct the caster. And probably add more than the factory spec.
Picture a shopping cart being pushed backwards, just doesn't work. I have used up to +3 of caster in lifted trucks with great success.
If my new truck did this I would start at +1. I would bet it is non-existent at +1.5 or so.
A new stabilizer may mask the problem for a while but in the end those wheels want to wobble. And being a solid axle truck you only need to be out on one side and the steering components will transfer the wobble to the other.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:25 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
The origin or genesis of Death Wobble lies in the Track Bar, from there it spreads like a cancer to any component that hangs under the front frame.

At the FIRST sign of DW your number 1 objective is to fix the Track Bar, the longer you delay the more DW spreads until every component become a contributing factor from ball joints in.

I ran the Ford Dana 60, HiPinion axle F/R in my Jeep and DW began to plague me. I went to shop after shop, after shop, finally got tired of no fix'ums and the Jeep community offered zero solutions. DW on Jeeps is not an option its standard equipment.

If you want to see DW, put it in a 95 in wheelbase with 135 lbs of tire/rim on each side spinning and drive over a expansion strip. It will pick the Jeep up and put it in a different lane. Guys have gotten broken arms from the violence of the steering wheel. It will RIP the TB mounts off

I finally fixes for good, I redesigned the Track Bar and the lower and upper mounts, problem solved! Total cost about $250

This is the upper mount I cut off, look at the piece of paper I slid into the crack from DW

Old 10-17-2015, 04:36 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Nothing wrong with a tundra, if you want a new truck.

Old 10-17-2015, 04:49 PM
Joannr24
Freshman User
Ford has replaced the track bar twice in 3 months. That's why I'm done with the dealership. The suspension place said to replace the track bar, bushings, tie rod etc with Moog parts. They even said Ford parts stink. Customer service at Ford refuses to help me unless I take it to a dealership. So that's why if I keep it I'll pay $1000 out of pocket to replace all the parts and put the dual stabilizer on it. My concern is what other problems will I face on this truck?

Old 10-17-2015, 05:47 PM
willydmax
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds to me like you should try a different dealer. Each dealer is different and some are not so good and others are great.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:13 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
The origin or genesis of Death Wobble lies in the Track Bar, from there it spreads like a cancer to any component that hangs under the front frame.

At the FIRST sign of DW your number 1 objective is to fix the Track Bar, the longer you delay the more DW spreads until every component become a contributing factor from ball joints in.

I ran the Ford Dana 60, HiPinion axle F/R in my Jeep and DW began to plague me. I went to shop after shop, after shop, finally got tired of no fix'ums and the Jeep community offered zero solutions. DW on Jeeps is not an option its standard equipment.

If you want to see DW, put it in a 95 in wheelbase with 135 lbs of tire/rim on each side spinning and drive over a expansion strip. It will pick the Jeep up and put it in a different lane. Guys have gotten broken arms from the violence of the steering wheel. It will RIP the TB mounts off

I finally fixes for good, I redesigned the Track Bar and the lower and upper mounts, problem solved! Total cost about $250

This is the upper mount I cut off, look at the piece of paper I slid into the crack from DW
The farther away from parallel the drag link and track car go, the more bump steer you get. What you describe is classic bump steer.
I have corrected a multitude of lifted trucks with a wobble. Nearly all were attributed to caster.
My FJ40 used to act like your jeep when I hit a bump on the highway. It turned out the front BD springs had gotten so soft from rock crawling that they were compressing at speed. And you are right, it can be violent and scary.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:18 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,454 Likes on 898 Posts
Originally Posted by willydmax
Sounds to me like you should try a different dealer. Each dealer is different and some are not so good and others are great.

Agreed... I have 77k miles on my '12 and not a single repair on my truck to date.

Quick Reply: Long Term Hope for 2012 F250