6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

15' brake controller question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 10:09 PM
levi'sford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
15' brake controller question

Hooked up to one of our trailers and didn't have any lights or brakes. Appears after I shift into gear I get the trailer connected message? But not while idling and in park when I first plug in. After that if in park everything works. When I was backing up I got the trailer disconnected and trailer connected messages. I noticed marker lights fluttering. I got a trailer wiring fault at one point. I had a local place check the truck and all checked out. Problem with trailer? One of our goosenecks gets a trailer wiring fault once in a while on our 14'. Where should I start looking? Anyone else have any issues with factory integrated brake system. Thanks.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:16 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,413 Likes on 1,008 Posts
past experience always says to check the fuses. In this case they are ok.

So, the next step is the check the 7 pin plugs on the truck. You need to take them loose and check the wiring at the back of them.

The one on the bumper is usually the one.

Since this is a 15 it is probably under warranty. It should be looked at. They should have a tester they can plug into the 7 pin.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:42 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Check the trailer connector. I found that I need to "close up" the 7 way trailer contacts to make good connection to the 7 way blade connectors on my truck. After doing this, I just recently made a 7800 mile trip with no lost of connection or messages even when plugging and unplugging the 5th wheel a few times along the way....

Old 09-16-2015, 07:57 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Flickering lights can also indicate a less than adequate ground. Usually at the connector or trailer. You can verify this by running a separate ground from the truck frame to the trailer frame. If it cures it you know where to start looking.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:00 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by levi'sford
Hooked up to one of our trailers and didn't have any lights or brakes. Appears after I shift into gear I get the trailer connected message? But not while idling and in park when I first plug in. After that if in park everything works. When I was backing up I got the trailer disconnected and trailer connected messages. I noticed marker lights fluttering. I got a trailer wiring fault at one point. I had a local place check the truck and all checked out. Problem with trailer? One of our goosenecks gets a trailer wiring fault once in a while on our 14'. Where should I start looking? Anyone else have any issues with factory integrated brake system. Thanks.
Hi levi'sford,

Have you tracked down this issue yet? Keep in mind that you can always swing by your dealership so they can look things over. What's the current mileage on your truck?

Crystal

Old 09-16-2015, 08:41 AM
Tnriverside
Senior User
I agree with 69cj. I would look at the ground (trailer to truck) first.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:56 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup... Grounding issues comprise the vast majority of automotive electrical problems... Flickering is a good indicator that the ground is being done through the hitch rather than through the plug/harness..

Old 09-16-2015, 09:14 AM
levi'sford
Senior User
I haven't had a check to look at it yet. 3500 miles. Three months old.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:38 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
I haven't had a check to look at it yet. 3500 miles. Three months old.
Thanks for the quick reply, levi'sford. I'd like to push this up the line to your regional customer service manager. If that's something you'd be interested in, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll do the rest.

Crystal

Old 09-16-2015, 11:17 AM
levi'sford
Senior User
Crystal let me check the trailers first. Thanks for your help.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:41 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
I still say the trailer 7 pin connector is the problem. The 7 pin plug usually doesn't fit tight and will wiggle. If you tighten the trailer 7 pin plug connectors, it will more than likely solve your problem.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:38 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Crystal let me check the trailers first. Thanks for your help.
Sounds good, levi'sford. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what you find out.

Crystal

Old 09-16-2015, 07:13 PM
levi'sford
Senior User
I had about 30 minutes today so I took it back and hooked it to both my goosenecks. Nothing on either one. Can't get it to say "trailer connected". No parking lights nothing. It's something on the truck. I don't see any blown fuses, but if your not a very small person, getting to the fuses is a pain in the a$$. That's one thing my 06' had on this truck. LOL. Both of these trailers work fine on our 06' and 14' so it's something with the truck. I've got an appointment tomorrow. When the local truck up-fitter place plugged it in to their tester it worked fine, and after I started to move with the other trailer it worked (this was not one of the goosenecks I just tested it with). Only thing done aftermarket with wiring is the 7 pin in the bed, but that just hooks into and OEM harness by the bumper. I'm assuming the 15' is like my 06's in that hazards and parking lights etc work weather the truck is in gear??? We will see what the dealer comes up with.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:30 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,413 Likes on 1,008 Posts
Yes it should work as your 06. Upfitter probably did not get the 7 pin connectors or their patched one in the bed correct.

Always check fuses then right to the 7 pin.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:04 PM
levi'sford
Senior User
Dealer got it fixed. Said it was a bad ground on the truck and a faulty 7 pin on the bumper. Plugged it into one of the goosenecks and it at least said it was hooked up and lights worked. Ready to roll now. Thanks for all the help. I need to learn how to test elec stuff better, always end up blowing lots of fuses. Thanks again, Levi

Quick Reply: 15' brake controller question