Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Power windows issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 01:54 PM
tycooper
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power windows issue

I have an 02 Mercury Mountaineer that seems to be having some electrical problems.
Hopefully I can explain the issue properly.

Things I have done:
The rear passenger window the cable snapped and we currently have a 2X2 in it to prop the window up. the motor is still connected we just don't use it.

The front passenger window's motor locked up so we replaced the regulator and motor on that.

Before all this happened the window would work when they wanted. I replaced the #17 fuse (15 amp) and they worked.

what is happening:
Now they do not work until the #17 fuse is pulled and then put back in. The will work until the motor is turned off and the door is opened. Then I have to pull the fuse again. It does not matter if I use a new fuse or the same one that is currently in it.

Another issue (may not be related) is the dome lights stay on for hours after getting out of the car. They used to shut off after a min or two. I have to use the dimmer switch to shut them off.

This is going to be my teen age daughters vehicle to drive and I want to make sure it is functioning properly.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Ty

Old 05-05-2015, 04:07 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Both issues sound like they could be related to common issues with these vehicles. The power window issues (beside the window regulators) could very well be due to a broken (or more than one) wire in the accordion boot between the driver's door and the cabin. It's pretty common for wires to break there and become intermittent. The antidote of pulling and reinstalling the fuse is likely just coincidence, or is possibly indicative of a loose connection that temporarily arcs when the fuse is reinstalled and momentarily forces a connection again, until the wire is flexed when the door is opened.

The dome light issue is likely due to either a malfunctioning door ajar switch (resides inside the door latch) or possibly another broken wire in the accordion boot. If you're in the accordion boot looking for the suspect power window wire, also inspect for a broken wire for the door ajar switch. You might also try using some electrical contact cleaner, spray a liberal amount in the door latch, and open and close the door several times. Then give the cleaner some time to evaporate, then spray in some electrical contact preservative and you'll probably have a pretty long lasting fix for the door switch. My cleaner and preservative of choice is Caig DeOxit and Caig PreservIt respectively.

-Rod