1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Refrefreshing change at local parts store.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 10:26 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Brick and mortar stores have it rough, lots of overhead, rent, insurance etc, and I don't like shopping generally. "It's not in stock, but we can order it." Yeah, OK. Online shopping has changed things a lot.

Just be damn sure you're ordering the right part (and hope they send the correct part) that's the advantage to buying from a local parts store, the ability to inspect beforehand and make returns if necessary is a lot less hassle.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:32 PM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts
In my experience, Autozone and Advance Auto are good for fluids and batteries. For anything beyond that I'm better off going to NAPA first.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:36 PM
fladoodle
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JPMallory
In my experience, Autozone and Advance Auto are good for fluids and batteries. For anything beyond that I'm better off going to NAPA first.
I've had so many problems with the local NAPAs, saying they have a part, and then they can't find it, or they say the other one has it, we drive over, and they can't find it either!! This has happened more times than I'd like to admit... The O'reillys next to the shop has had better service, prices, and their inventory always seems to be accurate.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:21 PM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mixer man
That's what I like about the NAPA stores I deal with. They have computers, books, AND speak the language of cars and trucks.
Originally Posted by toby tough
Ditto^^Mixer Man
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Same thing happened to the Auto Zone a block from my house! The old manager was a total loser, the employees did as they pleased. Even more surprising, he hired a couple of gals who are knowledgeable and very helpful. The NAPA I go to has always been a terrific place, all hot rodders who are used to cars that aren't stock.
Originally Posted by JimG1098
Likewise on the NAPA store. They are great and have a fantastic machine shop. could not have done the truck without them
Agreed on the capability of Napa stores. I am on a first name basis with every employee at my local Napa. The owner knows my family well now that I have made a point of buying only from his store. Every once in awhile he'll give me a freebie because of my loyalty. (There are four other Napa stores in town besides his)

Old 04-14-2015, 08:59 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Local auto parts store, E&M Auto Parts, is still old school in every way. NO computers, only books. Machine shop in the back and bins of parts that were taken off cars/trucks and saved. I grin every time I go into the store!
Even their parts truck was a 1956 F250...it got damaged in a fire some time ago and was sold, I got the doors off it...

Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2015, 01:02 AM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
Local auto parts store, E&M Auto Parts, is still old school in every way. NO computers, only books. Machine shop in the back and bins of parts that were taken off cars/trucks and saved. I grin every time I go into the store!
Even their parts truck was a 1956 F250...it got damaged in a fire some time ago and was sold, I got the doors off it...
That sounds like a nice place to shop. I bet they still have stools at the counter, am I rite? It seems as if the chain stores just want you to get and go, no loitering. ITs sad, enjoy E&M your lucky to have them around.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:49 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 765 Likes on 375 Posts
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
That sounds like a nice place to shop. I bet they still have stools at the counter, am I rite? It seems as if the chain stores just want you to get and go, no loitering. ITs sad, enjoy E&M your lucky to have them around.
That's funny. At my uncle's store he has stools at his counter and folk come by just to chat. Business is never interrupted, but folk just enjoy each others company at the store.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:09 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
I worked at an auto parts store like that in the late 1980s before AZ and Advance auto took over. Stools at the counter, machine shop in the back, and racks of parts that had been there for years. Owners retired and a couple employees tried to keep it going but I think the writing was on the wall. It closed years ago.
Now the stuff I drive is too old so most of the time the local parts stores do not have what I want in stock. I have a local NAPA but they hardly stock anything either, so most of the time Rock Auto gets my business.
If these stores paid decent money I wouldnt mind working at one again someday, but you get what you pay for and I am not that cheap

Old 04-16-2015, 02:48 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 545 Likes on 351 Posts
I too like Rock Auto but sometimes the shipping from different locations can get outta hand. They really have some great deals on dealer close out items.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:56 AM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yesterday I was trying to find a power steering leak on my 98. Found a loose fitting on the pump but couldn't get a wrench on it. Thought a crows foot would work. Called O really's and asked the guy what size the flarenut was and he said he has no way of telling. I asked him if he had a hose there, he says yeah . could he check it out for me? No. I'll run down to NAPA tomorrow and get my answer.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:00 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
What a twatwaffle

Old 04-19-2015, 12:19 PM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts
Charlie,

loved the doors