6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Good topic for the Tech Folder?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 02:23 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
Good topic for the Tech Folder?

No criticism of this site intended, but from my brief search of the Internet (and it should only have to be brief) there is a woeful amount of information/YouTubes on our truck's power steering/power brakes system. I gotta think that there are a lot more diesel newbies here, like myself, who have been surprised to learn that these systems are mechanically different than gas engines and that they both share the PS pump, so that it is difficult to diagnose failures.

It's very likely that I'm just a dunce and haven't stumbled across all the readily available info; in which case, maybe we just need to post links in our tech folder to make it easier for idiots. Or, some of our experts, in their spare time could write something up.

However, the market usually decides these issues, so I imagine everyone has just figured it's easier to buy a new pump, and if that doesn't fix it, buy a booster, and that prolly solves 90% of the issues.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:41 PM
pjerrn
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there is information on Bismics tech sheet concerning thee PSP. This is the exert i have. hope it helps.

Power Steering_Steering Box INDEX

Power Steering Problems
dieselgarage
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...mp-pulley.html
Power Steering/Hydaboost - Question??? - Ford Truck Fanatics
TSB 07-11-10

Steering Box
2005 Steering Box - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wander Continues / Unusual Steering Box Issue - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Ford's procedure is to loosen the jamb nut, (nut and set screw combination on top of the box) turn in the set screw till snug (not tight) then back off 1/16th of a turn, and tighten the jamb nut. If you get it too tight it will make the steering difficult.
I could just barely get a wrench on the nut from underneath the truck, there is a big radiator hose in the way on my '05, and I had very little control over my adjustments I was making from there. The box is VERY accessible if you remove the fender liner. The extra 15 minutes to take it off and put it back on was well worth it. The adjustment is right out in the open this way. Very easy- total 45 minutes this time, would take me 20 if I did it again
Just a note, this is an 05 so it has front coils, the older trucks with leaf springs may be easier to adjust from the bottom
"Someone said they could touch the adjuster from the bottom, I couldn't even get my hand close. I was able to just barely get on it with a flexible gearwrench.
"
According to Cartmanea, the above procedure above will make it too tight on a worn box!
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ightening.html
I would NOT set up a worn box this tight. If its 1/16 loose in the middle, it will jam when you turn it a ways. I had read that as well before I tightened mine, but every other method was 1/2 turn minimum, so I played it safe. Right now I have about 5/6 full turns of slack (down from almost 2 full turns) and I notice just a little play, maybe 1" of steering wheel travel back and forth. Next time I'm down there I'll tighten it up to probably 1/2 full turns slack and see how it feels.

Steering box adjustments:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ightening.html
Hold the allen screw while you loosen the lock nut and then turn the screw clockwise to increase preload. Try it in no more than 1/4 turn increments as you can tighten it too much and ruin the box. You can either attack it from the top (and remove battery, air inlet and filter, CAC tube) or through the wheel well (remove fender liner).
Before deciding it is your steering box, make sure wheel bearings, steering linkage parts, and ball joints do not have excessive play and then verify that "toe-in" is within spec. Incorrect toe-in will cause an otherwise sound vehicle to have a tendency to "follow" irregularities in the road surface whereas preloading the steering box on such a vehicle would only promote wear and not stop the wandering.

Flush the Power Steering fluid:
Draining or FLushing Power Steering FLuid.... HOW ? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1. Use a turkey baster to suck out as much fluid as you can and then refill with new fluid. Repeat this 4 or 5 times (driving for 20-30 minutes in between each drain and fill cycle).
or
2. Remove the top line from the power steering cooler. Let it drain. Place a line on the cooler end and direct it to a container. Start the engine and add fluid to the reservoir. Pump the brake pedal and then add more fluid. Do this 2 or 3 times. You will have all clean fluid.
POWERSTEERING FLUSH - with pictures (and picture of power steering filter installation): POWERSTEERING FLUSH - with pictures (and picture of power steering filter installation):
Ford Super Duty Power Steering Flush | Superdutypsd.com Ford Super Duty Power Steering Flush | Superdutypsd.com
Ford Super Duty Power Steering Filter | Superdutypsd.com

REMOVE THE POWER STEERING PUMP:
"The 2005 MY's and up have 3 bolts (and one is not missing). If you have a 2004 MY and down, it will have 4 bolts if one is missing someone updated it.
The pump can be pulled with or without pulling the fan. remove belt from pully remove line's from pump, remove bolts.
It can be done both ways, pulling the fan is ""less of a fight"" usually."