Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 04:20 AM
frankpost
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
47 goes Dutch

Hi all

I just registered.
Have been busy restoring a 69 mustang fastback over the past few years, and recently got myself a 47 pickup (since the Mustang is as good as 'finished' and it's simply itching to start a new project already).

Actually I don't know much about the pickup so far. Apart from being imported to the Netherlands about 3 yrs ago. I still have to check its serial number to hopefully find out a bit more of its background. It was destined to turn into a flowerpot/garden 'ornament', which I couldn't bear and thus decided to save it :P

Will be using a F350 7.3 diesel as donor. Plans are to make it safe to ride, yet keep its current appearance (get the biggest dents and holes out though). It will get a clear coating eventually, to protect it from the harsh Dutch and crappy weather.

It's going to be quite the challenge, I'm not a mechanic by far, and since it's quite different from restoring a Mustang, having loads of (aftermarket) 'fitting' parts available. It'll be fun to work on though (and a proper amount of cursing once in a while I'm sure :P)

I hope to find some knowledge here, and share the project. Was trying to find other projects which also use a F350 to fit, yet didn't have much luck so far. If anybody knows some around please let me know, will be much appreciated, thanks!

some pics:

cheers,
Frank

Old 10-14-2015, 09:59 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Two very nice trucks to blend together. Maybe not the easiest two, but within the realm of possible. Hope while not a mechanic, you are at least a good welder and fabricator. Best of luck. Build it and we will watch! Oh, and welcome to FTE

Old 10-14-2015, 08:44 PM
tacomacream
Fleet Mechanic
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
You are off to a good start.

Your Dutch Ford will have a better pickup bed and rear fenders than this one has though.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:09 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
I'd have to fix that door handle. The sick part of me could handle the rest. Well maybe not the square pipes, or the .........Oh never mind. And I love the full floating rear axle.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:29 PM
Captain Sygo
Senior User
I think GB's sense of feng shui has been offended! Those dracula lug nuts are a bit too much for mine. I wonder if there's gold in that treasure chest...

Old 10-16-2015, 10:31 PM
Captain Sygo
Senior User
Oh, and welcome to the forum! If you've restored a Mustang, you're already way ahead of me in mechanical know-how. But figuring it out as you go along is most of the fun, right?

Old 10-18-2015, 04:49 PM
frankpost
New User
haha well the current bed has more holes than a golf court :P
And yes definitely true, making it all fit (and safe to drive, minor detail) is the most fun part

thanks for the welcome!

I've been checking out a possible donor candidate this weekend. It serviced as a tow truck for fighter jets at some airport (hence the shortened rear end).

somehow sad to cut up though, just looks like a little awesome monster ready to take on some sort of apocalypse (those red towing eyes will look quite good on the project though :P )

Old 10-18-2015, 10:30 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by frankpost
haha well the current bed has more holes than a golf court :P
And yes definitely true, making it all fit (and safe to drive, minor detail) is the most fun part

thanks for the welcome!

I've been checking out a possible donor candidate this weekend. It serviced as a tow truck for fighter jets at some airport (hence the shortened rear end).

somehow sad to cut up though, just looks like a little awesome monster ready to take on some sort of apocalypse (those red towing eyes will look quite good on the project though :P )

It will look awesome at 114" wheelbase and stuffed under your truck. The track width should be ok since a '47 half ton will haul a sheet of plywood with clearance for tire chains and about the same as a super duty.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:54 PM
frankpost
New User
Was checking its serial, hoping to find out a bit of its history, but can't really make up what it says. First couple letters/digits are a bit unclear (and looks like a mirrored Y ?!?)

couldnt really make anything from it using the info at VANPELT SALES LLC - your ford flathead source since 2006

Old 10-20-2015, 06:52 PM
tacomacream
Fleet Mechanic
Yes a mirrored Y, nothing else about the pickup says Y code. Just be happy that you have a serial number.

Search "serial number" on this forum. You will find there is not much to be gained from the number.

Old 10-24-2015, 04:51 PM
frankpost
New User
thanks Tacomacream! I didn't know the serial won't tell much.

Got the rear part of the donor pickup removed, since it was too heavy for the trailer to haul. Got it back to the workplace, ready to figure out where to start on this whole project.

Was thinking of disassembling the 47 first so I can get good measurements of everything.

At least I won't get bored this winter

Old 10-24-2015, 11:12 PM
tacomacream
Fleet Mechanic
Yes, get the pieces of the puzzle spread out so that you can see what you have to work with.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:44 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Before you take the super duty apart, see if it would do a wheelie! I absolute love what you are doing here. Two awesome trucks becoming one. I'm watching this one for sure!

Old 10-25-2015, 01:47 PM
frankpost
New User
thanks haha I think I'll have more luck doing a stoppie :P all weight is in the front part of the car now

Please don't expect some professional at work here, it'll be a lot of falling and getting back up during this project :P Got some knowledge from restoring my 69 mustang, but that's about it. I do know my way around 3D software to craft custom brackets and all, which hopefully comes in handy.

Also talking to a friend, who's a programmer, about putting a custom little screen behind the old instrument cluster to show all the needed data from the F350 engine. If that works out, I can keep the current instrument cutout in the dash, and still have all the info from the engine displayed. All gauges will be digital though, but I can give them the same look as the original