Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Kar-puter...aka Win 8.1 tablet in Excursion

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 09:23 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigBee
Nice I need to upgrade my Nas I have a ReadyNas 6+ that is about full at 9TB Dont know if I will upgrade disks or just start over.

I will try that in a second. I need to fix some DNS records and Blacklist problems for one of our companies.
I have RN316. Nice NAS. Lousy software platform. Out of the box, sync is worthless, but I use mklink as a workaround.

I prefer FreeFileSync to sync with limited overhead on demand (not always searching and comparing files). I made some scripts (jobs) to sync mid-level directories as needed. Otherwise Netgear's software is too heavy for my taste.

I don't trust their cloud based sharing. It's all web based configuration and I've seen it get hinky. The first step to effective security is reliability

If you're looking to upgrade, drop me a line first. They have some real issues with disk compatibility and support. Right ones, great. Wrong ones, hosed.

Gotta love a support system whose recommendation 60% of the time is to "rebuild and restore"

I found a nice trick for putting it into RAID6. Started with a tip from someone else.

Anyways, not trying to get this too far OT, just throwing that out there.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:30 AM
TheBigBee
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Rotateing has not worked i installed some orientation apps and they were all a no go I have also tried manually setting the resolution of the vm and that has not allowed any changes either.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:16 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Guys, I don't want to rain on yall's party, but all this High technology so you can run Torque Pro and AE on one platform??? where you going to hide the Flux Capacitor and the server farm??? Spare tire compartment? I do love Innovation!

Old 05-14-2015, 12:19 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by coax9952
Guys, I don't want to rain on yall's party, but all this High technology so you can run Torque Pro and AE on one platform??? where you going to hide the Flux Capacitor and the server farm??? Spare tire compartment? I do love Innovation!
LOL! "Geek Speak" is like Gatorade for marathon runners

Or "Tire Talk" for Diesel enthusiasts

Old 05-14-2015, 07:39 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
...Anyways, not trying to get this too far OT, just throwing that out there.
Please point out where the tech of OBDII interfacing would be ON topic.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:35 AM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I guess we won't get our own playroom until we completely clog up the rest of the forum with inane Geek Speak!( What! Burn him! he's a Heretic!)

Old 05-14-2015, 01:34 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
VMWare tip for Win8.1

Right-click VMWare (installed) and Run As Administrator.

Also had to play with permissions a bit on the moved VM, delete vm directory file after the failed permissions start after move.

(If you're using VMWare, this will make sense to you. Otherwise, move along, nothing to see here )

Old 05-14-2015, 03:00 PM
TheBigBee
Cargo Master
Now why are you running as admin? I do not have to do this on my Win 8.1 tablet (though it may have to do with the older version you had to use for 32bit compatibility)

Old 05-14-2015, 03:19 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by TheBigBee
Now why are you running as admin? I do not have to do this on my Win 8.1 tablet (though it may have to do with the older version you had to use for 32bit compatibility)
That may be it. I installed the VM to USB HDD, installed and configured Android, then shut down the VM, moved the files to SDCard ("External storage" may be the requirement for Admin (?)

I noticed my user (an admin account) didn't have full control over the new directory + files where I copied the VM.

I removed the USB HDD and ran VM. Once I used Run As Admin, it asked if I moved/copied/etc the VM. I said move.

It runs fine. I can connect to the ELM327 BT adapter fine with host, but not guest.

Guest shows BT is off (but also shows that for wifi which works fine, so maybe a version/update thing?)

I have enabled Share BT with Host in VMPlayer and VM settings.

I don't think I have VMWareTools installed, though. Maybe there is something in there for the Linux/guest to use BT?

I haven't had time to mount the original ISO via terminal in guest Android to install Tools (I think it is manual install in this version, Check for Updates jumps to Workstation 11, which I don't want on here)

I'm using KitKat 4.4 RC1. Maybe it has problems? I tried to use the Update in Android, but I don't think that's supported with this type of VM- no vendor site to check...

Maybe I have to look for another RC?

Which version did you use?

In your Android guest, under tablet settings Bluetooth, does it show Enabled (on)? Mine is off and when I try to enable it, it pauses, thinks a bit, then burps in my face and turns it back off

I have it setup for 2 processors, 1Gig RAM, and 16 Gig HDD, so should be plenty.

Tips? Here or PM. Just thought some of the discussion could be of interest to anyone else looking at doing this

Old 05-14-2015, 03:43 PM
TheBigBee
Cargo Master
Quick answers since I am in between jobs right now.

My install files I gave you for 64 are running the KitKat 4.4 RC1 as well.

Your wireless is not "connected" to the guest either that is why it is off because technically the guest is seeing your wireless on your tablet as its Cellular data and not as a wifi connection. if you were to attach your wifi to the guest then you could turn it on in guest and connect that why but that's just a waste of time and resources.

I did not install vmware tools in my installation.

No the update for the os will not work.

I am running 2 processors 4 Gig Ram and 20 Gig HDD.
On USB controller tab i have everything checked and usb compatibility as USB 2.0