Toyhauler modifications thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 05:54 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Bought a pair of LED whips for the RZR and spent $10 on fittings and paint to create a place to stow them. It's also a visual reminder to take them off before pulling in.

Name:  20160927_172532_zpsshe5qez0.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  148.4 KB

Ready for dune season.

Name:  20160913_201312_zpsb3tpjrce.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  87.2 KB

Old 10-02-2016, 08:46 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,719 Likes on 2,755 Posts
Those LED whips look like Light Sabers!!

Old 10-02-2016, 10:23 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking good Scott! The mfgrs hate guys like us that aren't afraid of turning their creations into something they should have been to begin with....

Old 11-01-2016, 06:43 PM
CarterKraft
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by dlibson
I never posted my mods. Mostly storage related.

First, made some cabinets for under the bottom bed/sofas in the garage. Storage for the kids stuff.

These are awesome. How are they working out? How heavy are they?
Does the motor have any trouble holding them up while traveling?

Old 11-01-2016, 06:57 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
They are just about 50 lbs each I'd guess, plus what's in them. The motor works fine with them. No issues at all otherwise. Adds a ton of storage.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:33 AM
defekticon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dlibson
They are just about 50 lbs each I'd guess, plus what's in them. The motor works fine with them. No issues at all otherwise. Adds a ton of storage.
That's a great Idea. I have a bunch of kid stuff and camp chairs just laying around in the garage right now and I need somewhere to put them all!

Old 11-21-2016, 10:22 AM
CarterKraft
More Turbo
Thanksgiving trip

First ever dirt biking Thanksgiving in process.
I reconfigured the bike chock bar for two little bikes and one large. I have several chocks made up to swap on and off the bar. I added two more tie downs a foot to the rear so I can still walk around the front. I bought the toy hauler to be able to take the dirt bikes but this will mark the second dirt bike trip in 3 years of ownership.

Attached Images    
Old 11-23-2016, 12:21 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice job Carter. Interesting to see a TT without any hold downs, factory installed. You got pretty creative to attach this, using some adjustability to boot!
I have floor EZ tracks to install my wood 2x8 across the front with brackets attached to support the front wheels and tie downs.
Always a creative way to get it done.
Congrats and enjoy your turkey trip.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:47 PM
CarterKraft
More Turbo
Thanks Bob.

It had the two front most tie down points and I just added the two new ones 12" to the rear. The four tie downs that are factory installed are for strapping down ATV's or SXS's, they don't help much on two wheelers. There are plenty of other ways to chock bikes but I had a bunch of these pit Posse chocks and they seemed to provide the most flexibility as they don't require straps on the big bikes. The kids bikes are a little tougher but they hold the wheel well enough that the straps work as they should.

After this trip I will bust the chocks and bar down and put some paint on them, rust doesn't fit my wife's decor.

All went well except my daughters bike tried to eat itself and seized three times before I knew what was going on. Oh well new crank bearings and seals are on there way to me for a bottom end rebuild.

Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2016, 12:49 PM
CarterKraft
More Turbo
This is one of my favorite mods so far. I don't have any cool stabilizer systems on my rig only the scissor jacks. With the trailer as tall as it is it requires a small lumber yard of wood to get it leveled or supported. I got some 2" thick plywood from work and thought it would make a good base for the jacks. I built the blocks from 3 pieces of the ply and the middle is drilled in a clover pattern with a 3" hole saw to reduce weight. I sealed them with Duplicolor bed liner spray and attached drawer pulls to aid in handling. The whole point of the blocks was to have them stored at each jack so I can simply grab them out of there carrier and flip them over place under the jack and using my cordless drill lower/raise the jack. I built the racks out of aluminum angle and flat strap with a gravity latch to keep them in the cradle. I used a lock washer between the latch and the cradle to keep the latch vertical in either position. It works great and the only thing I would change is to add another layer to the rear blocks as I seem to always be in a spot that the rear is high and the nose has to be dropped to get level.

Attached Images   
Old 11-29-2016, 12:53 PM
CarterKraft
More Turbo
Another simple mod to a mod. I can't stand mushy steps so I added the step support rods awhile back to the middle tread on the front and rear door steps. With the support on the middle tread and the steps being so high off the ground it required 4-6" of blocks to get a surface to place the support. That has annoyed me since I installed the supports and last week I fixed that problem. I added 5" of 3/4" pipe to the rods. This allowed me to screw the rods up on the threads and gives me the ability to reach the ground no matter the condition.

Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2016, 02:58 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Originally Posted by CarterKraft
All went well except my daughters bike tried to eat itself and seized three times before I knew what was going on. Oh well new crank bearings and seals are on there way to me for a bottom end rebuild.
Ouch! Been there, done that. Just love splitting cases.
We rebuilt my sons YZ 125 several times after he seized it up. Yamaha uses plastic inserts around the crank main bearing to reduce air space in the bottom end. This helped to prevent good lubrication and we needed to modify them to allow better flow.
I like your jack bases and the idea to keep them close by. Saw your steps changes but didn't really understand the concept.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:21 PM
CarterKraft
More Turbo
Originally Posted by r2millers
Ouch! Been there, done that. Just love splitting cases.
We rebuilt my sons YZ 125 several times after he seized it up. Yamaha uses plastic inserts around the crank main bearing to reduce air space in the bottom end. This helped to prevent good lubrication and we needed to modify them to allow better flow.
I like your jack bases and the idea to keep them close by. Saw your steps changes but didn't really understand the concept.

Yeah case stuffers, never had a engine with those but I hear they are a pain. The step support is really just a modification to a off the shelf modification.
This picture should help.
Camco save a step

Old 12-03-2016, 11:27 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Nice mod with the steps! I need to remember those the next time I'm at Camping World...

I used to run crankcase stuffers in my Kart engines.. Bearings did not last long with or without them but that was before the more modern oils. 21,000 RPM did not help either... LOL

Old 12-04-2016, 01:21 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Nice mod with the steps! I need to remember those the next time I'm at Camping World...

I used to run crankcase stuffers in my Kart engines.. Bearings did not last long with or without them but that was before the more modern oils. 21,000 RPM did not help either... LOL
Now I've got it. Nice addition to the steps.

21k...ya think!

Quick Reply: Toyhauler modifications thread