Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Heidt's, just ordered

Old 07-29-2003, 02:50 PM
QuickerPickerUpper
Freshman User
QuickerPickerUpper is starting off with a positive reputation.
Heidt's, just ordered

I finally did it, I ordered a Heidt's for my 56. I have looked at other front ends for years and I kept returning to the Heidt's. It's not quite as beefy as what I would like, but I bet it will ride better than the leaf spring front end. At any rate, it's on its way and I am excited. I've had control arms and a three turn rack and pinion from a mustang for years, also. Any input good or bad is always appreciated.

Old 07-29-2003, 03:47 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Earl has a good reputation on FTE.Earl has a good reputation on FTE.Earl has a good reputation on FTE.
Heidt's, just ordered

Seems as though the general trend in discussions about IFS has been that a proper installation is of higher importance than the exact brand - provided you don't get Billy-Bobs Recycled Hanger Wire IFS.

On the other hand, I'm worried that you'll be disappointed with the IFS ride if you've ever driven a nicely restored stock front end.

Old 07-29-2003, 05:32 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
mr4speedford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Heidt's, just ordered

Congrats! They make some very nice front ends. As ususal I can't help much on the install. So George, when is Earl getting his Mustang II front end? -4speed

Old 07-29-2003, 09:00 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.
Heidt's, just ordered

Well, I bought a Fatman MII cross member.(beefiest one available) and am pleased with the ease of installation and instructions.

Also, if you have not done so, you might want to do a search on Heidts or MII crossmembers in general on this site. There are pages and pages of valuable info and opinions and advice. (FYI, there's even some discussion of metal fatigue/failure of the Heidts kits. You might even find the link to the website showing the pictures.)

Old 07-30-2003, 07:05 AM
phat55
New User
phat55 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Heidt's, just ordered

Actually, the most recent failures have been with the fatmans kits.

http://hotrodders.com/forums/

Old 07-30-2003, 08:09 AM
ddurant
Senior User
ddurant is starting off with a positive reputation.
Heidt's, just ordered

oh no the dark side strikes again

Old 07-30-2003, 09:09 AM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
DS02F250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Heidt's, just ordered

Putting an IFS in my '59 was the best money I've spent on my truck yet. You'll love it! Heidt's is equally as good as the others out there, so enjoy the ride...

Daryl

PS- don't be discouraged by the extraneous expenses you'll likely incur during the installation as a result of the new IFS, it's all worth it in the end.

Old 07-30-2003, 01:19 PM
QuickerPickerUpper
Freshman User
QuickerPickerUpper is starting off with a positive reputation.
Heidt's, just ordered

OK, you got me thinking. I did a search and somehow I've missed all this discussion. What I can extract from all that I have read is, the stock struts are the better way to go, on the MII's. I actually want this truck to cruise at 80 mhp with no worry of failures of any kind, especially a front end failure. Also the tie rod pivot point is critical and it ticks me off that I can't get extentions for a stock Rack. Heidt's only has extentions for their Racks. Heidt's said I need 1 3/4", I can only find 2". Does that 1/4" matter or am I being to critical. I don't want bump steer at
80 mph. Thanks for the input.

Old 07-30-2003, 06:18 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Earl has a good reputation on FTE.Earl has a good reputation on FTE.Earl has a good reputation on FTE.
Heidt's, just ordered

Don't have an answer about the extensions, but trust us - we don't want you to have bump steer at 80 MPH either!

Old 07-30-2003, 07:39 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.
Heidt's, just ordered

Originally posted by phat55
Actually, the most recent failures have been with the fatmans kits.

http://hotrodders.com/forums/

I did a search on Fatman MII there and only found one issue involving a lower control arm bolt that broke. The head sheared off. The failure was not in the Fatman crossmember.

The Heidts failure I was referring to involved that actual crossmember pieces that hold the lower control arm bolt to the frame. The pictures I saw made me glad that I went with Fatman.

But, I don't want to get this thread off onto another tangent, so I'll hush up now.