Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse hell

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 04:39 PM
phnguyk
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if you're only running on 7 cylinders. Maybe an injector is on its way out or already is out. Or even a fuel pressure problem. My truck would run ok, key word ok. Whenever I put it in drive my rpms would drop a bit, reverse would almost always stall it. #8 injector was fried and #2 tested not so good.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:33 AM
garagegods
Junior User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
I don't know if you should have done it before or not. You (or someone) should do it now. It isn't hard to do. There is a plug on the driver's side of the trans. Take it out and thread a 0-350 PSI gauge in there. Read the pressures with the shifter in each position from P to 1.
Thanks everyone, I'm sure the transmission on this truck needed to be rebuilt, every time I take a car to a transmission shop they say "we gotta pull it out and see what's wrong" then what can someone do tell them to put it back at $500 then they sell me a rebuild. No one has ever offered to test anything before pulling it

Old 05-20-2015, 10:53 AM
garagegods
Junior User
Update:
Well after 3 weeks with another mechanic stalling in reverse problem un solved, changed harmonic balance fixed a coolant leak around timing cover then gas starts pouring from rear tank to front. Had a 5th mechanic check instrument cluster for stall problem there no luck. Now he is sure it's something to do with torque converter and definitely transmission issue not engine causing stall. Taking it back to supposed good tranny shop to have them check it out???? Now isn't looking or checking torque converter or solenoid part of tranny shop I paid $2,700 to for solving reverse stall issue? Any suggestions as to what to have tranny shop check there work? Check pressure? Is cooling system getting to tranny?? What about torque converter solenoid how can we be sure it's torque converter ? At a loss I guess the only fix for this problem is never go in reverse ?????

Frustrating as F***

Old 05-20-2015, 12:17 PM
garagegods
Junior User
This truck also stalls idle drops way down when shifting from park to R,1&2 drive is ok???

By the way F*** is for F O R D😁

Old 05-20-2015, 04:20 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
I wish I had some suggestion for you. I'm all done trying to help you.

The ONLY way to diagnose this is to put a 0-350 PSI gauge in the test port on the driver's side of the transmission. You need to read the pressure with the shifter in each position from P to 1. Except in P and N you need these pressures with the truck standing still and your right foot on the floor. DO NOT HOLD IN GEAR AT WOT FOR MORE THAN 10 SECONDS. After each WOT pressure check fast idle in N for one minute.
I've found the cause for several of these. It always boils down to low pressure.
That can be caused by low fluid level, a loose/damage/missing filter, leaking internal seals, a bad pump, or a defective torque converter. None of those can be ruled out because you paid a lot of money for a rebuild.
I don't know if you should have done it before or not. You (or someone) should do it now. It isn't hard to do. There is a plug on the driver's side of the trans. Take it out and thread a 0-350 PSI gauge in there. Read the pressures with the shifter in each position from P to 1.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:36 PM
garagegods
Junior User
I wish I had some suggestion for you. I'm all done trying to help you.
Thanks Mark! I am taking your advice and taking it back to transmission shop and demand they run more tests for
Pressure.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:33 AM
tempest411
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Why not just drop the transmission pan yourself and make sure the filter is secured properly? I've read it's a pretty common problem with those things falling off and causing the exact problem your having. In my older truck with an AOD transmission I had this same issue because it was 1/3 qt. low on fluid. I couldn't believe that could happen...What a bizarre transmission design...

Old 05-22-2015, 04:14 PM
garagegods
Junior User
Originally Posted by tempest411
Why not just drop the transmission pan yourself and make sure the filter is secured properly? I've read it's a pretty common problem with those things falling off and causing the exact problem your having. In my older truck with an AOD transmission I had this same issue because it was 1/3 qt. low on fluid. I couldn't believe that could happen...What a bizarre transmission design...
it's back at transmission shop is not the filter I asked them to check pressure not sure if they will do it??? So far the only feedback I got is that they will look at it again and that my rebuilt transmission had so
Many mismatched parts it's hard to tell???? Now what did I pay $2700 for them to rebuilld a frankentransmission that they can't understand??? My guess is they will throw it back at me and say tranny is perfect even though it dies in all gears now??? It just gets worst

