learned three new things today and have questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 09:13 PM
jjlrrw
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
learned three new things today and have questions

new to me 2001 F350 4x4 7.3L 197K miles

First thing I learned but not confirmed: I think my fuel gauge is off and also the trip computer or there is more going on or both...

Left work drove about a mile, truck loss power I pulled into a parking lot it was idling rough and no power when applying throttle then stalled.

Fuel gauge was been between 1/8 and 1/4, after it gets down to 1/4 it does not seen to be stable moves between 3/8 and 1/8 when I shut it off this morning it was 1/4, at lunch 3/8 when leaving work 1/8 trip computed showed 48 miles till empty.

I tried to start a few times no luck, called my wife she brought a gas can I put about 2.5 gallons in still no start, took the top off the fuel filter and it was about 1/2 full. Tried a few more times no start batteries were getting low.

Went home ate and got the battery charger, returned connected the charger (outlet near by lucky) dumped in another 5 gallons of fuel tried a few more times sounds like it wanted to start so I left the charger on a while while I cycled the key.

2nd thing I learned: While waiting on the charger I started to google and read about the ICP, tried unplugging the ICP still no start but I did notice small amount of oil so sounds like it needs replacing.

Was ready to hit the send button to call the tow truck and decided to try again... It started, the first 30 seconds it ran rough and lots of smoke (I think white it was getting dark out) started to idle on its own and would smoke heavy if I rev'ed it up. I let it idle about 5 minutes and it was getting better and decided to drive it home. Smoke seem to stop after leaving and heading down the road.

On the way home I learned the 3rd new thing: I have a ELM327 wifi OBD reader I decided to fire it up and see if I could log any useful info... A few seconds after it connected the trucked died like I shut it off, I coasted into a parking lot turned off the key, disconnected the adapter and the truck fired up and ran fine.

Here are my questions...

Does this sound like I ran out of fuel?

What are the systoms I should be seeing if any from the ICP?

If you run a 7.3 out of fuel does the startup seem normal? rough running and smoke?

Thanks for all input

Old 04-28-2015, 09:19 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a small screen on the end of the fuel p/up in your fuel tank. If it breaks off, which is common, the truck will not be able to pick up fuel even though there could be 4-7 gallons in the tank. Hence the reading of between 1/8 and 1/4 of a tank. Do the Hutch Mod to eliminate this and fix the cackle issue due to air

The computer is inaccurate at best but in the above scenario it could be correct.

Replace the ICP with a OE Ford or IH part, NOT Aftermarket.

Start-up will not be normal nor will it run normal again until all of the air makes its way out of the heads...this can include smoke and rough running.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:20 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Maybe cps
Need to check it

Old 04-28-2015, 09:24 PM
jjlrrw
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by snakedoc
Maybe cps
Need to check it
I have changed the CPS and while it was not starting there was smoke coming from the exhaust pipe (I read somewhere this would indicate the cps is okay)??? Not sure just what I read

thanks

Old 04-28-2015, 09:27 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
I edited the above so you may want to re-read. Sorry.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:30 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
When you replace the ICP, if it is the original part, you will need a 5/8 in crows foot or a very short 5/8 inch wrench.

Also, clean the oil out of the connector.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:43 PM
jjlrrw
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by jhl3
When you replace the ICP, if it is the original part, you will need a 5/8 in crows foot or a very short 5/8 inch wrench.

Also, clean the oil out of the connector.
Thanks for the replies looking into to the ICP will call the dealer tomorrow.

Any idea on the symptoms from the ICP?

Old 04-28-2015, 09:47 PM
KJNDIVER
Elder User

If it were me.........When you can, fill up the truck and try driving around to work out any air in the lines to help eliminate that as an issue. The pickup foot in the tank is likely broken off and will suck air or essentially run out of fuel with about 1/4 tank still showing on the gauge. After running to get the air out, dont let the fuel get down to less than 1/4 tank until you can troubleshoot and eliminate any other issues going on before you either get a chance to drop the tank to fix the pickup, or as i did, remove the bed to gain access to the tank. If filling the tank and running the air out and it runs fine then that is your problem, if something else occurs then you can address that issue. But I would try to separate the causes and not try to diagnose multiple things at once that may have similar symptoms.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:58 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jjlrrw
Thanks for the replies looking into to the ICP will call the dealer tomorrow.

Any idea on the symptoms from the ICP?
When there is oil in the ICP, the diaphragm has ruptured and will eventually contaminate the electronics in the sensor which will cause incorrect readings to be sent to the PCM which will then send incorrect instructions to the IPR which controls the pressure of the oil being sent to your injectors. Stalls, rough starts, rough running are all symptoms until it totally fails. So, it is a matter of when and not if although some last years with oil in the plug.

