1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Question on AOD for 8BA

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 11:51 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Question on AOD for 8BA

Before I finish tearing down the 51 F1 I need to make a decision on power train. I want an automatic in this truck, preferably with overdrive. I had considered selling off the flathead and 3 speed to recoup some funds toward purchasing a 302/AOD. Keeping in mind that I had this engine running last week for about 1 min. and it was the first time it had run in at least 10 years, I ran a compression test on it this morning. It showed 80-95 lbs in all 8 cylinders, so I think it's safe to say this should be a pretty solid engine. With that in mind, I think I would be better off to keep this motor and just buy a kit and transmission. I know that my options of course are AOD, C4 or 700R4, 350, 400 etc., so my preference is of course the AOD. I don't want to go the Chevy route and the C4's are getting harder to find and seem to be pricing almost as high as the AOD's, without the advantage of the overdrive.
So, I know that the 302 went from Carb to EFI in 85, so is that gonna be some kind of cut off for the AOD to look for? I admit that I am really in the dark here, but I do remember reading some things about the TV set up and how they have to match the carb. Since I am running the stock '94' carb is there a specific year transmission or special set up that I would need for this? Also I know that there are some different adapters out there, but I have been looking at the one that Speedway sells for $399 Flathead V8 to Ford C4 Transmission Basic Adapter Kit - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop I know they sell a whole kit including the transmission, for $2300 but I am sure that I can get a transmission for less than $1900.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:14 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Remember Joe, You get what you pay for. And I would sure
want a warranty on an AOD. Myself I am scared to death
from what I have read about the AOD being so temperamental.
I would go with a 5sp manual. But that is just me. I need an overdrive
in my Bronk but I am sure I would tear up an AOD. My C6 is a
great tranny. But no overdrive. I have heard the C6 can be made
into an overdrive but will need to look into this some more. Still
an M5OD or ZF5 would fit me well.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:37 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by arctic y block
Remember Joe, You get what you pay for. And I would sure
want a warranty on an AOD. Myself I am scared to death
from what I have read about the AOD being so temperamental.
I would go with a 5sp manual. But that is just me. I need an overdrive
in my Bronk but I am sure I would tear up an AOD. My C6 is a
great tranny. But no overdrive. I have heard the C6 can be made
into an overdrive but will need to look into this some more. Still
an M5OD or ZF5 would fit me well.
I understand what your saying, but I want the wife to be able to drive this truck, and with my knees and doing a 1/2 ton this time means more use, an auto is going to be the way I am going. I do intend to buy one with a warranty, when I dismissed the extra $1900 on the Speedway transmission, it was because I know that I can buy rebuilt AOD's w/ 2 yr warranty for about $1000/$1200 anywhere. As for the C6, my understanding is that putting one behind a flathead is like putting an anchor on the engine.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:47 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes the C6 as great a tranny as it is takes like 20HP
just to move. Not good for a 95 HP engine. And a built
better than stock AOD can be a great tranny if built right.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:54 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by arctic y block
Yes the C6 as great a tranny as it is takes like 20HP
just to move. Not good for a 95 HP engine. And a built
better than stock AOD can be a great tranny if built right.
Yes, I'm not looking to put a JY AOD behind the Flattie. In fact, I want to put some run time (although not drive) on the motor before I make a final commitment to stay with it, but then I could always pull the New flattie out of Edith for this one.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:58 PM
BDYY
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had a few AODs back in the day and think they are great (and would defintely be on a 8BA engine). The secret to keeping the happy is keeping them cool. The biggest failure I've seen with them is burning up the OD band due to insufficient cooling. The later the year the better on AODs. Also it is good to know what vehicle the AOD came out of. Most of the time, the higher the HP/TQ, the stronger they are. I would definitely agree with Arctic that you'd want to try to get a warranty.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:12 PM
c91x
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I'd want the lower first gear of the 4r70w with a flathead. If you do get one rebuilt you could have the better 4r parts installed in the aod case or just buy a 4r and a controller. The AOD lokar TV cable just gets attached to your throttle linkage but you'd have to fab up a mount. The 4r is a superior trans but its electronic so that might be a factor for some.

Here's a breakdown of what AOD's to look for

Baumann Electronic Controls

Old 05-06-2015, 05:53 PM
jmerson
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Harleyman,

I have a '54 F100 with a 302 and an AOD. On the flat it's great but in the hills there is too much change between OD and direct. I go from the San Joaquin Valley in CA to Reno,NV and the hills kill me and the fuel consumption is terrible. The engine runs great on the flat but it may not have enough HP to pull the hills in OD.

Good luck,

Jim

Old 05-07-2015, 05:19 AM
Flat Ernie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmerson

I have a '54 F100 with a 302 and an AOD. On the flat it's great but in the hills there is too much change between OD and direct. I go from the San Joaquin Valley in CA to Reno,NV and the hills kill me and the fuel consumption is terrible. The engine runs great on the flat but it may not have enough HP to pull the hills in OD.
I have the same combo. I can confirm the mileage isn't great. I'm not done tuning just yet, and may change the rear gear out eventually, but with the stock 4.10 rear and relatively tall tires (30x9.5x15), I'm getting 15mpg no matter what I do...

Not many significant hills here in N.FL/SE.AL/SW.GA so cannot comment on the downshifting other than I have to get on it pretty good on the highway to force the downshift. My 302 is from a 1989 Mustang GT converted to carb.

I will say the stock trans crossmember the bellhousing mounts connected to will have to be modified, at least, if not removed. I got away with notching mine.

As for TV linkage, I'm using a Holley carburetor. Most of them have a lower bellcrank on the throttle linkage that has an offset. I found that flattening that offset so it's in the same plane as the throttle linkage, extended it enough so I could rig a 1:1 linkage for the TV cable. I used an OEM TV cable and fabricated a mount for it.

You can make your head swim and drive yourself crazy with all the "how to" adjust the TV cable info online. I took mine to my trans shop guy who I bought the trans from - brought it on a trailer and let him adjust it. He did it by feel and the trans shifts great - this is an old time trans shop, been in the area since the early 60s and all their guys are very experienced. This particular guy was a senior tech, and a hot-rodder, and had done many AOD conversions. YMMV

Finally, for shift linkage, I modified the stock 3-spd column shifter to actuate my AOD. I had to fab a bracket to bolt to the AOD linkage and tweak the stock lower column shift arm ever so slightly, but it works great. No detents in the shifter and no indicator, so you have to 'feel' your way into drive, but it works for me.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:06 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

OK, so I am going to use an AOD behind the stock flathead, but need some help here from somebody that has a similar setup.
I am good to go on linkage etc., Lokar has the throttle cable setups BUT the original carb does not have a provision for the kick down. Lokar says they have nothing to take care of that and suggest check with the carb folks?
I found that edelbrock has kick down parts but they are all for multi-carb setups.
Am I going to be forced to change manifold and carb to make this work?

Old 07-28-2015, 02:17 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 613 Likes on 380 Posts
Does your carb have the extended throttle shaft for a manual throttle cable?

Old 07-28-2015, 04:37 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Does your carb have the extended throttle shaft for a manual throttle cable?
I don't think so

Old 07-28-2015, 05:45 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Other side of the carb

Old 07-28-2015, 06:47 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Other side of the carb
Doesn't appear to be.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:13 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
It doesn't have it, some trucks that had manual throttle have 1/2" - 3/4" of the throttle shaft sticking out. You would be able to fab a lever off that.

There are two flatheads in the local EFV8 club with AODs behind them, but both are blower motors with 4-bbls, so no help there.

Quick Reply: Question on AOD for 8BA