Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Oil Leak @ Oil Cooler Adaptor Fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 05:59 PM
HearseDriver
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Oil Leak @ Oil Cooler Adaptor Fixed!

First I want to thank everyone who posted on any thread about repairing this leak. All the information was a BIG help but there was some information that was an unknown. I read where the motor mounts were a solid mount. Apparently they are in fact NOT a solid mount. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-for-6-8l.html I personally can neither confirm nor deny this on my 06 V10. After using 4 bottles of Grill & Oven Cleaner (from the Dollar Tree) followed with some scrubbing with a parts cleaning brush it was cleaned enough for me to get started. I removed the bolts to the fan shroud & drained the fluids (oil & water) removed the nuts on the passenger side motor mount at the frame (in case it was a solid mount), removed the trans mounts nuts & removed the drivers side motor mount nuts to the frame and LOOSENED the bolts that passed through the Oil Cooler adaptor. I jacked up the motor at the oil pan until the motor hit the top of the engine bay or cowl - it would NOT go up any further. I removed the 4 bolts from the motor mount to the block so I could remove the motor mount. Are you KIDDING? I needed another 1/4" of height to remove the motor mounts. No way was I able to get it out. I removed the oil pressure sending unit, & removed the bolts to the Oil Cooler Adaptor - no way was it coming out with the motor mount still in its way. I then removed the Air Box & its mounting bracket. I was now able to slip a stiff PLASTIC putty knife between the Oil Cooler Adaptor & Block to scrape it clean (I couldn't see in there end didn't want to chance gouging the block or adaptor with a metal putty knife. I followed this with several liberal sprays of Brakleen. I then wrapped my Plastic putty knife with a clean shop rag and scrubbed the block & adaptor until the shop rag came out clean. I kept spraying between the block & adaptor intermittently with Brakleen while doing this. Once my shop rag was completely clean of grease & oil I installed the new gasket - not an easy feat in itself & buttoned everything up. Did I mention I used Never Seize on everything during reassembly? I also replaced the two 3/4" hoses from the lower radiator hose to the Oil Cooler Adaptor as shown in the You Tube video. It took me 2 full days to get this done. The first day was devoted to draining the fluids & cleaning the motor & undercarriage of the grease & oil from the Oil filter Adaptor gasket leaking so long. I bought the truck with the leak. I HATE Oil Leaks!!! I did this last weekend & over the holiday weekend I took the truck out for a nice little jaunt and No Oil Leak! One leak left to tackle though - the Steering Box seal at the Pitman Shaft leaks - that's going to have to wait until next weekend though. I'm ordering that through Rock Auto - Gates brand & lifetime guarantee.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:25 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Nice report! Sorry you had to go through all that

One thought about the steering box output shaft, the outer seal is just a "dust seal".

There is an o-ring or some other seal inside the steering box, that means you have to take the box apart to really change it. I have had some success in the past just changing the dust seal on other vehicles, and you can try doing that, but if it still leaks after all that work, you're looking at removing the output shaft of the steering box to replace that seal.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:42 PM
HearseDriver
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Krewat, The main reason for my post or rant I guess was to hopefully help the next person that plans on replacing the Oil Cooler Adaptor Gasket. Yes, it was definitely a PITA but now that there is no more leak it was well worth the 2 days spent working on it even if one day was devoted to cleaning up before I started working on it.

Also a Big THANK YOU for the information about changing the seal on the steering box. Now I know I'll need to pull the box to replace the O ring, seal & dust seal. I was planning on trying to change it all with the box in place. You saved me a LOT of time & grief! I'm a new member but I've sure learned a lot from the great people on this site!