1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Replacing 83 Ford Econoline weatherstripping and seals

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 02:37 PM
83EconolineXL
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing 83 Ford Econoline weatherstripping and seals

We have an 83 Ford E-100 XL van that needs all of the window and door rubber replaced. Every thing is old, cracked, and needs full replacement; not repair or quick fix. I need some serious hand holding as I am a newbie and am fumbling my way around auto-jargin. The problem I am having is I am having the hardest time finding the right parts. I tried to order some things off JC Whitley but every item has a vague description and no specs on length etc. or even which door or window they are meant for. The thing I absolutely could not find was the seals / rubber for the driver and passenger side rear windows. These are my #1 concern as you can see daylight through the current seals but I have no idea what product I need. Please help a newbie out...

Old 05-31-2015, 03:25 PM
econolinemanor
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need to go to automotivefairchild.com they have plenty for an 83-E, just search by model..............

Old 05-31-2015, 05:50 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by econolinemanor
You need to go to automotivefairchild.com they have plenty for an 83-E, just search by model..............
Nice site. I don't see prices or a way to buy online.

LMC has decent stuff too.

Truck Parts and Truck Accessories

Old 05-31-2015, 06:17 PM
econolinemanor
Senior User
Just noticed that....LOL, RockAuto carries Fairchild W/S. And you can search the Web with just the part numbers on eBay, etc......

Old 05-31-2015, 06:42 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts
Please double check and make sure these fit your van.
My doors are in the same shape as yours and I am looking for new weatherstripping.

Econo4spd I believe has redone his doors and if I remember there was a couple of parts he couldn’t buy new.

Here is something that helped me in searching for parts.
The first for numbers or digits ate
Part numbers starting with the letter E were updated in the 80's , F updated in the 1990‘s.
Example E=1980‘s, 5= the year, hence updated part number 1985..
Example F=1990‘s 1= the year, hence updated part number in 1991..
So the first letter and first number tell you the year the part was made or its updated number . The third digit or letter is the type of car,truck.
U= Econoline 1961-later
Z= equals the engineering division of ford that designed the part,, I believe..
Hope that makes sense... I am not sure how to code the actual part numbers..

The numbers below are for my 1985 vent window weatherstrip. according to this site, they fit yours also
Home > Ford Trucks > Econoline: 1980-1999 (416)
E5UZ1521448A - WEATHERSTRIP-FRONT DOOR VENT WINDOW FRONT (RH)
E5UZ1521448A|WEATHERSTRIP-FRONT DOOR VENT WINDOW FRONT RH|NOS Parts Ltd

Note: 8-A is right hand side,,, 9-A is the left hand side... If you find the left hand side, more then one of them,, please let me know. Several places list it but when you call them it is out of stock or not avaliable. Some sites will let you order it, but I called first and they said they didn’t have it.
Again please double check this part number for your 83 van.. I was looking for an 85..
You can find the right hand side..
E5UZ-1521448-A
F1UZ-1521448-A

E5UZ-1521449-A
F1UZ-1521449-A
-
-
Ok,, now the seal that goes around the inside of the window frame that the glass slides in is called “Glass Run”
1983 Ford E150 Van Front Window Glass Run Channel Seal Pair
Fits both the LH (driver) & RH (passenger) side FRONT DOORS
Replaces dealer part number: D5UZ1121546B, D5UZ 1121546 B
Front vertical inside window channel (Rear side of Vent Glass)

Commonly called "Front Glass Run" weatherstrip or "Division Bar Weatherstrip" by Ford
1983 Ford E150 Van Front Window Glass Run Channel Seal Pair at 1A Auto.com

lets get more confused.. from the site above, it states for the glass run part numbers:
Correct for models that “”“use 7/32 inch THICK DOOR GLASS”“”

while this ford site states:
Thru 21547 RUN (DOOR GLASS)-Hinge side - Callout Name: 21546
D5UZ-1121546-B
Run Assy - Glass
R.H. and L.H.-front-"""use with 5/32" thick glass”“”, "Before 11/84"
1983 Ford E150 DOORS AND WINDOWS Front door window parts

So there is something to check into before you order the parts.. 5/32 or 7/32 glass. Guess you will need to measure it and I would call and make the order an make sure you document that question in case the part doesnt fit..

Notice these part numbers start with a D5,,, They were designed or updated in 1975 according to my understanding.. Also from what I understand, they will not fit my 85.. There is something different in 83 and 85.. perhaps the glass thickness or the way the fasten in? Notice the ford site mentions “before 11/84“

Another note... There is a bar between the vent window and the roll-up window, it is called a “division bar”... I am not sure what to do with that... ford lists 2 different weatherstrips for the window. one for the glass run and one for the division bar.. I can not find one for the division bar and beleive that was the part Econo4spd was talking about.. But then when I looked up the part number for the division bar for my 85, some kits seem to indicate that the glass run weatherstrip they sell will fit in the division bar also... So I dont know what to tell you on that one..

You will also need these
1975-91 Ford Fullsize Van Beltline Kit
1975-91 Ford Fullsize Van Beltline Kit

And the weatherstrip that goes all the way around the door itself..
you can find them here along with the window sweep/beltline
Truck Parts and Truck Accessories
I do not know the ford part number right now... If you don’t find the ford part numbers, i will be looking for mine and the next week or so and will post them.. not sure we need them...

OK now rear doors and double side doors use a different outer weatherstrip from the from the front doors, they have moulded corners on them I believe.
looking at Rock Auto, they seem to have many of the weatherstrips for the side and rear cargo doors..
I cant help with the cargo door windows as mine are fixed windows..

One more tip...
To get an idea what to do I watched these short videos.. they have to be simular to a van..
1973-1979 Ford Truck Beltline Weatherstrip Installation

1973-1979 Ford Truck Window Channel installation

1973-1979 Ford Truck Vent Weatherstrip Installation

This does not apply to our e150‘s, I dont think as my door seals are on the door themselves but might apply to cargo windows in a way...
1973-1979 Ford Truck Door Weatherstrip installation

heres one more that might give some tips
North Carolina F-150 Window Channel Replacement

Ok sorry this turned out so long... Wasn’t much work for me as I have most of this book marked since I have been searching for these parts in the past week...

PS,, on the division bar seal,,, I wonder if one from a f150 truck might fit?

Old 05-31-2015, 10:25 PM
98Econoline150
Senior User
I also recommend Metro Soft Seal and Steele Rubber products, browse their websites and see if they have anything you need.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:11 AM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts
Thanks for the links..
I noticed on this page:
Steele Rubber Products - Channel Weatherstripping
They have universal weatherstripping and perhaps that might be a god option for the division bar molding.. The only pieces I have not fond is the division bar molding and the left vent window seal.
It would probably be advisable while one has the door panel off, to clean the tack and rollers as well as clean and grease the window gearing, maybe the door latch locks too.

Do you have any information on the different materials some companies might be using for the door seal weatherstripping? I have seen some that look more like a soft foam like material and others that are more rubber like. Two were replaced on my side doors by the PO and they are very soft. Though they look to be in great shape but the doors still close sloppy like they are not closed all the way.

here are a couple more how too videos I found helpful..
How to glue auto weatherstrip the right way

and this one about prepping and cleaning off old glue
Weatherstrip installation tricks