1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote start for XLT.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 10:54 AM
F250FX4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote start for XLT.

I've got a 2012 XLT that I would like to add remote start to because I'm tired of getting into a truck that feels like a freaking oven.

From what I see on Ford's site, looks like this should work:

http://accessories.ford.com/electronics/remote-start/remote-start-system-rpo-plug-in-play-kit.html

Are there any aftermarket systems I should be considering?

Old 09-29-2015, 10:58 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I honestly don't know the brand, but there is a local electronic shop that adds 3rd party remote start for about half the cost of the Ford unit. Frankly I still typically sell the Ford ones as people are more comfortable with Ford warranty than a feared unknown. But I have also never had a complaint with the aftermarket ones, and sometimes they do offer extended range versions. IMO you should call your local shop and see what they have to offer. I wouldn't be scared of them if a reputable shop was there for the install and future support if it ever would become needed.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:23 AM
RightWingNutJob
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an Audiovox Prestige Remote Start in my '15 F250 XLT. I like it. But I have to remember to leave the AC on before I shut off the truck.

VOXX Electronics : Prestige Car Security and Remote Start : Remote Start Systems

Can start truck from key fob. Also has smart phone app that allows me to start it remotely from anywhere.

App also allows me to track vehicle's current location, and keep tabs on whoever is driving - as far as speed, acceleration, braking, hard turns - all parameters that I can set in advance. You can also set up protection areas so the system will flag you with a phone text message whenever the vehicle leaves a predefined area (home, work, etc.). Also will call you if vehicle is ever moved with out starting the engine (ie. towed or stolen).

Bought mine through my Ford Dealer - so it's warrantied for 3/36 with the rest of the truck.

Last edited by RightWingNutJob; 09-29-2015 at 11:25 AM. Reason: sp
Old 09-29-2015, 04:53 PM
jdell74
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just installed a remote start/ security kit sold by FAIRWAY FORD on Ebay. This kit is all plug and play and comes with a key fobs for $249.00 and is also long range up to 1000 ft. The kit you are looking at is up to 300 ft and you will have to have the keys cut. Both of these are simple to install but you will need a Ford dealer to flash the computer for the remote start to function.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:27 PM
F250FX4
New User
Originally Posted by jdell74
I just installed a remote start/ security kit sold by FAIRWAY FORD on Ebay. This kit is all plug and play and comes with a key fobs for $249.00 and is also long range up to 1000 ft. The kit you are looking at is up to 300 ft and you will have to have the keys cut. Both of these are simple to install but you will need a Ford dealer to flash the computer for the remote start to function.
Thanks for the info on having to get the flash done at the dealer, I hadn't thought about that.

The longer range would be nice, but I kind of like the idea of having the keys cut so that it stays all together, rather than carrying an extra fob, but that's not a deal breaker by any means.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:19 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by F250FX4
I've got a 2012 XLT that I would like to add remote start to because I'm tired of getting into a truck that feels like a freaking oven.

From what I see on Ford's site, looks like this should work:

Remote Start System - 100 Series Plug-N-Play | The Official Site for Ford Accessories
Yes that is the correct kit. There are two keys in the box, and antenna.

The antenna simply plugs into the TPMS module located behind the glove box.

Keys will have to be cut and programmed to the truck. The remote start system will have to be activated by the dealer with IDS.

Originally Posted by F250FX4
Are there any aftermarket systems I should be considering?
There are pros and cons to going aftermarket over OEM.

Aftermarket kits are typically cheaper, however they must be wired in. Meaning your installation costs go up (typically), and you're also cutting/splicing/tapping into factory harnesses which if done incorrectly can cause issues down the road.

With the Ford kits, they are all plug and play for any truck 2011 and newer. This means that no wires are damaged or altered. In addition, you gain functionality with the Ford systems that the aftermarket doesn't have. For example, the Ford remote start will automatically turn on the heat or A/C depending on temperatures. With aftermarket systems, you have to pre-set the heat/AC to what you want prior to shutting down the truck.

