6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Flusing Oil Cooler?? Possible??

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:20 PM
Heckler
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Flusing Oil Cooler?? Possible??

Ok first let me say that I have no idea what Im talking about but would it be possible to disconnect the coolant lines from the oil cooler (can it be done without major disassembly?) and attach some tubing to the coolant inlet and outlet to an auxiliary pump (maybe a drill pump) to a filter and resivoir with a cleaning agent in it like fleetguard restore and run it for several hours until it breaks down the silicate gel?

Just a thought...

It would be interesting for someone that has a dead cooler that has been opened like the one on the dieselsite to get some of the gel that is found inside the cooler and test to see what is effective to actually break down the gel.

Im just thinking that there has to something out there that can break it down without tearing down half your motor to replace it.. again just a thought.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:32 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
The manufacturer says flushing "isn't possible".

Old 09-16-2010, 07:10 AM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
It cannot be flushed installed. When I put my studs in I removed the oil filter/cooler assemble. I took a hose and connected it to the coolant outlet connection that goes to the EGR cooler and backflushed it. There was plenty of flow coming out of the oil cooler coolant inlet. But about 6 months later I replaced the HX.

If you are not going to replace the cooler coolant HX, you may want to get some radiator cleaner, fill the oil cooler coolant side with it, let it set per the directions and then throughly flush.

DSMMH

Old 09-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Heckler
Tuned
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
The manufacturer says flushing "isn't possible".
I understand that, but the manufacturer also says "use only Ford Gold coolant" which I and many others believe is whats causing the coolers to clog.

If it cant be done it cant be done.. I was just thinking aloud.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Heckler
Tuned
Thanks, thats what I was wondering, if it could be done installed (inlet and outlet accessable), I guess if it was that easy someone would have tried that already.

Im just going to do my flush with Fleetguard Restore and VC-9, switch to ELC and hope for the best

Originally Posted by DSMMH
It cannot be flushed installed. When I put my studs in I removed the oil filter/cooler assemble. I took a hose and connected it to the coolant outlet connection that goes to the EGR cooler and backflushed it. There was plenty of flow coming out of the oil cooler coolant inlet. But about 6 months later I replaced the HX.

If you are not going to replace the cooler coolant HX, you may want to get some radiator cleaner, fill the oil cooler coolant side with it, let it set per the directions and then throughly flush.

DSMMH