6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Looking for IPR users

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 08:58 AM
johnsonjf
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking for IPR users

Good Morning,

I am considering installing the IPR external oil cooler and coolant filter system on my 04 Excursion with a 6.0. I am currently running a Sinister Coolant filter but I understand the filter is in line after the cooler and the IPR filter is before the cooler. My coolant temps at 1950rpm is around 190-195 and my oil temps are 205-210, outside air temp is around 95 and this is straight and level for about 30 min. When towing or making a long uphill grade the oil temps rise but then normally level out around 220 and remain about 25 degrees apart from coolant, but this again is only when towing.

I will be flushing the cooling system then removing the radiator and having it cleaned by a radiator shop a week before I install the IPR cooler. I know this will not remove all of the debris but it will help remove a lot of it. Hopefully the IPR coolant filter will catch most of what the cleaning didn't.

My questions are below:

Do I need to remove the factory cooler or will it just remain but be disabled?

I am planning to use the standard flow cooler not the high flow, any thoughts?

What modifications will I need to make to existing parts to make this fit correctly?

What temp ranges were you seeing before the install of this cooler compared to what you are seeing now?

Will I need to make any modifications to allow outside air better access to the cooler?

Does temp from the engine compartment and radiator affect the cooling ability of this modification?

When I begin the process and install I will get pictures and as much detail as I can remember and post it all in a thread here.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 07-07-2015, 09:26 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looking for IPR users

I do know the original cooler will be removed. It is replaced by that fancy plate. I'm a big fan of IPR stuff though all I have is the iPR gen II egr delete.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:18 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
The only downside is the cost!

Old 07-07-2015, 11:19 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Restlesswildman
The only downside is the cost!
the cost with the same benefits, BPD OEM oil Cooler with a BPD EGR Cooler , run the ELC coolant and don't look back. Just make sure the system is VC-9 chem flushed, with a regular flush, then Install the system. Add the EZ 108 block drain plugs it will make life a lot easer.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:21 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
I have the IPR and am happy with it, the system is well built and designed. Yes, the stock cooler has to come out. The factory filter cap is replaced with IPR's cap as is the tube inside the filter. You will use a NAPA filter in place of the Ford's. The oil lines connect to the filter cap, to me this is the only down side because you have to tale the lines loose to remove the cap when doing an oil change. I opted for the stainless steel lines, they run to the cooler which mounts beside the battery on the passenger side.

The coolant flow is the other piece, you install the coolant manifold on the plate on the EGR cooler, the coolant flow goes to the IPR high flow coolant filter mounted on the passenger fender and then to the oil cooler, the other line returns to the coolant manifold. Routing the lines is something to take your time on. Do not relocate the oil temp sensor.

I haven't had a temp problem with the cooler when towing, normal driving is a 7-9 spread and towing around 13-15.

Vince at IPR is great to work with, the install instructions are vague and he will answer questions. I also used his high flow EGR cooler, everything he makes is top notch.