Frankenstein build starting question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 09:56 AM
Koffer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frankenstein build starting question

Hello all
I pick up one of those 2012 ford transit gliders kits that came from the company azure dynamics bankruptcy auction . I also got a totaled 2013 with 1100 miles on it . The donor ran and drove when I pulled it in to the garage
I installed the engine, trans, PCM and other little bits in ,just need to weld the fuel tank floor brackets . Everything works electric wise truck seems to see the key fob ,fuel pump runs when the key is cycled but it will not crank , the shifter seems to know where it's at since the reverse camara works . All the dash lights/ waning lights do as they should when the key is turned to on , but when turned to start no cranking .
I trouble shot the starter relay and I'm getting 12v pos to the tigger when the key is turned but no ground signal from the PCM .
The one thing I've done is used all the stuff from the glider kit like the GEM module (different options the the donor )dash cluster but the PCM from the donor . I'm wondering What might need to have the vin # changed as their maybe a issue with the components may have different vin # tags with them to get them to talk together ?
I stopped into my local ford dealer and asked but they weren't sure and want to " bring it in" so they can "poke at it with a stick" on my dime .
Any help on where to look toward finding the issue so if I do need to take it in for a " flashing" and tell them what I need and I don't have to pay $$$$$ for them to fool around .
If anyone knows any ideas or where to turn to that might be better here , let me know
Thanks Todd

Old 06-04-2015, 09:11 AM
operating engineer
New User
'12 Transit Connect glider

Originally Posted by Koffer
Hello all
I pick up one of those 2012 ford transit gliders kits that came from the company azure dynamics bankruptcy auction . I also got a totaled 2013 with 1100 miles on it . The donor ran and drove when I pulled it in to the garage
I installed the engine, trans, PCM and other little bits in ,just need to weld the fuel tank floor brackets . Everything works electric wise truck seems to see the key fob ,fuel pump runs when the key is cycled but it will not crank , the shifter seems to know where it's at since the reverse camara works . All the dash lights/ waning lights do as they should when the key is turned to on , but when turned to start no cranking .
I trouble shot the starter relay and I'm getting 12v pos to the tigger when the key is turned but no ground signal from the PCM .
The one thing I've done is used all the stuff from the glider kit like the GEM module (different options the the donor )dash cluster but the PCM from the donor . I'm wondering What might need to have the vin # changed as their maybe a issue with the components may have different vin # tags with them to get them to talk together ?
I stopped into my local ford dealer and asked but they weren't sure and want to " bring it in" so they can "poke at it with a stick" on my dime .
Any help on where to look toward finding the issue so if I do need to take it in for a " flashing" and tell them what I need and I don't have to pay $$$$$ for them to fool around .
If anyone knows any ideas or where to turn to that might be better here , let me know
Thanks Todd
..... I give you a lot of credit Todd, I looked @ those gliders many times. There are 2 other Transit Connect forums that are Much more active. Posting @ them may produce help..... Give Brian a call @ Tuner Tools, (888) 623-8863 he is very good on flashing, see the list @ the left side of his first page...best of luck on this very rare & cool build Todd.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:24 AM
Koffer
New User
Thanks
Yeah I hit a wall on this one , I started putting the dash,GEM module and the tire pressure mod in from the donor. So I put back in all the stuff that came from the glider kit .
I'm just hoping I didn't screw anything up when I was parts swapping yesterday

I have noticed that I'm no longer getting my 12v crank voltage feeding the relay and fuse 22 under the hood doesn't have 12v when the key is on . I have the wire manual and the svc manual for this but the major issue is the svc manual bases a lot of still off having a ford scan tool , which I don't have .
I think I give Brian a call a pick his brain after I poke the bear a little longer
Originally Posted by operating engineer
..... I give you a lot of credit Todd, I looked @ those gliders many times. There are 2 other Transit Connect forums that are Much more active. Posting @ them may produce help..... Give Brian a call @ Tuner Tools, (888) 623-8863 he is very good on flashing, see the list @ the left side of his first page...best of luck on this very rare & cool build Todd.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:04 PM
2LostInTransit
Junior User
Hah, the only advice I have to offer is advice the dealerships. We've been given the run around 3 weeks after buying out 015.. the dealership was so busy, they could take 20 mins out of their busy day.. (drinking coffee) and install our tags. Sure sounds like something I could have done right?.. well come to find out the salesmen installed the wrong screws in the pemstuds located/mounted in the rear lift gate. red tape later.. is screw it I'll do it myself. and I did. Drilled out the pemstuds and riveted the plates in place.. done 20 mins tops. So if you can do these thing buy yourself.. go for it.. cause I haven't found a replacement Ford dealership willing to step up with a positive attitude.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:25 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Sounds like a PATS issue. It should have a rapidly blinking security symbol on the dash. If that's the case, then have a key cut to match the one you've been using minus the transponder, just plain. Then, use that key in the ignition with the head of the donor's key laying against it, and see if it'll start. If it does, then just follow the PATS key programming sequence. If not, it may well be dealership time to get it flashed and programmed. It will need to go there anyways to correct the vin mismatch.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:02 PM
Koffer
New User
I was thinking poss a PATS issue but I don't have a fast blinking security light with the keys that came with the glider , just when I swapped the heads with the donor trucks key . Then I had the fast flashing light . I found a guy that's going to look at it next week who has a equipment to really dig into it and see what's talking to what or not talking and poss be able to take care of the vin # mismatch . Then if it's got to go to the dealer I can tell them what it needs so they don't put 8 hours into to it fooling around for a 10 min issue
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
Sounds like a PATS issue. It should have a rapidly blinking security symbol on the dash. If that's the case, then have a key cut to match the one you've been using minus the transponder, just plain. Then, use that key in the ignition with the head of the donor's key laying against it, and see if it'll start. If it does, then just follow the PATS key programming sequence. If not, it may well be dealership time to get it flashed and programmed. It will need to go there anyways to correct the vin mismatch.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:36 AM
Koffer
New User
Thumbs up Update It runs and drives!!!

After talking to 4 local dealerships svc dept around here and having them look at me with the deer in the headlights stare I gave up on them . I was unable to talk to any of svc managers just the writers who I'm pretty sure we're selling cell phones last week . Their answer to every question was " I have no clue, bring it in and will you want an oil change ,and fuel system cleaning with that?"
I took to a place and it sat at the shop for 2 months after they told me "yeah we get it going" and then they " didn't have time to look at it " I drug it back home . The next guy I found on creigslist told me ,"yeah I work for a dealer do this stuff on the side " got scared off I think when he was running the vins of both trucks and was looking at the svc manuals for the glider unit as a competed unit . Pretty sure that did it in for him as the excuses started coming in and then canceled the day before showing up .
I finally found thru a local body shop a person who does just this stuff as a 9to5 job for repair and auto body shops. He comes to the shop and this is all he does with the factory tools and programs for just about all the makes and models .
Called him up told him what I had and he was interested in working on it since it sounded like a challenge . Made an appointment with him and he showed up and started his magic . Took him about an hour to get the BCM ,PCM,PATS,ABS TPMS and the dash all happily talking to on another . There were 2 hiccups one was the dash in the gilder was not wanting to play since it wasn't setup at the factory. It was tossing out a code saying "send to ford" so I took 5 minutes and just popped the one in from the donor with the 1100 miles on it . The other thing was I screwed up the fuel pump relay and cracked it while trouble shooting a few months ago. so when he was done it was cranking but the fuel pump wasn't running . A quick bypass jumper and it started . I pulled one from the donor and all was well .
I now have to finish waiting for a title as it's been since April dealing with that