Riffraff and Dieselorings.com both have better than dealer pricing on the OE part.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:17 PM
jjlrrw
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by KJNDIVER
If it were me.........When you can, fill up the truck and try driving around to work out any air in the lines to help eliminate that as an issue. The pickup foot in the tank is likely broken off and will suck air or essentially run out of fuel with about 1/4 tank still showing on the gauge. After running to get the air out, dont let the fuel get down to less than 1/4 tank until you can troubleshoot and eliminate any other issues going on before you either get a chance to drop the tank to fix the pickup, or as i did, remove the bed to gain access to the tank. If filling the tank and running the air out and it runs fine then that is your problem, if something else occurs then you can address that issue. But I would try to separate the causes and not try to diagnose multiple things at once that may have similar symptoms.

I will top it off in the AM and drive it to/from work and local great idea! got me thinking on the bed removal I do prefer to work from the top, but it also has a goose neck hitch so will need to figure out the best method for getting into the tank.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:22 PM
jjlrrw
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by jhl3
When there is oil in the ICP, the diaphragm has ruptured and will eventually contaminate the electronics in the sensor which will cause incorrect readings to be sent to the PCM which will then send incorrect instructions to the IPR which controls the pressure of the oil being sent to your injectors. Stalls, rough starts, rough running are all symptoms until it totally fails. So, it is a matter of when and not if although some last years with oil in the plug.

Riffraff and Dieselorings.com both have better than dealer pricing on the OE part.
Thanks! Doing a quick look quite a $$ difference in OEM and aftermarket for these guys. Do the cheap ones fail sooner or just not send correct reading?

Old 04-28-2015, 11:38 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Cheap one's don't last or run right in some cases. They've also been know to shut the truck off next to electrical lines and such.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:36 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Cheap one's don't last or run right in some cases. They've also been know to shut the truck off next to electrical lines and such.
^^^X2...^^^

Old 04-29-2015, 07:29 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
The cheap ICP sensors are frequently susceptible to RF interference - like a nearby transmitter. The symptom here is it kills the engine in the same location repeatedly.

The Superduty 7.3L is notorious for fuel delivery issues. Not just the stuff in the tank, but the fuel line from the tank to the pump is an issue. That line is under vacuum when the tank is low on fuel - and the quick-disconnect "seals" don't live up to their name. I would look into the Hutch mod... it's all over this forum.

The ELM327 is a unit you got online for $10-$20? What App did you use? Are the PIDs programmable? If so, where did you get your formulas to program the PIDs? There are many things that can go wrong while trying to use an inexpensive/quick approach to using the OBDII gauges. Fret not, there are many here with plenty of experience at getting the portable device to listen to the truck without issue.

Item #4 to learn: It's a Ford Superduty with a Powerstroke, not a Wal*Mart shopping cart. If you try to put discount parts in there every time it needs something replaced, it will eventually become a Wal*Mart hybrid. That will not give you the same reliability it offered the previous owners for the last 15 years.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:58 AM
jjlrrw
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Tugly
The cheap ICP sensors are frequently susceptible to RF interference - like a nearby transmitter. The symptom here is it kills the engine in the same location repeatedly.

The Superduty 7.3L is notorious for fuel delivery issues. Not just the stuff in the tank, but the fuel line from the tank to the pump is an issue. That line is under vacuum when the tank is low on fuel - and the quick-disconnect "seals" don't live up to their name. I would look into the Hutch mod... it's all over this forum.

The ELM327 is a unit you got online for $10-$20? What App did you use? Are the PIDs programmable? If so, where did you get your formulas to program the PIDs? There are many things that can go wrong while trying to use an inexpensive/quick approach to using the OBDII gauges. Fret not, there are many here with plenty of experience at getting the portable device to listen to the truck without issue.

Item #4 to learn: It's a Ford Superduty with a Powerstroke, not a Wal*Mart shopping cart. If you try to put discount parts in there every time it needs something replaced, it will eventually become a Wal*Mart hybrid. That will not give you the same reliability it offered the previous owners for the last 15 years.

Yes the ELM327 is the cheap unit and the app I was using last night was "EOBD-Facile" I don't think the PDI's are programmable, The ELM has served me well in the past mostly showing and clearing trouble codes and pending codes. I think I will keep it disconnected while driving from now on.

I will look into the hutch mod -

Thanks

Quick Reply: learned three new things today and have questions