Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Random no start issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 05:40 PM
Steelheader87
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Random no start issue

I have had a random no start issue for a couple months now. It will literally start and run trouble free for weeks and then randomly not start. I thought it might be a heat issue, because it seemed to happen once I drove somewhere and tried to start again. Usually let it sit for awhile and it will start again. I have an Edge Insight for gauges and it gave me a p1280 code, so I naturally checked my ICP sensor and it was full of oil, so I replaced with OEM sensor. I thought that fixed my problem, but I still have a random no start and a p1280 code. Last night, had driven about an hour, let it sit in parking lot for 2.5 hours and then came back to a no start. Let it sit for 2.5 hours, tried to start it 10-12 times during that time and eventually started. Is this an IPR issue? What are your thoughts, thanks for the help.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:40 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts
First thing to check is the tin nut on the back of the IPR. It should be snug, but do not tighten much or the flimsy thing will strip out. Look around in the depths of the valley if you do not see it on the IPR.

How is the condition of the ICP sensor harness? No ratty wires and all the oil cleaned out with brake cleaner?

Could be the solenoid on the IPR is failing when hot. Next time you get a no start go back into the bar and get some ice or cold water. Chill the IPR with the ice or cold water, let cool for a few minutes and give it a go. Do not try this with cold beer or the Beer Gods will become angry.

The solenoid is not available separately, gotta buy the whole IPR.

If it is not related to heat the IPR may be grungy and sticking. Cleaning and a new set of O rings are the ticket there.

Any other clues to take out some of the randomness? Like at a certain location, etc.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:36 PM
Steelheader87
Senior User
Thanks for your reply, the wiring harness for ICP is new also. There is no location coincidence, completely random. The tin nut is present and tight. Any other thoughts, thanks again.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:10 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
How old is the CPS?

Old 08-24-2015, 08:39 PM
Steelheader87
Senior User
Not sure how old the CPS is, but I think that is my next step. There are no other related issues, no misses, rough idle or surges. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought a CPS had the other related issues?? It just simply won't start sometimes. Thanks

Old 08-25-2015, 07:58 AM
JT250
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Steelheader87
Not sure how old the CPS is, but I think that is my next step. There are no other related issues, no misses, rough idle or surges. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought a CPS had the other related issues?? It just simply won't start sometimes. Thanks
It doesn't always have to show other issues. I always keep a spare so of it doesn't turn out to be that, then u have a spare. When mine was the CPS it would randomly die but you never know.

My tin nut on the ipr had fallen off. The truck would lose rpm and die, but would always restart. Found it laying in the valley, put it back on and good to go.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:44 AM
Steelheader87
Senior User
I will change the CPS, but the difficulty is that I will not know immediately if that fixed the problem. Any other thoughts from anyone? Right now, I think I am going to change the CPS and IPR and see what happens. The IPR at idle was at 9.4, I read that is should be around 12. I am I wasting time and money or are these valid concerns to look at? Thanks again for the help.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:37 PM
Steelheader87
Senior User
Wanted to update, still having random no start issue. As stated previously, I have changed ICP and the wiring pigtail with OEM, changed the CPS with OEM from Clay and still having a random no start. The last time it occurred, I checked the oil level in HPOP and it seemed to be full, about a 1/4 from the top, so decided not to change IPR valve. Any other ideas or suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:52 PM
Dave in Maine
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pls take this with a grain of salt from a newbie, but I've had to fiddle with the (automatic) shifter to get started a few times. In those cases, lights etc were fine, but absolutely nothing when I turned the key.

Sometimes, from the mouths' of newbies....

Old 09-14-2015, 04:16 PM
LCA078
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So, not on my 2001, but I had the same random no-start issue on my 1995 PSD. Turns out the previous owner did a lousy job of putting in a new chip and it would jiggle loose every now and then. After replacing the CPS a few times and messing with all the other gadgets including the ICP, I had it towed to the local trusted shop who found the loose chip after a lot of troubleshooting. Never had an issue after it was re-installed correctly. So point is, it could be something with the brains of your truck (maybe a loose wire, ground, connector, etc.) instead of your engine.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:17 PM
Steelheader87
Senior User
Dave in Maine, I appreciate your reply, but it is not a shifter issue. In my experience if the bushings in the shifter are causing you issue, it will not even turn over. Mine turns over great, simply will not start. I think it may be the computer thinking it is low on oil, but again not sure. I am going to check the IDM connection and make sure it is all snug and secure. I was also told that oil that is overdue to be changed may cause a similar issue, I don't believe that to be true, but it needs to be done regardless. Another shop told me that the GPR might be the issue, not sure about that either since it has been 90 most of the summer here in beautiful dry as burnt toast Oregon. Please keep any suggestions coming, thanks.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:44 AM
JT250
Cargo Master
Dave in Maine, I appreciate your reply, but it is not a shifter issue. In my experience if the bushings in the shifter are causing you issue, it will not even turn over. Mine turns over great, simply will not start. I think it may be the computer thinking it is low on oil, but again not sure. I am going to check the IDM connection and make sure it is all snug and secure. I was also told that oil that is overdue to be changed may cause a similar issue, I don't believe that to be true, but it needs to be done regardless. Another shop told me that the GPR might be the issue, not sure about that either since it has been 90 most of the summer here in beautiful dry as burnt toast Oregon. Please keep any suggestions coming, thanks.
I agree. Forgive me if you have already said this, but have you been able to get a computer on it to see what the ICP is when cranking. Also keep those batteries charged and make sure you have at least 10.5v while cranking or it will not start. All that cranking can really drain the batteries. Have you tested the fuel pressure at the fuel port on the back of the fuel bowl. the one on the passenger side is after the filter.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:21 AM
Steelheader87
Senior User
JT250, thanks for your reply, I do not have the ability to check ICP while cranking, all I have is an Edge Insight for gauges and it will not read cranking values. I have not checked fuel pressure, when this first happened I assumed fuel pump, but it seems to be working. What leads you to believe it is a fuel pressure issue? How would I go about checking fuel pressure where you suggested? Hunting season is around the corner, need to get this fixed, thanks again.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:27 AM
JT250
Cargo Master
JT250, thanks for your reply, I do not have the ability to check ICP while cranking, all I have is an Edge Insight for gauges and it will not read cranking values. I have not checked fuel pressure, when this first happened I assumed fuel pump, but it seems to be working. What leads you to believe it is a fuel pressure issue? How would I go about checking fuel pressure where you suggested? Hunting season is around the corner, need to get this fixed, thanks again.
I don't necessarily think it is but rather something else to rule out. There are two fuel ports on the back of the fuel bowl. One is pre filter one is post filter. The one on the passenger side is post filter and that is what the injectors will see. Before I had my in cab gauge I used a harbor freight one that I could temporarily hook up u.der the hood. Then you can turn the key on or even start the truck. And see what the pressure is. I beleive the port is the same thread as the plug on the top of the HPOP res.

Maybe there is someone close that has AE that can help you out checking ICP?

Old 09-16-2015, 09:54 AM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is a pic of the port you want to tie into for the fuel psi gauge.

Quick Reply: Random no start issue