Old 05-23-2015, 12:08 PM
garagegods
Junior User
Originally Posted by garagegods
it's back at transmission shop is not the filter I asked them to check pressure not sure if they will do it??? So far the only feedback I got is that they will look at it again and that my rebuilt transmission had so
Many mismatched parts it's hard to tell???? Now what did I pay $2700 for them to rebuilld a frankentransmission that they can't understand??? My guess is they will throw it back at me and say tranny is perfect even though it dies in all gears now??? It just gets worst
Update :
Transmission shop called they seem to admitt it's a problem in the transmission rebuild. Not sure exactly what went wrong they told me one problem is solved but now it's not shifting right so they have ordered matching parts according to vin number, what ever that means?? I'm not paying them one more cent wait till next week for outcome???

Old 05-23-2015, 09:06 PM
krooser
Elder User
If you paid with a credit card, and the problem is not resolved, I'd contest the charges with your CC company and you'll likely get your $$$ back. But you need to do it asap...

Old 05-23-2015, 09:28 PM
fordf350man
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by krooser
If you paid with a credit card, and the problem is not resolved, I'd contest the charges with your CC company and you'll likely get your $$$ back. But you need to do it asap...
I agree with this guy. I always pay for my service items with AMEX for this very reason.... Also next time just cruise the forums and buy a Chiltons guide. 99% of the mechanics out there will screw you over and not think twice and still give you a car back knowing its not fixed. I have learned this lesson a few times even with recommended mechanics. Always try and take it to a specialized shop if possible and do your research to find the best shops in your area (I am still figuring all that out but have a damn good tire shop, alignment, and brake guy (a mobile guy) so far). Your better off trying to diagnose these things yourself on a truck like this. A little research and rent a tools from auto-zone (their Free!) and you can figure most things out on your own. I have found most mechanics don't like to work on anything non-obd2. I guess the art of engine diagnostics is dying..... you would think in the Dallas area there is someone but I have not found him!

Old 05-26-2015, 08:55 PM
garagegods
Junior User
Update

Got truck back from transmission shop today so far so good no stall in any gears including reverse they admitted there was a problem in rebuild but no explanation. Time to drive truck this week and see if things are still good when it gets hot? Thanks for everyone's help!

Old 05-26-2015, 10:59 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by garagegods
Got truck back from transmission shop today so far so good no stall in any gears including reverse they admitted there was a problem in rebuild but no explanation. Time to drive truck this week and see if things are still good when it gets hot? Thanks for everyone's help!
Really glad to hear that its doing well!! Felt your pain for the $$$'s spent on the transmission and still not working correctly.

Let us know how the next few weeks go for ya!

Old 05-27-2015, 09:55 AM
garagegods
Junior User
Originally Posted by timbersteel
Really glad to hear that its doing well!! Felt your pain for the $$$'s spent on the transmission and still not working correctly.

Let us know how the next few weeks go for ya!
Thanks will keep you posted wish I knew more about what was causing the stall in reverse for others but I know zero about transmissions and have no idea what they did to make it work ???! I still get a little bit of a hard shift in reverse like a clunk when I put it in reverse not sure if that's normal ?

Old 06-01-2015, 11:42 AM
garagegods
Junior User
Week 1

Drove truck all last week ran great one slight stall in reverse on a hill different kind of stall was immediate no drop in rpm.
Solid idle no other stalls. When I got truck back from shop no turn signals or daytime running lights or OD button light. Turned out to be a 15amp fuse blown. Replaced fuse and now the truck is running not as well died a couple times immediately like a short or fuel problem ??? Not sure if it's related to electrical or gas it still transmission???? I do have the classic dual tank problem can't use front tank dumping fuel on ground and back tank fills front tank. Maybe it's my fuel filter clogged from junk in tank??? Any thought would be appreciated 😀

Quick Reply: Reverse hell