1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

ABS light

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 05:44 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ABS light

My ABS light has been on for a while now, and my cruise quit working about the same time the light came on, today I decided to dig into it and see what was causing the light to stay on. The brake light bulb has been burnt out for while too, so I didn't know if both were on or just the ABS light was on. Fixed the brake light bulb first, and it wasn't staying on, just the ABS light was. I checked the fuse for the ABS, it and the cruise are on the same fuse by the way, and it was fine. Next I figured I would bleed the back brakes cause I had been wanting to do that too. When I took the bleeder plug completely out of the pass side rear to clean it out, no fluid came out. Hadn't started bleeding yet, just took the bleeder out. So, I thought well, maybe the RABS unit on the frame rail is bad. I changed it with one from a parts truck, bled the rear brakes, and the ABS light was still on. Next, I changed the ABS module behind the glove box with one from a parts truck, and that was it. The ABS light went off, and the cruise is working again. Since I had never changed the ABS module before, I learned something interesting today when I changed mine......on the back of the modules, there is a sticker that says "SINGLE REAR WHEEL ONLY", or "DUAL REAR WHEEL ONLY". I guess maybe the duallys having two extra wheels and 3 1/2" brake shoes vs the single wheel 3" brake shoes, it dumps the pressure to the rear wheel a little differently or something. Just one of those things that makes you go Hmmmmm.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:02 PM
Vertrees
Senior User
An interesting thought. I know that tractor apply harder in the rear. It offers better stopping power as the weight is disbursed heavy over the rear axles, and holds better control as well when braking.

Perhaps the DRW try to apply that concept as well.

One of the most overlooked functions of a vehicle is how it stops. I have wondered a few questions myself as to the ABS on our trucks. I deal with tractors and their systems are quite a bit different from what I can tell.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:13 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Personally, I think the Rear ABS on these trucks are not that good of a system. I've thought about just plumbing around the RABS unit down on the frame rail and be done with it. I tow goose necks and 5th wheels, and I want more braking on my rear wheels when towing heavy. I don't like the thought of the ABS taking away my braking power to the rear wheels.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:22 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Do you feel Bill if you had plumbed around it everything including the cruise would work OK?

Old 07-05-2015, 03:30 AM
Vertrees
Senior User
I wonder how it would take the rear not responding. That and the metering/distribution module would have to be altered I would think.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:35 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Vertrees
That and the metering/distribution module would have to be altered I would think.
That's the very thing that's being considered to bypass.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:14 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Do you feel Bill if you had plumbed around it everything including the cruise would work OK?
The cruise would still work fine.

Originally Posted by Vertrees
I wonder how it would take the rear not responding. That and the metering/distribution module would have to be altered I would think.
The rear would still respond. Just may respond too well. That's the reason I have never done it.

Originally Posted by madpogue
That's the very thing that's being considered to bypass.
Exactly. That's why I haven't done it. I don't want to do it, and then have the rear brakes lock up every time I touch the pedal.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:39 AM
Vertrees
Senior User
I dont know because I can not look and see, but theoretically you could swap the front lines for the rear. That would apply the rear before the front, but not so much that it would cause the rear to lock up under normal braking.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:59 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
My biggest concern was to get that stupid light to go out. For now I will just keep the rear brakes adjusted up and drive it. I have a Dana 80 axle with disc brakes that I plan on swapping in the truck when I can, so I'm not gonna really worry about doing anything to it now.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:23 AM
Vertrees
Senior User
I you do ever plan to revisit the idea I would be most interested in seeing how it goes.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:52 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
I will let you know if I do.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:07 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
This info is really good to know! For those of us that have duallies, it really helps. Tried to rep you, but appearently I love you too much already

Old 07-05-2015, 11:14 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BBslider001
This info is really good to know! For those of us that have duallies, it really helps. Tried to rep you, but appearently I love you too much already
Well, thanks for trying anyway LOL!

Old 07-05-2015, 04:52 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
Originally Posted by ReBilld
Personally, I think the Rear ABS on these trucks are not that good of a system. I've thought about just plumbing around the RABS unit down on the frame rail and be done with it. I tow goose necks and 5th wheels, and I want more braking on my rear wheels when towing heavy. I don't like the thought of the ABS taking away my braking power to the rear wheels.
that is why the abs is bypassed on everything i own except for the 02 diesel. ...for now.
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
no, the cruise will not work unless the module is good.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:53 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
not to worry, i got him for ya.

Quick Reply: ABS light