Electrical problem? ....or possessed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 03:07 PM
Gasquatch
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical problem? ....or possessed?

Aright boys, I'm stuck

I apologize for the length, just wanna give as much info from jump. I'm also posting this in other areas to try and get this diagnosed.

Truck background: '93 F250 XLT, 4x4, 7.5L gas, E4OD, 186,000 miles

A few months back, I did the 3G alternator conversion, used a new alternator intended for a '93 Taurus, and wired it up using the kit from Painless. Everything went in seamlessly and ran fantastic without issue.

I recently sent the truck off for a re-build and got the standard "master rebuild kit" done (Pistons, rods, crank, water pump, oil sender, balance, etc....). Also had banks headers thrown on, bbk throttle body, comp efi cam, and port matched everything.

Since I've got the truck back, it seems to have developed epilepsy or turrets. At any speed, highway, in-town, or idle, it will randomly do the following for about .5-1 second:

All gauges, accept tach, go to zero
Odometer display goes blank
ABS light comes on
Engine chokes

Like I said, it happens real quick, half second or second at the most, then immediately goes back to normal as if nothing ever happened.

I took the truck back to the builder and they said "It was a timing issue, so we put more timing in it. Should be fine now."
Sure enough, it did it twice again on the way home.

It's gotta be electrical, right?!

I've spent HOURS in the engine compartment looking for ANYTHING that looks out of place. I didn't find anything that would contribute to a problem like this.

The battery to engine ground looks solid, the battery to chassis ground looks solid, and the firewall/engine ground looks solid. The alternator is brand new, and I didn't have issue with it before the rebuild.

I can't find any other loose, frayed, or dangling wires.

I pulled the codes and got a TPS code, it was out of volt range, so I changed it. Volt readings are still a little high (1.4), but the idle is generally ok, and anyways, at driving speed the truck behaves normally until it spazzes.

I also got a 62C code, which the book says is for "cars only", for a transmission clutch fault.

I've looked all over the interwebs for someone with a similar problem, it seems this issue is a mechanical unicorn.

I need your help guys! Elk season is coming and I don't feel comfortable towing with this affliction!