6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

PCM Relay? Truck won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 05:47 PM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
That is kind of interesting. I'll have to drop by the local dealer for a look.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:29 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Koolbreeze3646
Just a FYI on my 2016 F250 CC 4X4 that connector is not mounted on the parking brake bracket. It is above the bracket tucked between the bracket and side panel.
I don't use my PB all that often but now I may relocate mine just to be on the safe side.

Denny

Old 02-01-2016, 03:59 PM
don123
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
After reading this I removed my connector from parking brake bracket and used a few wire ties to secure it to be on the safe side. Why does mounting that connector to the parking brake bracket cause problems? maybe from the vibration when brake is released? Surprised there's not a TSB for this.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:18 PM
Bandguy
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Given the symptoms, it makes sense that we had the problem due to the shock of releasing the brake. I think that is everyone's working theory.

Coincidently (?) a person in my dealer's service department told me they are having a lot more wiring issues with Fords since they changed the way they secure the pins in the wiring harnesses.

The has been a report that Ford moved the connector off of the brake bracket for 2016.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:38 AM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
My 2016 is still connected to the bracket. It is up high and seems secure and free of vibration. This problem left my friends 6.7 dead on the road, however, his bad connector pin was in the dash somewhere. I believe Ford has a few deficient connectors in all SD's.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:49 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by rvpuller
I don't use my PB all that often but now I may relocate mine just to be on the safe side.

Denny
I was just under the dash relocating my air bag and aux fuel tank gauges so I looked at mine and it isn't connected to the parking brake mechanism on my 2013 Lariat SC and there are a lot more wires up there compared to the one in the photo.

Denny

Old 11-01-2016, 04:47 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Glad I found this. I had a 2015 F550 come through today that had a random no-start with the same symptoms. I quizzed the guy about parking brake usage, and UP requires the parking brake to be set when the crane is in use, and it acted up right when he popped the brake the last time. I wound up zip tying the connector tight and got it away from the parking brake bracket. We'll see how long this lasts.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:11 PM
Bandguy
Senior User
Knock-on-wood, I've had no issues since moving the connector. I also keep my foot on the pedal when releasing the parking break so it doesn't slam and cause excessive vibration.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:23 PM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandguy
Knock-on-wood, I've had no issues since moving the connector. I also keep my foot on the pedal when releasing the parking break so it doesn't slam and cause excessive vibration.
Ditto...because of this thread...I do the same now.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:00 PM
stankot
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 F250 same issue

Originally Posted by projectnitemare
It's the wiring harness connector right where the parking brake pedal is. I had the same problem a few weeks back while on vacation....the local dealer there was no help. I had all the same issues mentioned as well as a no start so the truck was towed in. Released the brake coming off the roll back and everything started working so the dealer politely to me to get lost. I drove it home and pulled the harness down and pulled the connector apart. No start and all the same lights. No broken pins that I can find. No issue since. I was hoping to recreate the issue for the local dealer at home but I can't get it to do it anymore since I put it back together. The harness connector is attached to the bracket for the parking brake. The shock from releasing the brake is obviously making a contact issue. The harness has a latch to prevent separation but it still must move to create a connection issue. I'd guess over time broken pins could be an issue. The bad part is that is looks to be the harness it for everything so if there is any issue the truck will be dead. Also from day one my air bag light would flash when the parking brake was released. Hasn't done it since. Hope it will help someone....it really sucks being stranded with a new vehicle that won't run. I'll place a solid bet if you have the issue and squeeze the plug together you truck will run.
Hey projectnitemare could you possibly give me your dealerships info to possibly pick their brains over this issue

Old 05-04-2018, 02:49 PM
Welderbak
New User
2015 6.2 won't start

Has anyone else had an issue with their truck not starting, or hard to start? Usually occurs when I let it set overnight, when I try to start it (regardless of outside temperature) it will crank a long while before starting. Sometimes it will not start on the first attempt and the horn will honk before it quits trying. I do have a factory auto start, but it doesn't seem to make a difference if I use it, or just start it with the key. Comments/suggestions?

Old 05-13-2018, 08:48 PM
Enriqueparker
New User
Same issue and resolved

I had the same issue described here with my flexfuel 2014 F250 super duty. I released the emergency break and the truck started. I wish I would have read this before buying a new Battery. Thank you!

Old 05-13-2018, 09:46 PM
Bandguy
Senior User
Awesome, this thread has saved me, too. FYI, I've gotten in the habit of putting my foot on the parking brake when releasing so it doesn't slam up.

Old 02-28-2020, 01:07 PM
Citgodan
New User
Thank you!!!!!!

Originally Posted by projectnitemare
It's the wiring harness connector right where the parking brake pedal is. I had the same problem a few weeks back while on vacation....the local dealer there was no help. I had all the same issues mentioned as well as a no start so the truck was towed in. Released the brake coming off the roll back and everything started working so the dealer politely to me to get lost. I drove it home and pulled the harness down and pulled the connector apart. No start and all the same lights. No broken pins that I can find. No issue since. I was hoping to recreate the issue for the local dealer at home but I can't get it to do it anymore since I put it back together. The harness connector is attached to the bracket for the parking brake. The shock from releasing the brake is obviously making a contact issue. The harness has a latch to prevent separation but it still must move to create a connection issue. I'd guess over time broken pins could be an issue. The bad part is that is looks to be the harness it for everything so if there is any issue the truck will be dead. Also from day one my air bag light would flash when the parking brake was released. Hasn't done it since. Hope it will help someone....it really sucks being stranded with a new vehicle that won't run. I'll place a solid bet if you have the issue and squeeze the plug together you truck will run.
2x while I was driving my truck this week, I experienced all of the warnings and light . Did not stop my truck, but I pulled off to turn it off and back on. Today I was at my campsite and going to run an errand- would not start with all the warnings and light . Found this article. I just Moved the wiring harness that was mentioned. Set the parking brake and released it. It fired right up!!! Thanks for the help.

Old 02-28-2020, 04:28 PM
Bandguy
Senior User
It is great to see this thread is still helping folks. PN really did a service when he found the problem, resolution and posted for us all. You might want to keep the parking brake from slamming when you release it. I’ve gotten into the habit of guiding it up myself.

Quick Reply: PCM Relay? Truck won't start