1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

towing a truck home safely

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 08:40 AM
chillman88
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
towing a truck home safely

Hey all,

The f250 I've been looking at is an hour away from me so I'll need to get it home somehow.

Any reason I can't remove the axle shafts from the full floater dana 60 and put the front tires on a car dolly to tow it home? It is an 85 4x4 with a c6

Old 05-12-2015, 08:43 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,684 Likes on 1,360 Posts
No reason at all why that would not work. Just don't try to pull it with a small toyota or something like that. Try to pull it with a full size pickup. Be careful, you won't have any brakes except the vehicle doing the towing, and these trucks are not lightweight.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:55 AM
chillman88
Senior User
Yeah the truck I'd be towing it with is my chevy and everything is beefed up on it. The brakes should have no trouble with it the way I've got it set up. Thanks!

Old 05-12-2015, 09:11 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 854 Likes on 772 Posts
You might want to make up something to keep the gear oil from leaking through the hubs. Better to disconnect the driveshaft.
Are you sure the F250 will fit on the dolly?

Chevy towing a Ford......not a pretty picture.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:21 AM
NotEnoughTrucks2014
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Flat towed my F250 with a towbar for about an hour. Put the transfer case in neutral and unlocked the front hubs. No problems and I now drive this truck regularly.

Good advice about the size to the tow vehicle. I'd love to bash your Chevy, but it will get the job done!

Old 05-12-2015, 09:39 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Did the same with an 86 F250 as 2014 did. But was only for about 25 miles.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:52 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Like they said^^^^. Just put the transfer in neutral and the hubs out.
Don't unbolt a thing.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:57 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Chilly one, it's not near me is it? (10 miles N of Ithaca) Might be able to give you a hand...

Old 05-12-2015, 03:08 PM
chillman88
Senior User
Originally Posted by GLR
You might want to make up something to keep the gear oil from leaking through the hubs. Better to disconnect the driveshaft.
Are you sure the F250 will fit on the dolly?

Chevy towing a Ford......not a pretty picture.
I knew I'd get a Chevy dig in there

I was going to stuff a couple rags in the ends of the axles to keep the oil in. I'm not sure it will fit, but I've had another Chevy on a similar tow dolly with room so it should.

Originally Posted by GLR
Chilly one, it's not near me is it? (10 miles N of Ithaca) Might be able to give you a hand...
Sadly George, no it's in Livonia. It's about an hour for me but it's more like 2 for you. Thanks for the offer though, I appreciate it!

Originally Posted by arctic y block
Like they said^^^^. Just put the transfer in neutral and the hubs out.
Don't unbolt a thing.
I considered that, but the near zero possibility of it popping out of neutral and catching scares me.

I'd just drive it home if the front end wasn't so bad

Old 05-12-2015, 04:40 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
The thing that scares me about flat towing (or dolly-towing) without dropping the driveshaft or pulling the axles is the t.case. I know that a lot of them are supposed to be fine with it, but I met a guy when I was fourwheeling once in Colorado. He had flat towed his J**p there from Texas and at some point in the tow his t.case seized up. He ended up renting a J**p that week. Dropping the driveshaft is easy enough that it's not worth the risk (and I'd choose to drop the driveshaft before pulling axles too, but that's just me).

Old 05-12-2015, 04:47 PM
chillman88
Senior User
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
The thing that scares me about flat towing (or dolly-towing) without dropping the driveshaft or pulling the axles is the t.case. I know that a lot of them are supposed to be fine with it, but I met a guy when I was fourwheeling once in Colorado. He had flat towed his J**p there from Texas and at some point in the tow his t.case seized up. He ended up renting a J**p that week. Dropping the driveshaft is easy enough that it's not worth the risk (and I'd choose to drop the driveshaft before pulling axles too, but that's just me).
This is exactly why I didn't want to put it in neutral. It's "supposed" to be fine, but I don't really want to be that 1% that breaks something, and knowing my luck, I would!

Old 05-12-2015, 05:01 PM
InfantryCPT
Senior User
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
Same here, I just dropped the driveshaft on mine when I towed it a 100 miles with a towbar, no problems and it was 4 bolts and some tape (to keep the U-joints together)

Old 05-12-2015, 05:53 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
The easiest way to go about it..
AAA Plus for about $85. That leaves you 2 more 100 miles tows, unlimited jump starts, lockout and out of gas

Old 05-12-2015, 08:29 PM
chillman88
Senior User
I don't think AAA will tow a vehicle with no plates and an outdated registration! They don't even like towing you if you aren't on the side of the road! My cousin's car just quit completely (needed more than a jump) at my other aunt's house. We had to PUSH THE CAR INTO THE ROAD before they would tow it. They didn't want to take it out of the driveway

Old 05-12-2015, 09:18 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
The easiest way to go about it..
AAA Plus for about $85. That leaves you 2 more 100 miles tows, unlimited jump starts, lockout and out of gas
I agree. I'm AAA Gold and got Rusty home that way.

Quick Reply: towing a truck home safely