1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Heidt's Mustang II in a 63 Unibody

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 12:02 AM
rebman
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heidt's Mustang II in a 63 Unibody

Hey all, just wanted some of your sage advice...

I'm doing a frame-off of a 63 unibody and I'm trying to decide on a front suspension. I read the tech article and I think I've decided on using a Heidt's Mustang II IFS...

I'm rebuilding the 292 y-block and I'm taking the heads to Mummert to get them ported, so I'm looking to upgrade the HP of the 292....I'm going to have a better engine, but not a bigger engine....

It's an F250, but I'm retiring her from service so I'm looking to lower and rake her a bit (boy she stands high right now!)....it will basically end up a show truck and I'm not going to use it as a "truck" anymore....

Does the Heidt's make sense for my application? If so, do you recommend any of the "upgrades" for my application?

Thanks!

Old 07-22-2007, 07:51 AM
ddavidv
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd run this by Garbz who frequents this site and who works in a street rod fab shop, but most of what I've heard about the M II suspension is it is inadequate for a truck. Fine for a street rod that weighs less than a Mustang II, but not for something heavier.
Additionally, the M II suspension doesn't really have spectacular geometry. It's popularity is mostly because it was cheap and readily available back in the day and easy to adapt. These are not qualities I'd put first when building something as heavy as a pickup.
The Ford Aerostar is a popular conversion (r&p steering and disc brakes also) and is rated for more weight. I've also seen Dodge Diplomat and Dakota front clips swapped also.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:33 PM
rebman
Junior User
Since I wrote that message I did some reading and there seems to be a lot of debate as to whether the aftermarket kits are appropriate for any application. Some people think they are, some don't...my dad has had an aftermarker MII in his '54 Ford for three years with no problems. Honestly, I don't know much about front ends, so I"m definitely not going to do this myself. We have a mechanic that we trust, but I don't know his specific expertise on IFS.

Hopefully, garbz sees the thread and responds....

Old 07-22-2007, 02:36 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
My opinion, If it's going to be a trailer queen then go for it the MII will allow you to bag it, give you that in the weeds look your looking for. I would still do more research before doing so. I have a Volare on my 64 and I have the right stance or at least the one I was going for. It is my daily driver so I needed strength. While I can't bag mine I can adjust it, I still have about an inch left in lowering to go but I sit good now. Do your homework first It'll save $$$$ in the long run.

No matter what you do, you should want to drive it more than just off and on a trailer. show her off and be safe.
Good luck.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:27 PM
rebman
Junior User
Originally Posted by gangstakr
My opinion, If it's going to be a trailer queen then go for it the MII will allow you to bag it, give you that in the weeds look your looking for. I would still do more research before doing so. I have a Volare on my 64 and I have the right stance or at least the one I was going for. It is my daily driver so I needed strength. While I can't bag mine I can adjust it, I still have about an inch left in lowering to go but I sit good now. Do your homework first It'll save $$$$ in the long run.

No matter what you do, you should want to drive it more than just off and on a trailer. show her off and be safe.
Good luck.
Thanks for the reply....

I guess I used the wrong choice of words...I didn't mean show car as in trailer queen...I just meant taking it to the local car shows and using it now and then to go to work....

I've just found some information on the Dakota kit from Industrial Chassis.

Man, there are about 15 choices out there and not being a welder or a mechanic has made this really confusing....

Old 07-22-2007, 05:11 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Now that your , your research will pay off. Not being a welder, fabricator or mechanic, your choices now become money issues, unless money is no issue. Plan what you want, locate mechanic/fabricator.
Factor in cost for all 15 choices (or narrow it down to the ones you can afford) availibility of parts time etc. etc. Then when your totally confused sit down have a beer then wait for Garbz to respond to this thread. He will shed some light on what to look for. at least you'll be better prepared when handing over your hard earned money to a mechanic.
Good luck

Old 07-23-2007, 04:18 AM
garbz2
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've just found some information on the Dakota kit from Industrial Chassis.

Well if you get this crossmember i will have welded it together on our jigs.......

Our Dakota crossmembers allow the truck to be used as a truck. It has been engineered to handle the weight trannsfer inherent in a truck and the wheel base is still the stock dodge engineering so no suprises with bump steer due to changing the center lines of the spindle. It will also use all stock parts readily avalible at autozone. It also uses the same alignment principals as a stock dodge truck so any alingnment shop can do the job not like MIIs.

We no longer offer the hub to hub kit shown on the website, having that updated in the next few weeks.

We also make a MII set up but do not recommend it for trucks later than 37 or in cars later than 48. Things get a little too wide after that for the engineering that was built into the MII by ford originally.

If all you want to do is drop the truck and some driving a leaf spring change along with a drop axle will do the trick. (we also drop the 61 to 64 stock axle)

If you want it to handle and scream around corners like a vette well the a good IFs and rear suspension package is in order. I can tell you the IC one will carve around curves as fast as you can ever want to go....The Durango curve at 140+ in a 63 uni test mule....

It sounds like you are willing to have a shop do the work so it really comes down to what you want the truck to do. And decide from there.

I have not figgured out ot to attach a pic ot the post but have put in my album a shot of a completed wild 63 uni frame done for a customer that is bagged and will lay frame.( could not get the albums to cooperate so i will try to upload one at work.)

Garbz

Last edited by garbz2; 07-23-2007 at 04:25 AM.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:09 AM
cobraguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So garbz do you work for IC or just fab parts for them. Also I gotta see this uni test mule that turns. Can the Industrial Chassis set up be bagged. Rich

Old 07-23-2007, 11:50 AM
garbz2
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rich

I moved here from PA to Phoenix to take the job in the IC shop. Working here on everything from the Roach Rod, cab over chebbys, 39 oldsmobiles and everything in between.

Just finished a nasty 51 F1 pro street truck with a 700 horse ford mill.....

I do the gamut of things from exhaust to wiring. And weld up the Dakota Kit orders that come in.

Garbz

Old 07-24-2007, 01:16 PM
rebman
Junior User
>>>If all you want to do is drop the truck and some driving a leaf spring change along with a drop axle will do the trick. (we also drop the 61 to 64 stock axle)

If you want it to handle and scream around corners like a vette well the a good IFs and rear suspension package is in order.<<<<

Thanks for the info, garbz....

I guess the question is just whether the IFS is necessary. I'm not going to be going 140 mph around a curve in this thing...I just want a lowered ride that drives nice and smooth and doesn't fall apart when I step on the brakes, considering this is one big *** truck....something tells me it's a risk to put an MII under it....

I've been talking with Steve....so hopefully between all of us I can come up with a plan.