Jailbar woody wagon

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 11:10 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
I have been looking for a matching set of seats for the woodie project. While at the Portland Oregon swap meet in April I found a set of nice ****** wagon seats. They have the period look with tubular steel frames and piping on the cushions. The owner wouldn't sell them to me for his posted asking price because they weren't going into a ******....What's that BS? Anyways I now had a start. ****** are usually pretty cheap and available. I asked around and voila! a pair of ****** in the deep woods about 10 miles from me with enough good seats to make the four. I was able to make a deal with the owner through a friend, but not 100 percent confirmed. They are a split bucket/bench set-up and up front the bench is on the left and in back the bench is on the right. The buckets are on brackets to fold up similar to panel truck seats. I have been installing a lot of glass too, and will post about that soon. VERY busy with work in the shop right now.....

Old 06-18-2018, 12:20 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
My goodness, Gary, the things you fall into. Those seats are perfect. Who would think that small island would hold such treasures. Probably all such utility type seats were pretty much alike. Might be an avenue I should pursue for the rear seat in my M-H. Stu

Old 06-18-2018, 12:34 AM
catimann
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish I had half your energy. At least it sure sounds like you are busy dawn to dusk. Glad you found some seats.

Old 06-18-2018, 04:44 AM
1952 Ford Coe
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a 1950 ****** wagon. Fun ride. You are right the seats will be perfect in your woody.

Old 06-18-2018, 05:36 AM
bernette
Cargo Master
Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts
jeez gary your kinda Lucky! i made over 1200 miles 2 weekends ago, only to come back with a few grille bars hopefully a good wiper motor and a few goodys. plus the guy thought they were made of gold!!!

Old 06-18-2018, 08:03 AM
Lumbah
Mountain Pass
Your Woody is looking really good. I've been busy for about 1 1/2 years since I retired and have hardly looked at the forum. Boy have I missed a lot! I know you'll enjoy touring in it.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:31 AM
tacomacream
Fleet Mechanic
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
It is good to see the progress on your wagon, and to hear that you are busy in the workshop!
https://www.kaiserwillys.com/categor...-station-wagon

Old 06-18-2018, 03:16 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. And Mike, a great link to the seat covers! Gonna try to quit early today and work on woodie windows. I started with the easy ones in the barn doors, then the sliders, then the back doors. For a window lift mechanism in the back doors I glued a piece of teak to the bottom edge of the glass, then attached a 1 1/4" wide piece of webbing material and drew it up through the slot. Then I burned a couple of holes in the webbing with a hot nail. There is a stud on the 'window sill' facing a bit downward to hook on the belt holes. The glass is 1/8", so not too heavy. Now I face the crank up windows in the front doors. The toyota assembly is as straightforward as it gets, so I don't expect too many problems, but one just never knows what will come up. Stay tuned for further details...... PS every time the phone rings I think it's gonna be the jeep owner telling me to go pick up the seats and leave the cash in the glovebox. In fact it rang when I was typing 'glovebox', but it was that robo-witch from google. Dang.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:44 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver

Well, I haven't posted in a while but a lot has happened. I have the windows in but the place hadn't done the windshield yet when I went to pick up the glass. I found I needed a horn for daily driving and I like them loud so I had a dual set of horns hanging on the wall. They sound great on 12 v. I like to use a ford starter relay to activate them. Just a ground wire to the small post in the center off they go. I made a wood rocker switch that grounds to the header over the windshield. A string from a hooded sweatshirt is my pull rope. Next I installed a wood floor over the plywood subfloor behind the front seat. A 20 dollar school bus seat was cut down in height and became the back seat for now. Got into the Fourth of July parade with 4 grandkids . We had a blast. I wired Woodie onto the hood and fashioned a microphone for him from some pine scrap. I painted the mic silver with never-sieze and ran a small wire from the mic down to a boombox mounted on the front bumper. My son in law helped me make a playlist for my ipod and we ran a loop of 4 songs by the Highwaymen, Johnny Cash, Alan Jackson and Hank Williams Jr. The volume was on ten and the roadside crowd was very enthusiastic! A fine time was had by ALL!

Old 07-10-2018, 12:01 AM
newold46
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
I think this one is the most fun I've had watching. It's even better than mine...
Thanks once again for sharing the ride with us and keep the shiny side up.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:06 AM
1952 Ford Coe
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome as always. What a ride. Love it!

Old 07-10-2018, 08:12 AM
Lumbah
Mountain Pass
That's a great idea to use the character Woody in your ride. The truck is looking really good! I bet the kids loved it.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:45 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
I like the woodie wagon as a unique vehicle, but I have never had any interest in the surfing scene that most woodie enthusiasts seem to gravitate to. When they were riding the waves and baking in the hot sun, I was building go karts and boats and other contraptions with discarded air cooled engines. My dad used to say I was born with 30 wt in my veins. Now that I'm on statins it might be down to a 20 wt.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:06 PM
white 66
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Parade photos....

GB what a work of art. That old woodie looks great!! Nice work on all accounts.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:44 AM
tacomacream
Fleet Mechanic
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
I like the woodie wagon as a unique vehicle, but I have never had any interest in the surfing scene that most woodie enthusiasts seem to gravitate to. When they were riding the waves and baking in the hot sun, I was building go karts and boats and other contraptions with discarded air cooled engines. My dad used to say I was born with 30 wt in my veins. Now that I'm on statins it might be down to a 20 wt.
You probably still have straight 30 wt in there, but now with a Knock'er Loose additive.

Quick Reply: Jailbar woody wagon