1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Windshield, back glass install

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 10:59 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Ford did not use any sealer, but if you want to use a sealer during the install for extra security, be sure to only use a non hardening butyl window caulk product, not RTV or urethane glue. Since the weatherstrip was not designed to use sealant, there is no space built in so apply the sealant very sparingly, cut only the very tip off the tube so only a small bead comes out. still be prepared to do a LOT of cleanup afterwards, so have plenty of paper towels, the appropriate solvent for the product, a large quantity of plastic gloves at hand as well as a large lined garbage can or box within arms reach. The sealant will ooze and need recleaning for some of time. Fortunately the good news is since it does not dry or harden, any further ooze will be removeable for quite some time. The bad news is that since it does not harden any excess sealant ooze not cleaned off can come back to get on your hands, clothes and upholstery at the most inappropriate times imaginable.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:08 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 3twinridges
Besides the rope trick and soapy water, we also used two suction cup pullers on the inside to help seat it in the frame while pulling the rope and applying pressure from outside. The windshield tool that looks like a screwdriver with a ball on the end is helpful for stubborn places as you go.
3TR, you must have several more arms than most or a lot of very close friends!

Old 10-01-2015, 01:19 AM
52 4x4
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
AX, can you tell us about the tabs that the Ford Truck Shop Manual mentions in regards to the windshield? I've done a couple of the back windows, but not sure what the tabs are about - need to do my windshield one of these days as I still have the cracked original in mine. - Bob

Old 10-01-2015, 07:10 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 52 4x4
AX, can you tell us about the tabs that the Ford Truck Shop Manual mentions in regards to the windshield? I've done a couple of the back windows, but not sure what the tabs are about - need to do my windshield one of these days as I still have the cracked original in mine. - Bob
Bob, there are pix and discussion about the tabs in ol_dan's link in his post above. The tabs are removed when using the weatherstrip and stainless window trim.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:34 PM
Cougar54
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My windshield went in as discussed in this thread without any issues. The rear window though was a completely different animal. Not near as simple as the windshield as the rear window sits in a "pocket" in the cab and the window with the weatherstrip on it is a pain to get into the pocket in order to get it close enough to get the rope trick to work with the seal. Seemed like the glass was slightly too large but after trying different brands of glass and weatherstripping I decided it was tight by design.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:02 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Cougar54
My windshield went in as discussed in this thread without any issues. The rear window though was a completely different animal. Not near as simple as the windshield as the rear window sits in a "pocket" in the cab and the window with the weatherstrip on it is a pain to get into the pocket in order to get it close enough to get the rope trick to work with the seal. Seemed like the glass was slightly too large but after trying different brands of glass and weatherstripping I decided it was tight by design.
I suspect it was made that way deliberately to be tight fit. The windshield installs from the outside so the glass can't blow in and the back window installs from the inside so it didn't blow out with the windows open, but it fits tightly in the frame so it doesn't push in easily from the outside either. I'd suggest lubing the weatherstripping and frame liberally with soap rich water solution before pushing it in.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:31 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
Bob, there are pix and discussion about the tabs in ol_dan's link in his post above. The tabs are removed when using the weatherstrip and stainless window trim.
You want to completely remove the tabs regardless of whether you are using the SS trim or not. Raytasch and I fought his F-4's windshield for at least an hour with the tabs removed, but the spot-welded base of the tabs in place. Not pretty!

Old 10-04-2015, 11:24 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AXracer
Ford did not use any sealer, but if you want to use a sealer during the install for extra security, be sure to only use a non hardening butyl window caulk product, not RTV or urethane glue. Since the weatherstrip was not designed to use sealant, there is no space built in so apply the sealant very sparingly, cut only the very tip off the tube so only a small bead comes out. still be prepared to do a LOT of cleanup afterwards, so have plenty of paper towels, the appropriate solvent for the product, a large quantity of plastic gloves at hand as well as a large lined garbage can or box within arms reach. The sealant will ooze and need recleaning for some of time. Fortunately the good news is since it does not dry or harden, any further ooze will be removeable for quite some time. The bad news is that since it does not harden any excess sealant ooze not cleaned off can come back to get on your hands, clothes and upholstery at the most inappropriate times imaginable.

Hi Ax,

Yes...I used that butyl sealer. The excess comes off easily with a little paint thinner on a rag (a disposable rag!). I bought that from a local classic Mustang shop. The owner there swears by it....I don't think that there was any factory sealant on Mustang windshields or rear windows either, but the rubber gaskets can leak a little. You'll also notice that we had a box of Costco nitrile gloves....throwing away a few pairs of those is much easier that working that sealant off of skin.

Dan

Old 10-05-2015, 09:38 AM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm about at the stage of putting my windows back in so this is very helpful. Thank you.

The sealer you mentioned above - is that the same as the string of putty-type of material I found along the outside edge under the weather stripping? It almost seems like plumber's putty.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:11 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
You can us the putty type butyl sealer, but it's stiffness makes it difficult to work with, the tube type butyl caulk is much easier to deal with. When you cut the tip off the tube, cut it close to the end so it has 1/8 -3/16" opening. Use a straightened coat hanger or length of brazing rod to break the seal in the tube. apply it carefully so you have single even small diameter bead all around. If you apply too much, you'll have to apply a lot of extra pressure during the install to squeeze out the excess. If you apply it unevenly the uneven pressure may crack the glass.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:19 AM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 10-05-2015, 01:19 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Connecticut Calvin
Yes, that is exactly what you want to use. Check the tube for the correct clean-up solvent.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:21 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Most windshield adhesives can be cleaned with denatured alcohol. I worked next to a glass shop for many year's. They used Isopropyl to clean things up.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:41 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SummerBreeze2
I found that it helps, at least to some degree to spray silicon on the inside rubber that is being pulled in by the rope.
SILICONE is a no no in any paint shop or garage, I never use it. Even some materials like fill and glaze had silicone I think. I quit using it. Really will mess up any paint work and hard to get rid of.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:55 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I am going commando with my glass
No sealer, only the rubber seals. If they leak I will pop them out and redo with sealer, but so far on other vehicles I have done installs on no sealer was needed.

Quick Reply: Windshield, back glass install