Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lund Moonvisor

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 07:04 PM
Big_Red_Brute
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lund Moonvisor

I bought a used Lund Moonvisor on Ebay recently. I also purchased a set of clear lenses and some LED bulbs for it as well. I got the visor yesterday and I immediatly removed the amber lenses and much to my suprise, the visor was painted behind them. (I guess I figured there would be some sort of reflector back there, but nope) I installed the clear lenses and from a distance they just sort of blend in with everything painted the same.

So here's my question. I'm going to have the visor repainted before I put it on my truck. Should I paint the area where the lights are white, silver or something? I've tried to Google pics of trucks with visors that have the clear lights, but I can't really tell anything because the pics are to far away. I want the lights to kind of stand out, but I don't want them to stick out like a soar thumb either.

Anyone have any thoughts, opinions, or experience with the matter? If you have a visor with the clear lenses installed, post a close up pic.

Thanks!

Old 06-28-2015, 07:59 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I always taped off behind the lens and left it white gellcoat to make for brighter lights

Old 06-28-2015, 08:11 PM
Big_Red_Brute
Tuned
Those were my thoughts too. It should have been left white. I also thought about installing a piece of white reflective tape (like you see on tractor-trailers) in there to help reflect the light even more.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:20 PM
FordCrew350
New User
I actually had the same visor on my '00 250, with amber lenses. The visor was painted body color and the area behind the lens was unpainted (white). It would definitely help to offer greater reflective quality if the area around the bulb was either silver or white. I would either scuff the paint off and paint it or use a high quality tape and trim accordingly to suit the lenses. It will not only set them off, but brighten them depending on what color is there now. I loved the visor. The only downside was the fact that the channels in the top collected water which would slosh onto the windshield when I would stop. Which also lead to rust through at the mounting points. The PO failed to use any rubber washers or silicone for installation. I was going to get one for my new truck, but I think I am going to do a custom oversize off-road style roofrack instead. Good luck.

A shot of my former rolling pile with the Lund visor:

Old 06-28-2015, 09:29 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Big_Red_Brute
I immediatly removed the amber lenses and much to my suprise, the visor was painted behind them. (I guess I figured there would be some sort of reflector back there, but nope)
because the lights are for appearance/dress up,not site.you don't want bright lights shining down and reflecting off the hood when driving at night.the lights will be seen.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:47 AM
krooser
Elder User
Those lights also reflect off the windshield.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:16 AM
5Fingerride
Junior User
Originally Posted by FordCrew350
I actually had the same visor on my '00 250,
Did having the visor affect your fuel mileage noticeably?

Old 06-29-2015, 09:27 AM
FordCrew350
New User
Well, I honestly wouldn't know. I never really kept track of mileage, it wasnt that great to begin with (maybe 13ish) and I didn't much care. That truck was 4x with the 7.3 PSD, I used it a lot for hauling a 6 yard dump trailer, and it did that very well. I pulled 8-14k with it and it didn't miss a beat. Sadly the frame and body rusted to the point that it was not worth keeping around. I replaced it with a '93 F350 with the 460. This far it seems to be a decent replacement, but I do miss the power of the 7.3. And it's kind of nice not having to plan around finding a gas station that has a diesel pump.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:10 PM
Big_Red_Brute
Tuned
Originally Posted by FordCrew350
I actually had the same visor on my '00 250, with amber lenses. The visor was painted body color and the area behind the lens was unpainted (white). It would definitely help to offer greater reflective quality if the area around the bulb was either silver or white. I would either scuff the paint off and paint it or use a high quality tape and trim accordingly to suit the lenses. It will not only set them off, but brighten them depending on what color is there now. I loved the visor. The only downside was the fact that the channels in the top collected water which would slosh onto the windshield when I would stop. Which also lead to rust through at the mounting points. The PO failed to use any rubber washers or silicone for installation. I was going to get one for my new truck, but I think I am going to do a custom oversize off-road style roofrack instead. Good luck.
I think I'm going to talk to my body/paint guy to see which way he recommends, whether I should go white or silver behind them. I already have clear corner lenses and clear taillights so I'd like for these to match them. If I go white I'm definately going to install a piece of white reflector tape behind the bulbs to make them a little brighter. Thanks!