6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Help with tires!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 08:31 PM
turbotantrums
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with tires!!

I've got a 2006 F350 SRW 4X4....I live in Vermont, frequently tow a small car trailer, and also tow a 11K 5th wheel camper. I am looking for a tire that will be alright in the winter, not a full snow tire, but will also hold up to a lot of summer driving. I have the Nitto terra Grapplers now and I wasn't happy with them. They wore out quickly in my opinion with regular rotations. I am looking at the Michelin LTX A/T2 or the BFG A/T KO2.... Anyone have suggestions? Is there anything better or anything to stay away from? Thanks!

Old 08-09-2015, 08:36 PM
Iaff113
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help with tires!!

I had bfg AT and now how cooper AT3s and couldn't be happier with them I'm towing 8k pull behind

Old 08-09-2015, 08:44 PM
waumpuscat
Senior User
Ive heard good things on those coopers and think I may give them a try when I replace mine

Old 08-09-2015, 09:17 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Cooper Discoverer AT3 and Toyo Open Country AT2 both seem to have strong followings for A/T type tires. I'm not hot on BFGs, but the redesign of the KO (the new KO2) looks interesting. Michelin LTX AT2 and MS2 I've seen be very great and very awful; under an F150 they lasted great, under an SD they wore fast.

I currently have set of Rugged Trails and I'm remembering why I dumped the OEM set, but eh they're cheap to burn on in Texas in the summer, tires don't last when the pavement is 130*f+ six months out of the year. Nitto Trail Graplers lasted longed than the Rugged Trails, a true M/T that was significantly better than the A/T-pavement hybrid garbage. But the MTs were NOT great in the snow in their later miles once they wore down, so the ATs obviously win there.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:51 PM
xaviar
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Cooper Discoverer AT3 and Toyo Open Country AT2 both seem to have strong followings for A/T type tires. I'm not hot on BFGs, but the redesign of the KO (the new KO2) looks interesting. Michelin LTX AT2 and MS2 I've seen be very great and very awful; under an F150 they lasted great, under an SD they wore fast.
well, I have the LTX AT2'S and couldn't be happier. Currently I have about 53K on them and will get the 70K or more they advertise. Very quiet, handles well and been good for me. I guess it's hit or miss on these. For me it was a hit. I'll be putting another set on when these ware out.

Like you. BFG's didn't last one year on my truck. Wore out in one year. There's many at work with the AT3's. Some like them some don't. Fellow co worker has a set and wore them out at 7k. Many complain about it holding rocks too much. As I've observed on the parking lot of those who has the AT3. Most seem to hold rocks more.

My .02 cents anyway.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:52 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
I really like my BFG Rugged Terrains. Great in snow and ice, relatively quiet and long lasting. 45k+ miles and still going.

Josh

Old 08-10-2015, 05:20 AM
lostru
Mountain Pass
I have the 20 inch wheels and I gave the Firestone Destination AT a try over a year ago and still have them. So far they have been a good performer in snow and ice. They came with a 50,000 mile mileage warranty. Hard to find a warranty on 20's. They will make it and then some. Heaviest loads I pull are around the 8000 lb mark.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:46 AM
gt4660
Senior User
I have the cooper at3's now and at 38k miles they are worn out. I will not buy them again. I have had them rotated and balanced every 5k miles and it did not help the mileage I got out of them. I am leaning towards the Michelin M/S2.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:20 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
I just put Michelin LTX M/S2 on mine and I'm happy with them. Can't help with the snow questions but they do fine with the slimy mud we have here after 10" of rain. The best part is they are quiet, after listening the roar of Bridgstone Duelers for 30k miles it real pleasure driving now.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:35 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've been running Toyo Open Country tires and really like them. The new R/T is rated at 45k with a warranty. I run the M/t and get great mileage with regular rotations. They are the only company that gives you 30 days no questions asked... refund. The R/t looks pretty nice as well.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:11 PM
turbotantrums
New User
Originally Posted by xaviar
well, I have the LTX AT2'S and couldn't be happier. Currently I have about 53K on them and will get the 70K or more they advertise. Very quiet, handles well and been good for me. I guess it's hit or miss on these. For me it was a hit. I'll be putting another set on when these ware out.

Like you. BFG's didn't last one year on my truck. Wore out in one year. There's many at work with the AT3's. Some like them some don't. Fellow co worker has a set and wore them out at 7k. Many complain about it holding rocks too much. As I've observed on the parking lot of those who has the AT3. Most seem to hold rocks more.

My .02 cents anyway.
Have you done much towing with these Michelins on? I think I am leaning towards these, but just wondering how they hold up to some towing.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:28 PM
xaviar
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by turbotantrums
Have you done much towing with these Michelins on? I think I am leaning towards these, but just wondering how they hold up to some towing.
Yes. I have a 28ft TT at about 8K loaded. We camp all spring, summer, fal. I average about 23 to 25k miles a year. Rotate about every 7K miles. I've been really happy with them. I keep my air pressure at 70 on the fronts and 75 on the rear.

If you buy any set Check to make sure they are from the same production run as possible.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:50 PM
Will Bite
Elder User
Toyo AT2s are my choice. Excellent tire with great wear. 40k on mine and they still look good.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:02 PM
dredmond
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by turbotantrums
Originally Posted by xaviar

My .02 cents anyway.
I am on my second set of Michelin LTX AT2's and will buy a third set. Regularly tow a 10,000# tag, work fine in the snow when I lived in Pittsburgh & St Louis.

Original BFG's got 38K, first set of Michelins got 72K, got 72K on the second set with another 8-10 to go. Never rebalanced the second set since new.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:23 PM
Euroman
Senior User
Received 292 Likes on 105 Posts
Cooper AT3 last but were no good in snow for me, unless you like power-slides (I do, wife doesn't).

Toyo open country are really good in snow and seem to last OK, 20k on mine and lots to go

Quick Reply: Help with tires!!