In the end the decision is yours to make, but at least you have some information about the Ford kits that dealers don't typically relay to their customers.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:25 PM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The XLT model isn't going to turn on heater or A/C based on outside temperature, the hvac controls are all manual.

Go with a 3rd party with 2 way communication. How remote starts from the factory aren't 2 way on a $60k vehicle is mind boggling.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:30 PM
NYCruiser
Senior User
An XLT isn't a $60K vehicle

Old 09-29-2015, 08:35 PM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My point is a $70K loaded platinum doesn't have a 2 way remote start. Should be able to know the status of your car from your for fob. Hopefully a 2 way will be standard from the factory some day. Aftermarket has had this for ages.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:09 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee
The XLT model isn't going to turn on heater or A/C based on outside temperature, the hvac controls are all manual.
Unfortunately that information is not correct. Not sure who told you this, but I'll help set the record straight.

Actually, the XLT will turn on the heat/AC automatically. This goes for F-150 and Super Duty, as well as other Ford models that are plug-and-play compatible.

However, with the XLT and other models with single zone manual climate control, it's based on outside ambient temps, and does not automatically control the interior temperature. Meaning it won't set and hold the interior cabin temp to 72 degrees like it will with trucks equipped with dual automatic climate control.

Basically on the XLT, it will turn the A/C on max if it's hot outside, and defrost on max if it's cold outside, and continue to keep it that way until you put the key in the ignition.

But again..... aftermarket ones can't do that.

Go with a 3rd party with 2 way communication. How remote starts from the factory aren't 2 way on a $60k vehicle is mind boggling.
Ford also has the same option available. They have a plug-and-play bi-directional remote start kit that will give you feedback on the FOB (via flashing LED and small beep sound) letting you know the truck successfully started and that it's continuing to run.

It also functions the same as on the key itself, where it will automatically turn on the heat/AC.

The other features on this Ford bi-directional kit is that you gain extended range (Ford advertises 1000 ft), and it also includes an alarm system complete with shock sensor that integrates with the factory perimeter alarm.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:11 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
My point is a $70K loaded platinum doesn't have a 2 way remote start. Should be able to know the status of your car from your for fob. Hopefully a 2 way will be standard from the factory some day. Aftermarket has had this for ages.
It's coming.

That feature is already available on the F-150. The Super Duty still uses the old style keys. Most likely that will change with the 2017 model year and we'll see 2-way remote start integrated on the key itself like almost all the other current new Fords.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:07 AM
zimm
Tuned
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
For those with older than 2011 models- I added a Compustar remote start to my truck. I'm very impressed with the features/options and the range. You buy the $50 "box" and wires, then you can buy whatever remotes you like too. I went with their single button 2 way remote and it works great. Range is over 1000 ft. I can't even hear the truck running it starts from so far away.

As mentioned, the only "trick" in an XLT is to remember to set the AC or heat before you get out.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:30 AM
BBsound
Junior User

Wrong

I have a 2012 XLT
I bought that same kit, the dealer installed, turned on in the computer, and cut the keys, $376 out the door.
It does turn on the heat/AC dependent on outdoor temp.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:47 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 948 Likes on 583 Posts
I went with a Viper SmartStart. Have the app on my phone and I can start my 2014 F250 XLT from anywhere with it.
Love it for my part time truck driving job during the winter months. Just before I leave my last destination to park the delivery truck, I start my pickup from about 8 miles away and it's warmed up when I get to it.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:10 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Poncho450
I went with a Viper SmartStart. Have the app on my phone and I can start my 2014 F250 XLT from anywhere with it.
Love it for my part time truck driving job during the winter months. Just before I leave my last destination to park the delivery truck, I start my pickup from about 8 miles away and it's warmed up when I get to it.

Ford also has a similar setup called Remote Access, available for any plug-and-play compatible Ford vehicle.

Has the same features as the other Ford remote start systems. In addition, it can be set up to email or text you when the alarm is triggered, and it will tell you if it was a shock sensor responsible for the trigger or a door that was opened (via dome light turning on).

Range is unlimited as long as both the truck and phone have adequate 3G/4G signal.

I put that system on my 15 and my wife loves it.

Quick Reply: Remote start for XLT.